May 11, 2005, 09:44 AM
Flying in Sycamore IL
Thread OP

Image Stabilization/ New Camera - Looks good

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05..._fx8.asp#press

I think I might have to get one of these and try it out.
Look like it has everything we need.

Ryan

Quote:
2. MEGA O.I.S. offers clear, sharp images in difficult situations

MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) that Panasonic thinks it indispensable for all digital cameras, especially for compact models that lack stability, is incorporated in the entire LUMIX line-up*. Every slight hand-shake movement is detected accurately with the sampling frequency at 4,000 times per second and will be compensated to render clear, sharp images.

MEGA O.I.S. is equipped with 2 selectable modes. In “Mode 1”, the O.I.S. lens continuously compensates for vibration and in “Mode 2”, the O.I.S. lens suppresses hand-shake only at the moment the shutter button is pressed. In this mode, the lens can move in all directions at the moment to maximize its effect, and higher-resolution images can be taken by capturing the image as being close as to the center of the lens. Consequently, since MEGA O.I.S. enables a beautiful picture shot without blurring at slower shutter speeds of more than three steps compared to the conventional models without O.I.S., you can enjoy shooting clear and beautiful pictures easily even in situations using slow shutter speeds, like indoor shots for portraits and nighttime scenery for illuminated objects, as well as in shootings using macro mode.
*Except for LC1.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2005, 11:04 AM
Looks like you have found me my next AP camera... Cheers ! Looks Great
May 11, 2005, 11:10 AM
Ryan, Thanks for the info. The IS (esp. the OIS of Canon) is nice to have if you are shooting with long lenses, slow exposures, small apertures, slow ISO settings and definitely VIDEO; rare conditions encountered in AP (except for video shooters) but definitely useful in regular photography. I just wonder how it compares in performance in avoiding red eye to the P-200. The quality of these new digitals have come a long way that sometimes it's just a handfull of features that do it for the buyer.

Before you buy, make sure you can return it if it doesn't live up to expectation as compared to your P-200
May 11, 2005, 11:52 AM
Wow - at 155 grams with battery and SD card - that is one incredible package.

I don't see a mention of an Infrared Port - that would make it absolutely perfect - as per the MX Prism.

I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 - 12 times optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS). It is an incredible camera, but a bit heavy for AP. I have taken a lot of shots from moving vehicles, so I know the OIS will work well for AP.

David
May 11, 2005, 05:00 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind

Lumix Lust

Seriously considering the FX8 to replace the 3700. OIS has got to be a good thing for AP. Plus... the Lumix cameras are just really nice looking! I'm saving for a DMC-FZ20 as my sidearm to replace my Coolpix 5400, too. Gorgeous camera. Gotta love the manual focus ring and constant F2.8 zoom.
Last edited by ToyBoy; May 12, 2005 at 06:44 PM.
May 11, 2005, 11:09 PM
Peakaboo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsides
Wow - at 155 grams with battery and SD card - that is one incredible package.

I don't see a mention of an Infrared Port - that would make it absolutely perfect - as per the MX Prism.

I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ20 - 12 times optical zoom with Optical Image Stabilization (OIS). It is an incredible camera, but a bit heavy for AP. I have taken a lot of shots from moving vehicles, so I know the OIS will work well for AP.

David
...and those Lumix have Leica optics.

Quick Reply