Aug 25, 2020, 02:23 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Thread OP
Discussion

Old Buzzard's Soaring Book

While I sometimes lurk here, I don't usually post, but I came across something I think needs to be shared.

For decades I've recommended Dave Thornburg's, Old Buzzard'⁷s Soaring Book to new sailplane flyers. Alas, it has been out of print for at least 10 years. I've loaned out my copy at least a dozen times in that time.

Well, guess what I stumbled across today while googling something else.

https://www.digitekbooks.com/books/m...ory_pathway-36

Digitek Books has reprinted the book with Dave's permission (and probably blessing). Even better it includes the companion video (originally on VHS, but converted to a video file), which is both informative and entertaining. And all for $14.

I have no interest in Digitek Books (other than being a satisfied customer of their Model Builder Magazine digital collection). I'm just passing this on as a resurrected learning resource for beginners.

- Roger
Last edited by gnofliwr; Aug 25, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2020, 03:10 PM
Brett
Great news! It's good that people who never had an opportunity will get to read it, and that Dave will hopefully continue to make some money out of it.
Aug 25, 2020, 06:12 PM
I used to have that tape....lost the tape and don't have a VCR anymore
Aug 26, 2020, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr
And all for $14.
with a $25 minimum order.
Aug 26, 2020, 03:05 PM
Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline
with a $25 minimum order.
Less of deal, but OTOH, there's people trying to sell non top condition print versions for $50.
Aug 27, 2020, 01:06 AM
Team up with someone and buy 2. Postage is then free.
Aug 27, 2020, 10:09 AM
B for Bruce
There's enough other interesting titles that I'm sure folks can find SOMETHING to pad out the order to $25.
Aug 27, 2020, 02:16 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
I have a pristine copy bought at The Hobby Counter Johnny Clemens's, ex-AMA president, hobby shop that once was on lower Greenville Ave. in Dallas, TX. At the time I bought it Pancho Morris owned the shop. He claimed the signature inside the cover was Dave's. Both Johnny and Pancho have long since passed. I hope they both are resting in peace.

The poorly lighted shop at that time still was chock full of dusty old airplanes, kits, and hobby items one would have a hard time finding now. It to has passed when a fire gutted the entire block on which it sat. When Johnny was there it was fun to just go in, tell flying stories (lies ) and look around to see what you could uncover...those days have long since past. The younger generation doesn't know what they have missed.

Mark
Last edited by Soarmark; Aug 27, 2020 at 02:23 PM.
Sep 02, 2020, 09:50 PM
Wow, no way! I have been searching for an affordable source to buy this book from. Has anyone actually ordered it yet and received it to confirm it is for real?
Sep 05, 2020, 10:47 AM
Old newb

Not printed books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_sailor
Wow, no way! I have been searching for an affordable source to buy this book from. Has anyone actually ordered it yet and received it to confirm it is for real?
Not so fast, read the home page!!!

Quote:
All orders are delivered on our custom made DigitekBooks Flash Drives. These plug into any USB port and work just like another disk drive. DigitekBook Flash Drives will work on computers running Windows XP systems and on newer versions of Windows as well as MAC systems.
You are getting a scan delivered on a flash drive.

Likely with some form of “copy protection” (lol!)

For the prices charged you could get actual printed books.

On top of this, a lot of this sort of stuff is hosted freely around various sites already. Amazon has ebooks for much less also. There are Google scans. Hobby websites. Unless there is a must have title that you will take in any form to read......
Sep 05, 2020, 12:42 PM
Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o

On top of this, a lot of this sort of stuff is hosted freely around various sites already. Amazon has ebooks for much less also. There are Google scans. Hobby websites. Unless there is a must have title that you will take in any form to read......
But that's just it...old copies of Old Buzzard are going for $50 on RCGroups. Unless you know of another source?
Sep 05, 2020, 12:43 PM
Brett
Quote:

But that's just it...old copies of Old Buzzard are going for $50 on RCGroups. Unless you know of another source? I really wish it could just be put on the Kindle, but for whatever reason, that never happened.
Sep 06, 2020, 12:43 PM
Old newb
What I am stating is for the price you should be able to buy a newly printed one.

The seller would have to order a certain number.

Did the author really consent to this? Or even have to? Or is even alive?
Sep 06, 2020, 05:08 PM
Brett
Quote:
What I am stating is for the price you should be able to buy a newly printed one.

The seller would have to order a certain number.

Did the author really consent to this? Or even have to? Or is even alive?
Should? Maybe, but the fact is, you can't, and it's been that way for what...20 years? Dave is certainly alive, and apparently gave his permission for this. If he hasn't, I'm sure he's been informed of it.
Sep 06, 2020, 10:40 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
On the site it states:

This book and film is being reprinted with the permission of Dave Thornburg.

It comes on an easy to use USB stick. Was painless installation. Just glad it is still available. Fun and informative read.

Don

Quick Reply