Aug 30, 2020, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Avanti XS turbine conversion to EDF

Dave Grife's build blog has inspired me to make this conversion. I had a small fuel leak in my red Avanti XS. My wife will not let me bring the plane in the house due to the diesel smell. Itís over 95 deg F in the garage. I have a blue version being delivered tomorrow along with a Shubeler 86 EDF. I removed the turbine and fuel system to get rid of the diesel smell in the fuselage. So I decided to convert this red one to EDF. Thanks to Dave Grife for his build tips. Here are some photos. I made a support cradle to hold the airplane. Used Harbor Fright angle cut-off tool and the mini belt sander to remove excess plywood rails. Only took less than 45 minutes with these power tools. I will make replacement red electronic and fuel system floor plates. Next step will be to fit in the EDF and inlet air ducts. Now most of the diesel smell is gone. Hope to be able to bring it inside the house for the remaining conversion.
Last edited by swk550; Aug 30, 2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added photos
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2020, 01:48 PM
Its looking good!
I've done exactly what you are doing with my XS; pulled out the P-100 and installed the 12S Schubeler fan and made some duct extensions. The airplane flies great!

What batteries do you plan to use? I use a 96mm exhaust opening.
Jim
Aug 30, 2020, 02:14 PM
Thread OP

SMC 6s 8000mah V2 battery

I will be using the SMC 6s (in series for 12s) 8000mah V2 batteries. I've made exhaust thrust tube extensions measuring 98mm diameter opening.
Aug 31, 2020, 08:40 PM
Thread OP

Thrust tube extension - 96mm diameter

USPS didnít deliver the edf and inlet ducts today. Hopefully tomorrow. Attached are photos of my thrust tube extension. Itís made with two sheets of Midwest Products 0.020Ē clear sheet. I marked the seam and sanded the joints with coarse sandpaper (0.5Ē overlap). I glued the joint with RC 56 canopy glue. Then I C-clamped the joint with a rod over the glue joint span and let it dry overnight. After drying I sealed both inside and outside of the joint with heavy duty packing tape. I repeated the process for the second joint. I made a round template to confirm 96mm diameter. The white disk is the diameter of the turbine thrust tube exit. I used this template to enlarge the exit hole for 96mm the extension.
Sep 01, 2020, 09:50 AM
Looking good. I have some of the SMC pack too and they work fine. I noticed the cells were very well balanced.

I do have a concern that the batteries receive no cooling air and can get pretty warm.
Was thinking about adding some NACA ducts into the hatch to direct air on them....
Sep 08, 2020, 12:45 PM
Thread OP

Inlet air duct fabrication

My DHL package from Schuleber for the 86 EDF and inlet ducts have been stuck in the USPS "in transit to next location" for almost two weeks. While waiting, I decided to build a set of inlet air ducts. I made poster paper templates and then made inlet and exhaust lite ply templates. I cut out the basic foam blocks with my band saw. Then I cut rough radii with a Foam Factory hot wire hand held wand. I had to finish sanding the foam plugs with sand paper. I used 1.5oz glass cloth and finishing resin to seal the foam plugs. Then I use Bondo Gold to fill in dents and low spots. Then a high build primer is sprayed on the plugs and sanded smooth. Finally I apply Partall paste wax mold release. After the Partall mold release is dry and buffed, I sprayed on a thin layer of PVA as additional insurance mold release. I then used West Systems 105 epoxy with 106 activator to apply the fiberglass lay up. The first layer is flexible 1.5 oz cloth followed by 6 oz weave cloth and a final layer of 1.5 oz cloth. I trim the excess cloth over hang around 4 hours into the set up time. After 12 hours into the cure time I used my air lance and 6" ruler to loosen the mold release. Then I simply cut the inside of the fiberglass air duct with a straight line. At 12 hours cure time, the fibergass duct is still somewhat flexible, so plug removal is easy. After full cure, I tape seam the cut line. The final picture shows the ducts are too long. I will trim the air exit back to match the EDF inlet bell mouth for a smoother air flow.
Sep 08, 2020, 05:14 PM
RCBuilder
swk550;
I just ordered the Avanti XS as an EDF. I didn't receive it yet but it is my impression that it doesn't come with inlet ducts. Will I have to dabricate my own too, or will the plane perform adequately without them?
Pierre
Sep 08, 2020, 05:30 PM
Thread OP

Inlet ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Deguire
swk550;
I just ordered the Avanti XS as an EDF. I didn't receive it yet but it is my impression that it doesn't come with inlet ducts. Will I have to dabricate my own too, or will the plane perform adequately without them?
Pierre
Dave Grife did a lot of testing. Performance will be greatly improved with inlet ducts. Christian at Schubeler sells them if you don’t want to make them.

Steve
Last edited by swk550; Sep 08, 2020 at 05:35 PM.
Sep 08, 2020, 05:40 PM
RCBuilder
Thanks, Steve!
I would make them myself but years of model building has made me super allergic to all chemicals used in model construction, including balsa dust. So I will contact Schubeler.
Pierre
Sep 11, 2020, 10:02 AM
Thread OP

Schubeler DS-86-AXI HDS exhaust tube

I finally got delivery of my Schubeler DS-86-AXI HDS EDF. I have fitted the exhaust tube to the EDF. For the motor wire exit I fitted a rubber grommet to protect the wires and help to seal the hole.
Sep 11, 2020, 10:18 AM
Thread OP

EDF installation

I used the rear mount hole that Sebart provided. Needed a new front mount hole to match the Schubeler mount. This is a bit tricky because the fuselage canopy flange does not allow a straight shot for drilling. I used a pointed device to start a hole. Then I made a hand drill similar the the socket head cap screw drivers. Installed 3mm blind nuts. For the hold down 3mm socket head caps screws, I don't like to use thread lock because it makes screw removal a real PIA. Instead I use bonded washers fitted with the cap screws. I did need to make special hand tools to be able to get to the cap screws.
Last edited by swk550; Sep 12, 2020 at 07:26 AM.
Sep 11, 2020, 10:32 AM
Thread OP

CC Edge 160 HV ESC installation

After the EDF installation, needed to install the ESC. It's a good thing Schubeler provided extra long motor leads. They exit just in front on the motor. This way you can install the esc connectors and test for proper rotation. Need to add color coded heat shrink to the
connectors. I need to open the esc power bulkhead access so the leads have a non binding access. Plus it gives access for the Elevator and Rudder extension leads. I used EC5 connectors for the batteries (Y connected for series voltage). I used 150 amp low spark connectors on the ESC to Y harness. The ESC is held in place with some RTV.
Sep 11, 2020, 01:30 PM
Thread OP

Inlet air ducts installed

Inlet air ducts have been installed
Sep 11, 2020, 08:26 PM
Its looking good!
Jim
Sep 15, 2020, 10:11 AM
Thread OP

Battery Tray

Pictures show battery tray installation. With the light weight 8000mah SMC batteries, for baance, the batteries need to be paced forward ans the pane balances tail heavy. Need to follow the manual and set balance at 230mm. Some people prefer 220mm.

Quick Reply