Aug 14, 2020, 01:20 PM
Jamie
Thread OP
Discussion

Terry Plane Titan 120”

I’ve just acquired a Titan 120” and have a wish to convert this elevator/rudder controlled aircraft to full house and in addition, electric assist. I would appreciate any comments on this notion.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2020, 02:07 AM
If you want to make it something it isn't, why not start with a different design?

I admit that the addition of an ugly spinning thing is inevitable. I could even see adding spoilers.
Aug 15, 2020, 02:38 AM
One question to ask is why?
I don't know the design but enjoy it for what it is. If you want full house then find one desibned to be full house from start.
The work involved in converting- reducing diheral, cutting off and facing the flaps and ailerons , installing servos and feeding cables etc etc etc is a lot of work. It would probably be easier to build a whole new wing from scratch.
Aug 15, 2020, 08:06 AM
Jamie
Thread OP
The thing is, I’ll get as much pleasure out of building it and working out design problems etc. as flying it. That’s why I bought this kit because it is a kit and was priced within my budget. I need to know if it is feasible and some does and don’ts during the design and construction stage.
Aug 15, 2020, 08:22 AM

Terry Titan

I looked at the plans last night and yes it is doable So like you say that you like a challenge of doing things like that I say Go for it Mr. Kite
Aug 15, 2020, 09:00 AM
Balsa breaks better
I would make the spar 3/8" or 1/2" wide adding 0.014" carbon in the center section and 0.007" in the tip panels.
Shear web between the spar caps in the center section, a bay or two past the joiner on the tip panels.
Probably add 1/32" plywood to the fuselage sides, doubling it under the wing.
Change the dowel & rubber band wing mount to bolt on.

I wouldn't add a mustache but then it is not mine . . . ;>)

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Aug 15, 2020, 09:35 AM
I got the impression it was already built which is why I commented on how much work is involved in converting. If starting an unbuilt kit then it is a lot easier. It would be a nice challenge so go for it.
Flap/aileron chord about 22% of the wing chord. I'dsuggest bottom hinged flaps and top hinged ailerons. I can't suggest structure as I don't know the design.
Be aware that if you strengthen the fuselage and wings, you also need to ensure the tail surfaces/tail joiners are up to the task as well.
Aug 15, 2020, 01:05 PM
Jamie
Thread OP
Thanks for your encouragement and advice. As I’m pretty much a novice, what is 0.014 carbon and how is it used? Bye the way I lived in Loughborough, UK until 2005.
Aug 15, 2020, 01:21 PM
Last time I was in Loughborough was to visit a train museun while at school- 1979 I think.
0.014 carbon is pultruded carbon strip. I'm sure one of our American contributors can advise where you can get it.
You epoxy it to the spruce spar as reinforcement (on top of top spar and underneath the bottom spar).
Is this the model we are discussing?
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=12171
Aug 15, 2020, 02:30 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Murray View Post
Thanks for your encouragement and advice. As I’m pretty much a novice, what is 0.014 carbon and how is it used? Bye the way I lived in Loughborough, UK until 2005.
Carbon fiber laminate to the spars, makes things a bit stronger . . . ;>)

http://www.cstsales.com/a-carbon-fib...plates-48.html

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Aug 15, 2020, 03:16 PM
Jamie
Thread OP
Thanks to both of you. Yes that is the model. I heard that it doesn’t have good write ups but, it will suffice for now. I attended Loughborough University from 1974 to 1978.

Quick Reply