Aug 23, 2020, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

TopRCModel Super Galeb G4 EDF Conversion

Hello everyone,
I decided to start posting my build of the TopRCModel Super Galeb G4. I have been making working on this, albeit slowly, for some time and I am getting to the point of having meaningful information to post. The biggest challenge in this build is the installation of the EDF unit. Others have posted build threads on the turbine version on this site as well as others so I donít see a need to post anything about the general build. Iíll focus, instead, on the unique things done to the airframe to convert it to EDF.

I currently fly a TopRCModel F9F Cougar with a Hacker Stream-fan 120/600 on 12s. I really like the aircraft and was impressed overall with the finish quality. Of course, there were challenges in construction but in general it was pretty straightforward. The flight characteristics and sound of the Cougar lead me to want to go to a larger, more complex airframe. I started looking for something in the 128mm range and saw many great conversions done by the Europeans. I liked the BAE Hawk from C&CModels in Italy. It was large and very light and accommodated an EDF easily. However, the shipping costs were astronomical. So I looked at the similar sized TopRCModel Super Galeb (which is very similar to the Hawk) and decided to save the bucks and do this conversion.

I contacted Mike Mueller at Gator/F3AUnlimited and inquired about the Super Galeb. He had a couple in stock with the blue paint scheme. I wasnít too crazy about the color scheme as shown on the website but since he had one that had a couple nicks in the paint he made me a good deal and I decided to go for it. My experience with the quality of the Cougar led me to think that I would encounter few problems with the airframe once I got it.

Initial Impressions:
It looks great in person. The pics of the blue scheme that are on the website donít do it justice.
It is heavy for its size, like the Cougar. The similar sized CModels BAE Hawk is about 2Kg lighter. My expected flying weight will be right around 13.8-14Kg. This is in line with weights I have seen posted for the turbine version (with fuel). I wish they would do an Airex version. I would pay extra for that.

The quality is good, but not as good as the F9F Cougar. There are some little fit and finish things that I didnít encounter with the Cougar. Nothing major, but some tasks took longer than they should have.

The retracts and controller seem fine. I have encountered no problems with them during my build so far.

The wing tube supplied is a very thick aluminum pipe. It weighs 385g!! I am replacing it with a CF tube and will save about 200g.

With the Schubeler HST DS-98 on 14S, it should have great performance and, on paper, should be close to a 120N turbine.

Fitting the EDF is a challenge. Lots to of stuff to remove, tight fit to get it into the fuselage due to the narrow top hatch, small inlets mean that I will need to either remove the nose gear doors or add inlets to the wheel wells.

It reall is sharp looking. The red/white lines on the bottom side are also great looking. The paint, however, is pretty brittle and it seems like the clear coat was really laid on thick. They could have saved a lot of weight here.

Small inlet diameter. They add up to about 58cm2. So, an additional 40cm2 is required to meet the FSA of 98cm2.

The supplied cockpit looks neat but it restricts the airflow if I use the nose gear door as the added inlet area. Also, it weighs 315g so I think I will leave it out and make my own lighter weight, less detailed, version in the future. For now I will just leave it open.

On to the construction stepsÖ I'll post what I have done so far and will keep updating as I make the final installation.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2020, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
First, a plan is needed to feed air to the DS-98. The kit comes with pre-installed ducting which seems identical to that in the F9F Cougar. It is pretty flimsy and too small to allow for full enclosed ducting so this will be an open duct installation. I have seen a lot of videos and posts regarding the Schubelers and open ducts so I think this will work out fine.

I contacted Christian Wileschek at Schubeler for his thoughts on this. Christian has bee a terrific help to me so far. He replies to my questions immediately and knows his stuff. I canít say enough about his support.

I will be installing the DS-98-DIA HST with DSM6043-650 motor. The controller is the MGM25063-3 X2 Series.

I sent a picture of the inlet ducting to Christian with some notes I made for my thoughts on how to modify it. You can see what my initial thought was in the pic attached. He promptly sent back an updated pic with his recommendations. I was originally thinking of removing the ducting quite far back from the fan. This would be about where the ducting is located on the T1 Sport Jet conversion pics I have seen from KenM and MarkF. However, Christian recommended running the ducting closer to the face of the fan and adding naca ducts in the wheel wells to provide the additional air flow. I am not sure if I can get the needed increased area this way so I will have to think about that.

I wrapped some CF around the ducts to add some stiffness. They are flimsy and I am worried they will flutter. I will also cut a scallop shape on the exits to help with turbulence.

Steve
Last edited by shannah; Aug 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM.
Aug 23, 2020, 02:29 PM
Battery Puffer
Looks like your getting it figured out. I would like to see how you do your naca ducts if you do them. Also I had some extra 7s 9000 mah packs made up and they will be in my next shipment. These are the same ones Bob B used in his Joker and I will use in my T1.
Aug 27, 2020, 08:10 PM
It's an interesting jet for sure, just one question, inlets? would you not agree they are smaller than you would like to get max thrust?
Aug 27, 2020, 11:50 PM
Thread OP
Yep. The inlets are too small. It needs an additional 40cm2. So I plan on leaving the nose gear doors off. I looked at adding ducts on the main gear wells but since I may eventually put the gear doors on I think the nose gear Door option is the Best way to go. It will provide more than enough inlet area.
Sep 05, 2020, 03:01 PM
Thread OP
I trial fit the drive and thrust tube. Nice to know it finally fits.

I lowered it 1/4" front and back. I made a mounting plate out of 1/4" ply as well. I haven't hysol'ed it all together yet. I wanted to verify all was lined up before doing that.

The thrust tube is mylar with an exit diam of 105mm. Minor sanding away of the rear exhaust former was required.

I had to remove a lot of material in order to drop in the motor. I picked up one of the belt file sanders similar to the one MarkF posted. Mine was from Amazon and is a pretty nice unit. I could not have ground away the material without this thing. What a great tool.

It's a shame that manufacturers don't offer a version of their jets with just the former mods required for EDF installation. It would be pretty simple for them to do that. It seems they make them to order these days (judging by the lead times quoted by the manufacturers) so it can't be an issue regarding inventory of pre fab turbine models. With the Schubeler 128mm and Jetfan 130mm working so well in these models you'd think they would try and grab the business of the jet fliers that can't fly turbines at their fields.

Anyway, attached are pics of the work in process. Nevermind the blue tape, that was just for fit check.
Sep 05, 2020, 08:53 PM
Battery Puffer
I agree with you on the tool and getting factories to do more edf stuff. But based on lead time, they already can't keep up with orders so probably don't need to worry about making edf jets.
Your install looks great. I had to cut a lot of stuff out of they way too. I bet I spent over 3 hours making wood dust
Sep 06, 2020, 01:56 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF
Looks like your getting it figured out. I would like to see how you do your naca ducts if you do them. Also I had some extra 7s 9000 mah packs made up and they will be in my next shipment. These are the same ones Bob B used in his Joker and I will use in my T1.
BTW those packs are producing big numbers in my Joker, very pleased with them!
Oct 24, 2020, 04:56 PM
Thread OP
I received the 9000 7s batts from Dinogy. Thanks Mark.

I did a weight and CG check so I could take the final steps and figure out the battery tray and mounting.

I did a weight check and with those batts it came in at 13.41KG. There are a few minor things to add but that should only be a couple ounces. So I am really happy it is under 30lbs.

I fired up the fully installed drive and thrust tube. I only ran up a bit over half throttle looking for any airflow issues. I didnít have everything anchored down inside so I didnít want to go any further. Everything was solid. No sucking-in of the intakes, fuse wasnít showing any deformation and I had a lot of suction at the nose gear. I have to say that really got my blood flowing hearing that thing. Great sound.

Iíll keep working on it but Iím getting close. All flying surfaces are finished and servos are programmed (full SBus). I just need the final battery mount and rx/flight batts mount.
Oct 24, 2020, 05:31 PM
Battery Puffer
Looks good Steve.
Oct 24, 2020, 07:36 PM
It looks like a great job on the conversion. Can't wait for flight reports.

MarkF - Did you sell the other 2 7s9000mah packs you had made?
Oct 24, 2020, 11:26 PM
Battery Puffer
No I still have them. Let me know when your ready.
Oct 25, 2020, 12:58 PM
Awesome build you have going! Nicely done! I am also working on a couple of EDF builds with Schubeler 98's and am very intrigued with your batteries.. I'm assuming they were custom builds from Dinogy, can wait to see your numbers.

edit: just seen he has the 7s 9000 on the site ;-)
Oct 29, 2020, 10:01 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Quote:
Originally Posted by john534
Awesome build you have going! Nicely done! I am also working on a couple of EDF builds with Schubeler 98's and am very intrigued with your batteries.. I'm assuming they were custom builds from Dinogy, can wait to see your numbers.

edit: just seen he has the 7s 9000 on the site ;-)
John, I have a DS98/MGM Compro setup installed in a CARF Joker.
Current is 180amps with very little voltage depression.
Nov 07, 2020, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Iíve been wracking my brain trying to figure out a good way to accommodate multiple pack configurations. I want to be able to run the nice compact Dinogy 7s packs (14s) and also a couple other configs. One is to use my 5s packs from my F3A stockpile , so I picked up some 4s packs for this config so I can run 14s 11,600mah. That is heavier so it is placed further aft than the Dinogy. And, lastly, I want to be able to try 12S since I have a good stock of 6s packs and could run 12s 12,000mah. Sure it will be less powerful but may be good enough for a reasonable flight. Accomodating all three setups at different weights is a challenge. I decided to put in bulkheads so I can bolt one of two plates which will carry the batts. Hereís a pick of the bulkheads in process. Iíll have a final pic later.

Quick Reply