Aug 31, 2020, 08:43 PM
Wanted: More Time to Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
I'm unsure I understand the role of the Jeti system in this. Servo and ESC telemetry is neat, but Ardupilot already directly supports this when using UAVCAN servos and BLHeli or UAVCAN ESCs. And as far as the failsafe/failover scheme goes, using this thing more or less moves the single point of failure from one of the Pixhawks (which already has redundant sensors and EKF/DCM lanes) to the Jeti device.

Everything you've proposed seems well thought out, but I think it might be tough to prove that it actually reduces the risk of flight-critical failure. Redundancy is hard!
No kidding.

Regarding the UAVCAN stuff, I had worked with it since the fall of 2018, and I do not see it as mature as the Jeti telemetry systems. In addition, the way the architecture is set up is horrendous for fixed wing sUA. The power nodes for servos are poorly executed and are better suited for sensors such as GPS and ESCs which only need to provide telemetry feedback. *BUT*, the UAVCAN ESCs I tested did not impress me in the slightest and kept failing in a short amount of time. Same went for the UAVCAN servos, which didn't reach their rated specs nor gave me any confidence with their connectors lasting under a sustained amperage load.

In terms of failover, it does indeed transfer it over (however it'll be to the secondary pixhawk overseeing the primary instead of to the Jeti Central Box though that does have its own failsafe switchover function), but I feel the chance of two pixhawks failing is a incredibly low likelihood.

I will admit that there are drawbacks to my system, such as added weight and cost, but if it allows for BVLOS operations in our NAS again, that'll be great.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2020, 09:50 AM
Flying Hazard
And probably, if it does get approved there, it wil be easier to approve elsewhere too, which is a great thing not just for the US but globally.

Poer to the people!
Sep 02, 2020, 06:53 PM
Small update:

Lab access has finally been restored, so I'm planning to utilize the next few days to set up and test the system, stay tuned for updates!
Sep 04, 2020, 07:25 PM
We finally got to get some work done in the lab!
The good news: The pixhawk systems are working with the Jeti systems as designed so the system is conceptually sound!
Things to improve: The telemetry reading device is missing a setting to read the data from the central box, so a call to Jeti on Monday should resolve that issue
Pardon the mess, but the system is coming together nicely
Sep 11, 2020, 12:46 PM
Registered Offender
What is the dominant method for controlling pitch in flight? Electromechanical, hydraulics, Or just mechanical?
Sep 17, 2020, 07:35 PM
Good evening Nietzche, I assume you mean propeller pitch in flight?

It'd be a mechanical system using a servo and other hardware to control propeller pitch in flight, and then have the Pixhawk control that whole system using telemetry feedback
Sep 20, 2020, 01:58 PM
Well, we've been busy in the lab.
Finally got the remaining parts in needed for Phase 0.5 for ground hardware/software testing of the concept.
We've also been busy completing the fundraising goal by working with our donors, which has been a lengthy process

One note, if anyone is well-versed in Jeti systems, I was informed the Jeti R4L can communicate with the Jetibox Profi, but shouldn't it also be able to communicate with the CB210 as well?...
I'll figure it out in due time.
Sep 21, 2020, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdogzrc
Well, we've been busy in the lab.
Finally got the remaining parts in needed for Phase 0.5 for ground hardware/software testing of the concept.
We've also been busy completing the fundraising goal by working with our donors, which has been a lengthy process

One note, if anyone is well-versed in Jeti systems, I was informed the Jeti R4L can communicate with the Jetibox Profi, but shouldn't it also be able to communicate with the CB210 as well?...
I'll figure it out in due time.
Jeti R4L if connected using EXBus to the CB210 will stream telemetry, but you cannot operate your servos. The Jeti bus system will overtake S.Bus you are using. There is no way of splitting data stream for telemetry and PWM.

Zb/Esprit
Sep 25, 2020, 08:51 PM
Oh, so it can do either S.Bus or ExBus, but not both?
Hmmm that may complicate things slightly

Quick Reply