May 08, 2005, 12:12 AM
Flying Models Plans
Thread OP
Gallery

FlyRC Magazine Daddy-O pull out plan build

Since there have been quite a few questions about the Daddy-O scattered in other threads, and several PMs, I decided to start the official Daddy-O build support thread. If you have any questions about the design, post them here and I will try to offer a resonable answer.

One question that has come up regards the shape of the F5A former. F5A is drawn correctly. People have rightfully gotten confused because I did not label a 1/16 fuselage doubler that extends from F4 to F6 and fills vertically between the top 1/16 x 1/8 fuselage longeron and the equipment tray. You will need to notch this doubler for the wing spars and leading edge which all pass through to be joined with F11 and F12 respectively. I wanted a little more meat there to help ensure the fuse side would be straight when it came time to mount the wings.

Here is another tip. If you prefer, cut the formers so that the upper arch is a separate piece. This will let you join the fuse sides without shimming them off the building board. You will also have easier access when it comes time to fit F11 and F12.

Here are some photos for inspiration.
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/rce/daddyo

Let's see your Daddy-O progress!

Thayer
Last edited by Thayer; May 08, 2005 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added link
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2005, 01:31 AM
TRP
TRP
Thayer,

Thanks for starting a build support thread. I had two sets of plans copied up today at Kinkos. I hope to get started on cutting parts over the next week. What did you use to form the wing tips, elevator, and rudder? The plans mention "hardboard" - did you make forms your out of plywood?

TRP (Ted)
Last edited by TRP; May 10, 2005 at 01:50 PM.
May 08, 2005, 08:32 AM
Chillin till SEFF
I think there have been a few people waiting for this one. I think once they see it happening they'll be drawn in by the beauty of it and follow suit. You out there Paul? The contest judging for this one will be here before you know it. I'll probably not make it in before the judging but you never know. What were the prizes for first place on this one Thayer?
May 08, 2005, 08:54 AM
Flying Models Plans
Thread OP
I used some 1/8-inch masonite, aka hardboard, for my templates. I just taped printouts to the sheets and went at them with my scroll saw and disk sander. I originally thought I would be laminating at least a couple sets of parts, but in the end only did the one. My second set of laser cut parts and the templates were sent off to Jason McGuire so he could build one as well. Jason designed of the original FF Daddy-O and I knew he would want to join the fun with the larger one.

Prizes will be the same as before. $250 in cash and ZAP products. The entry deadline is the end of July, so there is be plenty of time, if you don't get distracted.

Thayer
May 08, 2005, 08:54 AM

Ready to get Started

Bill,

I'm out here and chomping-at-the-bit to get started. I have my plans copied and plan to start cutting this week also. If it looks like I'll be rushed, I may not make the deadline. No wheels to build this time so it may go a little faster. I'm as anxious as anyone to see this one come together. I got my AXI for it on Friday.

Paul
May 08, 2005, 09:16 AM
TDI Abuser
Got my tails done last night hurry up guys!! fuse gets assembled today!!
Little Screamers have disapeared everywhere
anyone got dimensions for the LS motor so I can get my motor mount sorted out??

Is this the official build thread also?Do I post my pics here?

Mike,
Last edited by flyinghigh; May 08, 2005 at 09:33 AM. Reason: To add a pic.
May 08, 2005, 09:19 AM
TDI Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanpilot
Bill,

I'm out here and chomping-at-the-bit to get started. I have my plans copied and plan to start cutting this week also. If it looks like I'll be rushed, I may not make the deadline. No wheels to build this time so it may go a little faster. I'm as anxious as anyone to see this one come together. I got my AXI for it on Friday.

Paul
Hey Paul, I had no idea this was a contest..hmmmm Im already out then Im building this one for flying..Maybe the next one will be beautiful
May 08, 2005, 09:45 AM
Mike,

I see that littlescreamers.com, dynamoelectrics.com, and nesail.com is listing the Littlescreamer as available. I don't have any dimensions but I'm sure someone will offer them up. Make sure you take the pics for the contest anyway and send them in. It sounds like you're ahead of the rest of us. They still need to be for flying. Post some progress pics.

Paul
May 08, 2005, 09:47 AM
Chillin till SEFF
I have to go top the Zoo with the family now so don't have time to measure but the dimensions are in the LS thread somewhere. I'm sure if you PM Scott, Rene or rvincent they can hook you up.
May 08, 2005, 11:58 AM
John 3:16
Okay, I've got to build one of these. Can anyone pick me up a copy of this magazine and send it to me so I can get the plans out of it? I can paypal you the money. This just fits too well, not to build one.
Daddy-O
May 08, 2005, 02:32 PM
TDI Abuser

Minor imperfections?

Ok thanks Paul.Im a moron

Daddy-O this may become confusing

And note to builders below,a 1/16th difference!

and the ribs are bigger on the templates.
May 08, 2005, 08:29 PM
Flying Models Plans
Thread OP
Daddy-O,
Back issues of Fly RC are available at www.flyrc.com. We will ship them anywhere.

Michael,
It looks like you are finding a problem with F4 and 5, but on my master plan they measure the same dimension. Can you confirm those are the formers? I will check a printed plan tomorrow at the office.

The ribs are 1/8 longer than the space between the LE and TE because they are supposed to be notched into the outlines as per the plans.

Thayer
May 08, 2005, 08:58 PM
TDI Abuser
Yes F4 F5 and F6.Maybe I went wrong somewhere. ?

Yes about the ribs,Im looking at F12 as part of the L.E DOH.Sorry bout that..
May 08, 2005, 09:07 PM
John 3:16
Thayer,
Thank you for the information. I think I will call tomorrow to order the first issue and the June issue with the Daddy-O plans. I should probably start a new subscription while I'm at it, eh? Yep, I think I will. Thanks.
Daddy-O
May 08, 2005, 10:33 PM
Flying Models Plans
Thread OP
It looks like one of us made a mistake. There aren't so many under way yet that I think it is you. I'll look at the paper plans in the morning when I get in. For some reason I don't have a June copy here at home.

Daddy-O, welcome aboard, and thanks for your support!

Thayer

Quick Reply