Aug 27, 2020, 11:58 AM
Jody Miller
Thread OP
New Product

Explorer Q

Im excited to share with you all the EX Q
This one is a 4 m.
The build has been slowed due to personal reasons and work but I am well on my way now.
I have captured some talking points along the way.

This thread I hope will help share the does and dont for others building a Q in the future.
Europe has already been flying this model and there are some great videos to help the process of building.
I followed these first and then added my own spice and flavor to this model.

What do you all think?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2020, 12:33 PM
Nice!
It seems that there are already several threads about Q. Me and Tuomo have mostly written to the one that is originally about Explorer BF, and maybe we will also continue there in order not to clutter this very thread
Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811
What do you all think?
Aug 27, 2020, 03:10 PM

Jyrkia

Hi,

The dog looks like TRD. Is it? We have 10 months old male and it looks like.

Br,

Jyrki
Aug 27, 2020, 05:53 PM
Jody Miller
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaro
Nice!
It seems that there are already several threads about Q. Me and Tuomo have mostly written to the one that is originally about Explorer BF, and maybe we will also continue there in order not to clutter this very thread
Aaro
Thanks Aaro, but I thought a new thread should be started about the Q
Aug 27, 2020, 05:58 PM
Jody Miller
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JyrkiA
Hi,

The dog looks like TRD. Is it? We have 10 months old male and it looks like.

Br,

Jyrki
She is a labasenji from what we know. Part Lab part Basenji
Aug 30, 2020, 07:42 AM
looking forward to seeing the progress of this build and hopefully some talk about the flight characteristics of the Q.
Aug 30, 2020, 12:55 PM
Hi,
I found it quite practical to use std servo connectors instead of plain pins - the other is the one belonging to flap servo, and the other is in the end of extension cord coming from tip. Connect them together with supplied pins and put a little bit shrink tube on. The kapton tape is there just to keep the loom nice to handle.
Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811
A bit more progression.
Aug 30, 2020, 04:24 PM
Easy way, without soldering..
We have prepare these for customer because we use it for a long time
Aug 30, 2020, 10:33 PM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapan
Easy way, without soldering..
We have prepare these for customer because we use it for a long time
At first I was confused by the way the polarities of the two plugs were reversed from each other. Then I realized that this is actually genius!

If the wing side plug is accidentally plugged in upside down, the worst that can happen is that the aileron and flap servos would be switched. No servos can get smoked due to reverse polarity.

Very smart!

Wayne
Last edited by wdwimbish; Aug 31, 2020 at 10:14 AM.
Aug 31, 2020, 08:51 AM
Jody Miller
Thread OP
I like it Aaro. Nice and clean.
Aug 31, 2020, 09:04 PM
Claude Turner
Looks like you got Ed's color scheme.
Sep 01, 2020, 04:11 PM
It certainly is a interesting color scheme and design
Sep 04, 2020, 04:24 PM
OK what are the BIG differences between the BF and the Q beside the 4 peice wing and 3 piece fuze?
Can the tip panels Ailerons, fit the old BF center panel?
Thanks
MB3
Sep 04, 2020, 05:27 PM
Camber down and screw it up.

Who new

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EYE
OK what are the BIG differences between the BF and the Q beside the 4 peice wing and 3 piece fuze?
Can the tip panels Ailerons, fit the old BF center panel?
Thanks
MB3
The changes are described fairly well on the original NAN Explorer Q announcement page.

The two piece fuse & four piece wing are HUGEly big differences.

The BF V-tail fuselage is 1.765m long - that's 5.8 feet, or 69.5 inches. Shipping or transporting a 6 foot long anything is very expensive (read about 'dimensional weight' if you're interested). I don't know the exact size you can get the new Q into, but it will be much less expensive to ship or transport (via aircraft) than the BF.

Even if you never plan to ship or transport your model, the price from SUSA should be less expensive than the BF, due to the less expensive shipping getting it here. Right?

And then shipping from SUSA to your door in the US will be even less as well, so SUSA will probably pass that savings on to you ! I know, right?

Don't delay - order today - for the spring 2021 non-Covid soaring season.

--
Greg

Quick Reply