Aug 29, 2020, 11:43 AM
Build more, websurf less
Thread OP
Discussion

Interesting antenna

All,

I saw this 2.4GHz "Diamond" antenna developed by Alex Greve of Video Aerial Systems in Virginia. It is intended to remove signal nulls typically observed with a standard antenna.

In this video, Alex describes the Diamond's radiation pattern at 4:00 to 4:20.

VAS 2.4GHz diamond control antenna test (5 min 19 sec)

Jim - do you think it would be compatible with the XtremeLink Tx modules?

Thanks,

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2020, 02:47 AM
I think this is ridiculous. First of all, this guy is flying an aircraft using a FPV with no ability to see the actual aircraft (line of sight), flying it through a monitor. That is direct violation of not only the AMA, but also federal laws now.

There is no disclosed antenna dBi gain figure. If the antenna exceeds the gain of the antenna that was used during the FCC certification of the transmitter, it is illegal - no exceptions. Not knowing the dBi gain, there is also no way to know if the antenna will damage the power amp circuitry in the device that is using it (due to a matching issue).

I know enough about antenna radiation patterns to tell you that this design is not going to magically reduce nulls or fades in a spherical pattern as shown in the video. I spent a great deal of time testing antenna designs, and I do not believe that this does anything more than focus the antenna pattern to be more like a patch antenna (which will increase range as long as the antenna is positioned towards the receiver). Show me the proof (in an anechoic chamber). I tested my stuff in one, and I know what works and what doesn't.

Quick Reply