Aug 25, 2020, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Matek H743 Wing Flight Controller w/Ardupilot (ChiBiOS)

The new Matek H743 Wing flight controller is here. The new board is similar to the 765 but with a new CAN bus interface that allows daisy chaining peripherals. A new CAN bus GPS plugs into this bus and the Pitot tube connects to the GPS with out those two using the interfaces on the board. The USB port is now USB 3! and is now on a small daughter board that connects with a cable. The daughter board also has a switchable buzzer on it. This allow you to place the flight controller deep inside the aircraft and mount the USB port in a more convenient spot for easy access.

Link to Matek http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=h743-wing

NEW Matek H743-Wing: The ultimate Matek WING FC? (10 min 32 sec)

Installing firmware on this board is different from all the other flight controller they have made in the past.

If you flash ArduPilot firmware via BetaFlight or iNav configurator. there is a known issue that flash process will freeze at 50% if “full chip erase” is selected. These can not be used to install firmware on this board.

Download the STM32CubeProgrammer to erase MCU and upload firmware http://www.mateksys.com/?p=6905

Ardupilot firmware can be downloaded here https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/stable/MatekH743/
Last edited by CG Photo; Oct 20, 2020 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2020, 03:09 AM
Saw that video last night. Looks awesome!
Aug 26, 2020, 05:55 AM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
Yes this looks quite amazing! The only question is if it spews noise out on 433mhz...
Aug 26, 2020, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
Yes this looks quite amazing! The only question is if it spews noise out on 433mhz...
Do you know we now offer a system on 915 MHZ to address this very problem

I have mixed feelings about this new controller.

1. I do not like having the USB on a separate board, even if it is faster, just seems like a hassle to hunt that thing down every time I want to use it. I have never once plugged in my Matek F765 and thought the USB speed was limiting in any way. Talk about solving a non issue...

2. I do not like the CAN Bus, I want to use a standard GPS, and other devices and not be required to purchase Matek CANBUS devices.

Matek Makes awesome flight controllers, I absolutely love my Matek F765's. It is good to see them continue to continue development, but given what I see, I would purchase another F765, not this new one.
Aug 26, 2020, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
1. I do not like having the USB on a separate board, even if it is faster, just seems like a hassle to hunt that thing down every time I want to use it. I have never once plugged in my Matek F765 and thought the USB speed was limiting in any way. Talk about solving a non issue...
I think the point is to have the USB/buzzer board permanently installed. That allows you to put the flight controller in the centre of the plane but still have access to the USB port.

Personally I think it's a great idea. I installed a USB extension in my Stratosurfer because the wings are a bit of a hassle to remove every time you want to tweak something.
Aug 26, 2020, 01:47 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
The CAN bus protocol is extremely robust, as it was developed to be used in the very harsh automotive environment. It is also fast, and allows daisy-chaining.

I am actually expecting to see a wide variety of data sharing products to be offered in a CAN bus configuration in the next few years (such as smart ESCs, FCs like this one, chargers, smart batteries, sensors, etc).

There's even a specialized version of CAN bus developed for drones called UAVCAN https://uavcan.org/

I like the remote mounted USB board with buzzer. The FC always gets buried deep inside frames and fuselages, so having a remote USB port you can mount in an easily accessible spot is an excellent idea.
Aug 26, 2020, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy
Looking at the photos, I think it is a similar regulator. I will be getting one and testing that very thing as soon as possible. Word is that they have shipped in quantity to distributors.
Aug 27, 2020, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nachie
I think the point is to have the USB/buzzer board permanently installed. That allows you to put the flight controller in the centre of the plane but still have access to the USB port.

Personally I think it's a great idea. I installed a USB extension in my Stratosurfer because the wings are a bit of a hassle to remove every time you want to tweak something.
Now that makes a lot of sense when the USB board is installed that way !!! I went from really hating that to liking it now I have easy access to the flight controllers in my planes, so I did not realize the problem until you guys pointed it out... I can see that being a problem in smaller planes.

Right now, I do not see a lot of devices that I would want that have CanBus capability. But the hobby progresses quickly, I guess one day there might be enough CanBus devices available that CanBus would be the way to go.
Last edited by JettPilot; Aug 27, 2020 at 10:14 AM.
Aug 28, 2020, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Now that makes a lot of sense when the USB board is installed that way !!! I went from really hating that to liking it now I have easy access to the flight controllers in my planes, so I did not realize the problem until you guys pointed it out... I can see that being a problem in smaller planes.

Right now, I do not see a lot of devices that I would want that have CanBus capability. But the hobby progresses quickly, I guess one day there might be enough CanBus devices available that CanBus would be the way to go.
If you got CanBus servos then you could do away with all those header pins, and the FC could be half the size.
Sep 05, 2020, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Now available for preorder from Ready Made RC for $74.99

https://www.readymaderc.com/products...ght-controller
Sep 05, 2020, 12:24 PM
Would really like to see how it works with 433mhz before committing.
Sep 05, 2020, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomic
Would really like to see how it works with 433mhz before committing.
I'll test that as soon as I receive mine and report back here.
Sep 05, 2020, 03:43 PM
Purdue Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nachie
If you got CanBus servos then you could do away with all those header pins, and the FC could be half the size.
The Hitec "MD" series servos support UAVCAN: https://hitecnology.com/actuators/md-series

That said, you don't have to use the CAN bus on this board. Regular GPS modules & peripherals will work just fine over UARTs.
Sep 08, 2020, 08:04 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
I just received a H743 Wing FC direct from Matek. Thank You!!!! I'll be adding on to this thread vs trying to duplicate.

A couple of quick observations:
1. I like the remote USB/buzzer setup. People complained about ripping the USB connector off the F405 Wing and some concerns of doing same with the F765 Wing FCs. The remote (using USB-C) appears to have a good 4-point solder joint mounting and is flat, not vertical, so damaged connectors should now be a thing of the past. The Buzzer can be turned on/off via the switch on the remote board.
2. I've never used a CAN device. I guess this will be my first time doing so with the Matek M8Q-CAN GPS/Mag sensor board. It does appear a standard UART GPS w/I2C mag sensor can also be connected to the FC in the normal way. No need to have to purchase a 'special' GPS/Mag sensor.
3. The UBEC seems to be similar/same as with the F765 Wing FC. I never had issues with 433MHz noise with the F765 Wing and my DragonLink UHF system. I'll test for noise issue when I get the H743 Wing wired up.
4. CAN system does not seem to be powered up with USB only power, but the 4v5 is powered from USB only connection. I mainly like the GPS powered by USB when doing bench testing/setups/waypoint planning. So, a UART GPS connection should power up via USB only, but a CAN GPS won't.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Sep 08, 2020 at 09:49 PM.
Sep 08, 2020, 08:59 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er

First Time Flashing Ardupilot to the FC

Probably most Ardupilot users are familiar with the steps to load a non-Pixhawk FC with Arduxxxx the first time. The following are the steps for those who aren't familar or just need a refresher.

There are a few things you need on your computer to download and use Ardupilot. 1) Betaflight for the initial firmware load, 2) Mission Planner to setup/adjust the Ardupilot parameters, 3) The appropriate Ardupilot firmware, 4) Impulse RC Driver Fixer to install the DFU Driver needed to put the FC in bootloader mode for the initial firmware flashing, 5) STM32 Driver to connect the FC to Mission Planner after it is flashed with Ardupilot. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's really not that bad.

Ardupilot Wiki has some information on installing the firmware. It might be worth the short read: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/com...ly-boards.html
The following are the procedures I've used successfully:

1) Download and install Betaflight: https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...rator/releases (Cleanflight and iNav may also work as they both load firmware via DFU mode)

2) Download and install Mission Planner: http://ardupilot.org/planner/docs/mi...tallation.html

3) Download and install the STM32 Drivers: https://kiss.flyduino.net/download/s...vers-64bit-pc/

4) Download the Impulse RC Driver Fixer: https://impulserc.com/pages/downloads

5) Download the ArduPilot firmware for your vehicle type and flight contoller: http://firmware.ardupilot.org/
1st: Select your vehicle type; Plane, Copter, etc,
2nd: Select the release type; Stable, Beta or Latest (Stable is preferred)
3rd: Find and select the board type, in this case you're looking for 'Matek H743-Wing'. Check in the 'Latest' folder if the board type isn't in the 'Stable' folder.
4th: Right click on the 'Arduxxxx_with_bl.hex' file, then select 'Save Link As'. Remember where you saved the file to, you'll need it later.

Okay, the initial downloads are complete, now let's get to work.

Part 1: Installing the DFU Driver(s)
A) Make sure you've already installed items 1), 2),and 3) above.
B) Run the Impulse RC Driver Fixer program (it's a stand-alone program, not an 'installed' program so it should be in your Downloads folder or wherever you download files to).
C) Close all other window on your PC, The Driver Fixer program runs in a small window that usually hides behind all other open windows.
D) The Driver Fixer window should show 'Searching for Device'
E) Hold in the 'Boot' button on the USB Remote Board and plug in the USB from the FC to your PC. You can release the 'boot' button after connecting the USB.
F) The Driver Fixer should find the FC and say 'Installing Drivers'
G) Wait until the Driver Fixer program indicates the drivers were installed.
H) You can now disconnect the FC from your PC. You PC should now have the drivers needed to connect the FC in 'DFU' mode required for flashing.

Part 2: First Time ArduPilot Flashing
edit: It's been reported flashing the F/C via Betaflight might not work (freezes up during the ERASE phase) when the Full Chip Erase option is selected. Try flashing w/o Full Chip Erase enabled. Also see the bottom of Post 1 for an alternative solution for first time flashing of Ardupilot firmware.
A) Run Betaflight
B) Hold the 'boot' button in on the remote board and plug the USB from the FC to the PC.
C) The Comm Port (upper right corner) should change to DFU. If it doesn't show DFU it won't flash.
Note: I used Betaflight Configurator 10.7.0 and connected the USB w/o pressing the Boot button in. The Comm Port showed the port number, not DFU. When I went to step D) (below) Betaflight asked if I wanted to go into DFU mode. I selected yes and it rebooted the board and entered DFU mode without me ever having to touch the Boot button. Just FYI...
D) Click the 'Firmware Flasher' (Sidebar on left side of screen)
E) Click the 'Load Firmware [Local]' (bottom right hand corner of screen)
F) Point it to and select the 'Arduxxxx_with_bl.hex' file you downloaded earlier
G) Click 'Flash Firmware' (bottom right hand side of screen)
H) Watch the progress bar. It should show 'Erase', 'Write', then 'Verify'.
I) Once complete you should hear the Windows USB disconnect/connect chimes. You will also probably get a pop-up on the bottom of the screen saying 'New Device Found, Installing Drivers'. It should now be installing the STM32 driver you loaded from step 3) above.
J) The COM port (upper right) should change from DFU to whatever Comm port your PC assigned. Do not attempt to connect to the FC as Betaflight won't recognize it...after all, you did install an Ardupilot firmware, not a Betaflight firmware.
K) Disconnect the FC and close Betaflight
Another Note: The above is only required the first time you install Ardupilot. Mission Planner will detect the board type after that and you can do future firmware updates/install via Mission Planner w/o having to use Betaflight.

Part 3: Connect to Mission Planner
A) Run Mission Planner
B) Connect the FC to the PC via USB cable. Wait until you here the second USB chime tone, the first will be the da-dee connect tone, then the dee-da disconnect tone
C) Select the appropriate COM port and baud rate (115200) (top right of screen). Several COM options will appear, COM1 always shows up...you don't want that one. Select the other 'COM' option shown. If no other COM port is shown then you probably have the wrong driver installed (not the STM32 driver).
D) Click the CONNECT icon (top right corner) and it should read the board's parameters. If you got this far, CONGRATULATIONS, the worst is over.
NOTE: If you ever try to 'CONNECT' before hearing the two sets of USB tones you will get a 'CONNECTION FAILED' error. Just unplug the USB, plug it back in, wait for the second set of USB tones then CONNECT. Sometimes (rarely) I've had to shut down and restart Mission Planner to get it to CONNECT after a premature CONNECTION attempt.
Last edited by Vantasstic; Oct 20, 2020 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply