May 07, 2005, 03:22 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Cool

The Dirty Old Smelly Socks Parkflyer

And now for something completely different…

This is just about the simplest R/C electric parkflyer you could imagine and is a riot to fly (especially for kids). It was completely designed, built, and test flown in just 1 hour late last night. Just a block of foam, a few pieces of scrap wood, and two old dirty smelly socks. The thing is powered by a Len’s 17T CD-ROM motor and a small 2s lipo battery (plus a GWS R4 receiver and Phoenix 10 ESC). Throttle is the only control.

Believe it or not, this thing actually flies quite well! See the video link below. As soon as you let it go, it spins madly and climbs straight up. You can control climb rate using the throttle. It’s actually quite stable and in calm conditions will climb or hover for as long as you want it to. But if a gust of wind catches a sock and flips it over, well, it’s all over…..the thing plummets into the ground. So it’s best flown in calm conditions and over soft grass to cushion the “landings”. This video was shot in somewhat breezy conditions, so you can see the flights were cut short…

Flight Video:
Dirty Old Sock Parkflyer (0 min 31 sec)

If anyone wants to build one, here are the parts I used for this CD-ROM sized version:

* 2 laminated pieces of 2” x 4” Bluecore in the middle
* 2 laminated pieces of 2” x 2” Bluecore on the sides
* 2.5” basswood motor mount in the center
* Two ½” wide strips of lite ply on the sides to screw the socks into
* Two dirty old smelly socks (the older and dirtier the funnier!)

I used Velcro to attach the battery to one side and simply taped the ESC to the other side. A pocket is cut into the foam to hold the receiver.

I hesitate to think of larger versions of this…..an Axi 2212 and two old T-shirts perhaps? Or maybe an Axi 2820 and two old bed sheets? ;-)
Last edited by jetset44; Jun 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2005, 03:28 PM
Lazy dog
That is hysterical
May 07, 2005, 03:31 PM
Tee Sqaured
....just when you thought you'd seen it all, thats awsome

Call it the SOCKflyer

Thomas
May 07, 2005, 03:48 PM
It's been a while.
LOL
Is it steerable?
May 07, 2005, 03:52 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Will there be a short kit? I have a 17T that'll work with that.
May 07, 2005, 04:14 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
can your feet keep up the production on making dirty socks to sell the kit?

I've seen this as a play thing for small .049 glow motors, typically using a rag. But unlike the safety of having an Rx to cut the throttle, it's an "everyman for themselves" deal.

...There is another free flight toy that would make a cool electric deal is called the "rotor-riser". Much fun. Have to see if I can get my dad to dig out the plan...
May 07, 2005, 04:40 PM
That may be the funniest thing I've seen all year!!

Ron
May 07, 2005, 05:12 PM
Nimble with Gimbals
My field already has a windsock, thank you very much!
May 07, 2005, 06:10 PM
Where's the flight video?
May 07, 2005, 06:14 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
what do the neighbor's think?
May 07, 2005, 07:16 PM
tissue for issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchandbash
Where's the flight video?

or at least a hover pic!!
May 07, 2005, 08:08 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Video link in first post
May 07, 2005, 09:22 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
This is THE COOLEST THING EVER!!! seriously though, this is just about the funniest flying thing I have ever seen.
May 07, 2005, 09:37 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
You know, the thing that's most funny about this is watching the faces of people at the field when they see it fly. When they first see it, they think it's surely a joke--there's NO WAY that thing can fly. And then I launch it and their eyes turn as big as saucers... And the way it gyrates wildly in flight keeps them in stitches!

theKM -- Yes, the original idea for this came from one I built as a teenager 20 years ago. That one was just a small block of wood with a Cox .049 attached to it, but still with two old socks. It was fun, but it was scary since it was gas-powered and you had no way to control it. You just launched it and crossed your fingers! But this version is much more refined with the throttle control--it can climb and descend and maintain a perfect hover on command!

Steve
May 08, 2005, 12:26 AM
I JUST want to FLY!
That is soooo awesome.

Quick Reply