Aug 18, 2020, 02:33 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Pilot Laser 67"

Why no Pilot threads here, seems to be very Extreme Flight centric, how about some Pilot love.

Anyone getting the new 67" Pilot?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2020, 06:26 PM
I’ve just ordered one, now that they have finally arrived in the UK.
I’m looking forward to seeing how it flies compared to the 67” Edge..
Aug 20, 2020, 06:29 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
What is the Edge like, there are not many planes around in that size here. I like the new Pilot Laser for sure, looks like a step up from Pilot in design.

I flew an Edge 73" with a DA35 and it is one of the best planes I have owned,
Last edited by imacplane; Aug 20, 2020 at 06:35 PM.
Aug 21, 2020, 12:52 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm watching this thread with much interest. To get everyone warmed up here is Orel Zohar hard at work,

Pilot-RC: NEW Laser 67" (1.70m) (2 min 46 sec)

All the Best

Danny
Aug 21, 2020, 07:44 AM
Iíve got the Hamilton version of the Edge, powered by an RCGF 20cc twin. Itís still running in, so Iím being careful and slowly getting a feel for how it flies. It doesnít seem overpowered, but that should change once the engine beds in. I can say though, that the roll rate on hi rates is ridiculously fast!
Aug 21, 2020, 08:16 PM
Who are the USA dealers? Chief Aircraft and?
Aug 21, 2020, 08:21 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
I dont know, I do not live in the US
Aug 26, 2020, 02:25 AM

Itís here.

Well, it arrived yesterday. Well packaged in a substantial but plain cardboard box.
If anybody is still watching, I will post some more pictures later?
Aug 26, 2020, 02:45 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hopefully my dealer gets them, I want this to be my next plane. Extreme Flight do not really have an alternative that suits me.
Aug 27, 2020, 08:48 AM
Handicrashed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp123
Well, it arrived yesterday. Well packaged in a substantial but plain cardboard box.
If anybody is still watching, I will post some more pictures later?

Yes, please.
Aug 27, 2020, 11:34 AM

Unpacking

OK, so here are the unpacking photos.
The parts were all well packed, and secured to each other (and the box) with lots and lots of tape. I think the packer might have got carried away.
Anyway, everything unpacked, and nothing damaged.
First thoughts are that the quality of the build is as good as any other manufacturer I have seen, and a step up from the Edge 540 in terms of use of materials. Lots of carbon/wood laminate in evidence. The diagonal braces in the fuselage look like solid carbon rod, where on the Edge they are just 1/4 balsa.
There is a new system for holding the canopy on, which uses a torsion rod mounted in the fuselage. Push the rod forward and down, and the canopy unlatched. U0 and back, and it locks back into place. A simple system, that looks like it will work very well, only the centre mount part flexes every time it is used, so I wonder how long it will last...
A couple of very minor criticisms. The supplied spinner is a cheap all plastic affair, which has gone straight in the bin, and the fuel tube supplied with the tank is too narrow bore to be any use either. Why can they include a good quality tank like in the larger models?.

Iím just about to start the build, but Iíve also noticed there is no build manual available. Not even to download from the Pilot web site.
Iím sure I wonít need one, as the build sequence is fairly generic, but it would have been nice to have some info on cg and recommended throws.

More to follow....

Dave.
Aug 28, 2020, 08:32 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
dp123,

A couple of questions: Are you going electric or gas with your plane? If electric which motor?
What size are the wheels?

RCMC
Last edited by RCMC; Aug 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM.
Aug 28, 2020, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMC
dp123,

A couple of questions: Are you going electric or gas with your plane? If electric which motor?
What size are the wheels?

RCMC
Thatís a very good question.
The original plan was to go electric. But, the recommended motor (Dualsky GA2000/Pilot cc20) seems a little underpowered on paper.
I canít imagine swinging an 18x10 on a 6 cell motor?
But trying to find an alternative is proving a little challenging.
So while I am trying to sort that out, I am using it as a little experiment, and - temporarily- fitting a Saito fg21 four stroke motor.
It is purely in the interests of seeing whether it is possible to power a very agile machine with a four stroke.
I suspect it will be underpowered, but at least I will have proved the point, and then I will hopefully have decided which electric motor to fit.

The supplied wheels are about 2 1/2 inches.

Dave.
Aug 28, 2020, 02:53 PM
Sub
Aug 28, 2020, 04:41 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp123
Thatís a very good question.
The original plan was to go electric. But, the recommended motor (Dualsky GA2000/Pilot cc20) seems a little underpowered on paper.
I canít imagine swinging an 18x10 on a 6 cell motor?
But trying to find an alternative is proving a little challenging.
So while I am trying to sort that out, I am using it as a little experiment, and - temporarily- fitting a Saito fg21 four stroke motor.
It is purely in the interests of seeing whether it is possible to power a very agile machine with a four stroke.
I suspect it will be underpowered, but at least I will have proved the point, and then I will hopefully have decided which electric motor to fit.

The supplied wheels are about 2 1/2 inches.

Dave.
Hi Dave. I don't have a Pilot plane but it strikes me that the 67 Laser is a similar size to my Flex Ventique, just that bit bigger than Extreme Flight 60 planes. I have a Dualsky 5060EA motor in that. It's the 470kv version motor and frankly is ballistic power in the Ventique on 6s and a 17 x 8 JFX prop. Worth a look. You would have to get it direct from Dualsky but I've always found their direct service pretty good. The 470kv is a nicer rpm range for me than the lower 400kv of the ga2000.

Quick Reply