This thread is privately moderated by Thomas B, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 16, 2020, 11:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Discussion

Reflecting on 50 years of RC flying

Recently realized that this summer marks 50 years of RC flying for me.

Had always been into flying models (models of any kind, really) as far back as I could remember. Free flight gliders, rubber power. Started flying some control line with my dad in the mid-1960s.

In the spring of 1970, my dad invested the (then non-insignificant sum) of $219.99 on a Heathkit GD-19 RC system kit. We built a Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 powered by a Super Tigre G .23 RC glow engine.

We lived in Shreveport LA at that time, but took the Falcon 56 with us on a vacation trip to Arkansas that summer, for the first flights. We were visiting relatives in Little Rock and Russellville. We put the first flights on the Falcon 56 at the MARCS club field in Little Rock, just east of town on I-40, which is still there, today. We had a sort of substitute SMALL there in June 2019.

I did manage to crash the Falcon 56 twice that day, once mildly and once where it needed more significant repairs. It was retired after that summer and we build a Midwest Sky Squire to replace it.

My training continued at home in Shreveport after that vacation trip. We joined the Shreveport Sharks and flew at the old SHARKS field out on Airline Dr in Bossier City until we moved to Fort Worth in the summer of 1971.

I attended the Shreveport Sharks Warbirds for Warriors event this past Friday and Saturday and did meet a person or two that were club members when I was there, in 1970-1971.

After we moved to Fort Worth, I started flying smaller RC models and RC gliders in a local park. Eventually, about 1975, I joined the Fort Worth Thunderbirds and went back to flying larger RC models. Later in 1975, I scored a dream job for a young model airplane fanatic and went to work for a large mail order and retail hobby shop, the Hobby Market. Heaven.

Despite high school distractions, girls, cars, college, etc, I have flown RC every year since that first year I started. Some years, the flying was fairly minimal. Some years, I was very active in rocketry and some years was very involved with learning to fly full scale aircraft and sailplanes, but I flew at least some RC every one of the last 50 years.

And here I am, 50 years later, still greatly enjoying the hobby.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2020, 11:44 AM
funny half of my family is or was in the fort worth area

but it was my grand father in northbrook il that got me started with comet models from rubber the u control, to the beginnings of r/c in the late 70's early 80's i remember a cox glider as my first r/c success and a ton of sterling models hanging form my ceiling the best and most significant came when I bought the new designed gold berg aniversery cub, after that a falcon and the ugly stick which taught me to look and examine the planes before and after flight

there were such fun times at the flying field and now I miss those times and the people I hung with then, I'm currently unable to fly due to a car accident, worse yet I can't go out and build either the club I'm at now doesn't have the friendship of those in the past hopefully that will change
thanks for the memories

Quick Reply