Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 08, 2005, 09:34 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!

Listen To What They Say!! Lipo Fire!

I know you do not want to hear anything else from me BUT READ THIS!~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I have Lipo Batterys. I read all the saftey precautions. I follow them under all conditions. NOW!!
I woke up this morning and cooked pancakes for my wife for Moms day. We decided to invite our 2 moms (My mom and inlaw) to eat Steak and baked potatos for supper. SO!! My son and I went to the meat market to get some GOOD ribeyes for them.. My plane batteries were in the floorboard of my truck by the charger. That is where I keep them.. Now when I charge them I put them in a coffee cup to hold most of the heat just in case. After they are charged I put them on my floor board and Velcro them to the mat to keep them from moving. ANYWAY! We got back from the market and got out of the truck and went inside to ready the beef.. I looked outside and saw lots of smoke. I was thinking darn that grill started quick this time.. THEN REALIZED I HAVE NOT STARTED THE GRILL!! I ran out side and saw the flames.. They were comming from the area of the LIPOS!! I got water and told my wife to call 911.. They were AWESOME!! Bro in law is on Fire Dept. He was next door at mom in laws.. He got the call and was sitting in the car reevving up the motor waiting to hear the address. I was franticly running around trying to put the fire out! LOL.. Then he heard the address and looked over at my house, grabed his extinguisher and ran over. We got it under control before the trucks got there BUT!! (there is always a buTT) The truck is history. All under the dash is melted. Computer, speedo, radio,, and all plastic.. I rushed and got all my tools and toys out ASAP when I saw the flames. Lots of $$$ in tools... anyways. YA'LL PLEASE BECAREFUL WITH THESE THINGS!! If you think it won't happen to you.... YOU ARE W R O N G !!!
I really don't know what happened I have guessed that my power inverter got hot and the batteries were near enough and caught fire. The batteries were not charging or pluged in at all. I have been using them for like 7 months now and always watch them close.. I have checked the temp of the floor board before putting them down there. It was not hot a bit. Just a little warm. One of the batteries may have gotten too close to the power inverter and punctured on of the lipos. I really have no clue. I am just in AWE!! I Have no words for what happened.. Just a really sick feeling.. Bad thing is work out of my truck and untill I get this fixed or another. I am not making any $$$ ( got to love Cable contracting work.. )

I have pics but they are too large I will get some smaller ones tomorrow!!

LATER

INPUT PLEASE!
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2005, 09:55 PM
quote...My son and I went to the meat market to get some GOOD ribeyes for them...
I bet he stepped on one of them, or kicked it under the dashboard, causing damage.
MHF
May 09, 2005, 12:44 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
MHF brings up a good speculation. Also, what was the inverter doing? Just because there were LiPos doesn't mean that they started the fire. Finally, is there any way that the LiPos could have shorted on something? Charging in a coffee can sounds risky to me, I try to keep my stuff away from anything conductive. Sorry about the truck, good luck getting all that back together.

Dan
May 09, 2005, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighFlyer
quote...My son and I went to the meat market to get some GOOD ribeyes for them...
I bet he stepped on one of them, or kicked it under the dashboard, causing damage.
MHF
I going to bet on that!
Or maybe the inverter started the fire!

I really have no clue.
That's when Lipo's are the most dangerous!
When you least expect it!
Rickc
May 09, 2005, 08:47 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
My son could not have steped on them. They were up front out of the way. I have been told that the fire may have started in the dash and hot plastic started the lipos up. I charge them in a ceramic coffee cup thick and tall just in case they catch up. I can throw them out the window. .

I really have wathced these things. I am thinking the power inverter shorted out and got really hot and the lipos were next to it and just took the heat.. The place where the inverter was is melted...

LATER
May 09, 2005, 09:16 AM
I'm new but I've seen the videos of these things flame up. The flames can instantly spread out 4-6 feet or more. The floorboard of a truck just doesn't sound like a safe place to charge lipos.

Jason
May 09, 2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for sharing....
Pics would be great.

I'm glad all is OK. Hopefully your truck was not a new or expensive one.

Pullin'
May 09, 2005, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the fire but lets have a little common sense here.

Storing lipos (or any batteries for that matter) in a car is definitely not a good idea. Especially in a warm climate like Georgia.
May 09, 2005, 03:03 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Well they totaled it out. It was a 2001 Ford F-150 5.4.

I did not charge them in the floor board. Read the message...
Where should I store the lipos. I guess I should get a trailer for my lipos... LOL

LATER
May 09, 2005, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines
I have pics but they are too large
Online Resizer - Test Post Forum
May 09, 2005, 03:38 PM
Size Matters!
This incident raises some serious questions.
If the stored lipos ignited the fire,(accept this premis for the moment) They were not being charged, nor over/under charged, nor damaged from a crash.......they just spontainiously combusted. This would tend to indicate that lipos are unsafe in any condition and or state of storage?
May 09, 2005, 05:03 PM
Space Coast USA
powerlines,
There have been a couple of other "unexplained" ignitions. Although rare (2% from the data collected), they have occured. Thanks for reporting this incident. We all learn from other modellers experiences.