Review - 1/10 Capra 1.9 RTR - From the Box to the Rocks!

RCGroups very own Jim T. Graham hits the trail with the RTR Capra from Axial! What was once only a kit is now an RTR that can run with some of the best rock crawlers in it's class!

Splash

The Axial RTR Capra Can Get You There!

RTR Capra RTR
Battery:Reaction 2S 50c 4,000mAh
Length:17" (431.8mm)
Weight:4.5lbs (2.04kg)
Servos:SPMS614 Metal gear high torque steering servo, axle mounted for better steering in full articulation SX107 Micro Metal Gear servo for 3rd Channel Dig operation
Radio:Spektrumô STX3 3-channel, 2.4GHz
Motor:B540-size, 35T brushed motor
Brakes:Integral with ESC
Available From:Horizon Hobby through your local hobby shop
Street Price:$499.99

Here is a real deal rock crawler that is a ready-to-run right out of the box. The previous version was a kit build. If you are looking for a highly capable rock crawler that is fully tricked-out and RTR this might be the dream rig you have been waiting for. It's loaded with features that will get you up the inclines and over large obstacles.

As my photos show the Capra RTR only needs to be removed from the box, the lipo charged and batteries added to the provided Spektrum STX3 3-channel, 2.4GHz radio. You will need a 7.4 2S lipo and that's it. The TX was already bound to the truck after I installed batteries.

In this review I have a video of the Capra RTR taking on my local trail. I also have photos that show off all the features of this rock rig from Axial. The only tricky part I ran into was how to get the 4,000 mAh battery and connector to fit in the battery compartment. I have a little video showing how I did it in this review.

I'll get straight to the conclusion and then you can check out the Capra - this thing is awesome. I did a little fine tuning on the TX and I was off to crawl my favorite trail. I had zero issues out on the trail with mine.

My original goal was to shoot the best review video I could but I was quickly reminded how much fun rock crawling can be. Finding your line and driving in a scale-like manner quickly became the focus for me and I let the camera operator (my daughter) focus on getting the shots.

I was very interested in the DIG feature but I wasn't sure when I would use it. You will see in my video that that it became pretty obvious when I needed to lock the rear axle up to get down a rock face. I literally laughed with glee!

To go straight from the box to the rocks is pretty amazing but I expect nothing less from Axial and Horizon. You know you are getting a rock solid product and the only thing left to do is have some fun.

Below are my close-up photos on the big features of the Capra RTR. I love this little crawler and it look cool too!

Videos

Trail Crawling with the Capra

Axial Capra 1.9 Unlimited 4WD Trail Buggy Brushed RTR - Trail Crawling (3 min 30 sec)

Battery Install Tip

I had to figure out how to get the Reaction 4,000 mAh lipo to fit into the battery bay. Here is my quick video on how I got it to fit...

How to install the Capra RTR battery... (0 min 55 sec)

Features and More

Large Skidplate with Boatsides - The Capra features a small skidplate footprint with boat sides. This helps you get over and slide off trail obstacles.

Spektrum STX3 2.4GHz TX - The included STX3 3-channel has throttle/steering reversing, throttle/steering travel adjust & throttle limiting, as well as third channel button controls for DIG operation. More on DIG later.

Nitto Trail Grappler Tires - These are great on dirt, rocks, and all other off-road trails. The S30 compound Nitto Trail Grappler 1.9 tires can get that extra bite when you are trying to pull yourself up.

6MM Stainless Steel Links - The links are 6mm stainless steel high grade plastic rod ends for durability. All links are metal including the steering.

DIG Transmission - The ground up designed transmission features a "Dig" function. With the new STX3 transmitter, the user can "switch" between 4WD and locking the rear axle while powering with front drive only, allowing for tighter turning radius on the rocks. The transmission also includes a full set of ball bearings and all metal internal gears for strength and durability. Micro Dig Servo SPMSSX107 included!

View the video of this in action here (Click for link).

Large Bore Aluminum Shocks - The newly designed, tunable oil-filled shocks are feature hard anodized, threaded shock bodies and a single coil over spring. The increased bore size creates more fluid volume. A bleed screw helps to bleed air from the shock during assembly for greater consistency.

WB8 HD Wildboar - The front and rear driveshafts have a larger diameter cross pin (2x11mm) along with an M4 Screw Shaft (2mm hex drive) and center splined slider floats between each end and has added material to reduce flex and fatigue.

Currie F9 Portal Axles - The Currie F9 Portal Axles add substantially more ground clearance at the diff pumpkin while also providing an excellent 7.39:1 gear ratio. Completely ball bearing driven, and metal gears throughout for durability.

Cool Realistic Interior - The Capra RTR has a polycarbonate interior tray with molded driver figures, full color pre-cut decals with simulated carbon fiber panels, mock GPS navigation gauges and switches, two black styrene helmets with visor decals. Too cool!

Axle Mounted Servo - This improves steering control in full articulation.

Led Light Bar and Headlight LEDs - The front grille has two headlight lenses with light buckets and a white LED light installed in each. The roof mounted LED light bar looks very cool!

Easy Clips - I love the included clips. Behind the grille, under the hood, are two hood mounts with clips. Remove the clips to raise the hood up and gain access to the battery tray. The tabs making grabbing (and finding the tabs) much easier.

@13949971

35T Brushed Motor - A rock crawling motor has to have an even balance of speed and crawling. The included 540 size, 35T motor has enlarged cooling ports for extended periods of use. Which you will need because you can get long run times from a 4,000 mAh battery.

Photos

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers. Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com. RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge. Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author. When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication. It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Sep 04, 2020 at 11:11 AM..
Sep 03, 2020, 10:36 AM
RC Veteran
Very nice job, Jim.

I used to do reviews for RCGroups, years ago, and this was a lot of work.

Props also to your daughter, who did an EXCELLENT job on the video. What's hard for video on these sometimes is zooming in enough to get the detail needed, but not so much that it's too shaky or too hard to keep the vehicle in the frame. Maybe she had practice with planes that paid off here! You remind me of this resource; I think I'm going to recruit my daughter to shoot video of my driving some trucks. She'll love it and I'll give her the ad revenue as payment for her efforts.

I had a hard time imagining the application of completely locking the rear axle (not just locking the rear diff) to use as a selective drag brake, but your video illustrated that quite well.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Thanks! I am a huge fan of the Capra after getting out in the rocks with it! That locking rear axle was the difference between flipping and making it down upright. Very cool.

I purchased my new camera, lenses, tripod and mics a week before the lock down. I was excited to be able to use it but I had no idea how the video would turn out. Maeve is in college studying film and editing. She was out there for two hours with me shooting the little rock crawling video and was a champ about the whole thing.
Sep 03, 2020, 01:44 PM
Nicely done ! Wish I had gone for a Capra in stead a scx10 III
Sep 11, 2020, 02:59 PM
MK
MK
Currently building the kit. L-O-V-E I-T! You really appreciate the well thought out engineering (myself being one) as you build it.

I do have a SCX10 OG to entertain me while I take my time to build this thing. Now what color to paint it?????
Sep 12, 2020, 08:22 PM
RIP PRo line
I don't see the purpose of this thing, its just a 1.9 Bomber.
Sep 16, 2020, 05:41 AM
Is it a basher or a crawler? If it's a crawler, as it seems to be, why is it in the off-road forum? After coughing up $500 for it, it comes with a brushed motor?
Sep 16, 2020, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtech
I don't see the purpose of this thing, its just a 1.9 Bomber.
You dont know much about RC crawler, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Is it a basher or a crawler? If it's a crawler, as it seems to be, why is it in the off-road forum? After coughing up $500 for it, it comes with a brushed motor?
There are way more crawler kits out there you have to "cough up" that kind of cash and they dont even have electronics.

You really want to talk down the Capra , guys ?? Well ...there are obviously folks in all kind of shapes and colors.
Last edited by themountain; Yesterday at 02:38 AM.
Sep 16, 2020, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain
You dont know much about RC crawler, do you?

There are way more crawler kits out there you have to "cough up" that kind of cash and they dont even have electronics.

You really want to tal down the Capra , guys ?? Well ...there are obviously folks in all kind of shapes and colors.
This is an open discussion and all opinions should be welcome. If we don't think it's worth the dinero, amigo, then we are entitled to our opinion, lo entiendes? Do you own one of these so you are speaking from experience?
Yesterday, 02:34 AM
Because you had a bad experience with a used bashed out Yeti from ebay doesent make you an expert on Axial, does it ?
Of course you can voice your opinion, but if you even dont know if this model is a basher or a crawler ...well....whatever.
Yesterday, 04:55 AM
Most who buy the Yeti and the Capra don't use it as a crawler and then wonder why things are constantly breaking. Adios.
Yesterday, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Most who buy the Yeti and the Capra don't use it as a crawler ...
Is that so
Last edited by themountain; Yesterday at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply