Sep 15, 2020, 08:35 AM
The rimfire 50CC was chosen instead of the 65CC to keep the prop size reasonable for both appearance and torque effects. The 65CC is a larger/heavier motor so you could prop it up to get more power but it's not needed, and to achieve the same wattage (horsepower) we're getting with the 20X10 and 50cc electric motor you'd need around a 26~27 inch prop on the 65CC. the torque issues would be of concern. I'm a huge believer in larger props as the efficiency goes up tremendously but my general rule of thumb is prop between 20 and 30% of wingspan to make torque effects manageable. With 20 to 22" range this is allready near 28% span. the 50CC is simply more appropriate to make a better flying model with the usable range of props for the motor.
Latest blog entry: blog
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2020, 11:28 AM
AMA 7224
Full scale Pitts have been powered with engine from 200 hp to 450 hp, just sayin'
Sep 15, 2020, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker
Full scale Pitts have been powered with engine from 200 hp to 450 hp, just sayin'
you don't get to use 450 on the ground though.
Sep 15, 2020, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Actually was a lot less than that. original single seat first flew with 55hp Also only had ailerons on the bottom wing.
Sep 17, 2020, 05:08 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
...............Plenty of room to move batteries forward several inches from where I run them now, so CG won't be an issue. ..................
About where would the lipos go. There are so many holes to strap down things. I know I can balance it myself to find CG when the time comes ,just wondering?

Sep 18, 2020, 09:30 AM
With the 50cc and 12s/5000 smart 30c packs (660 grams ea if I remember correctly), we like them 1/2" to 1" from even with the back of the battery tray. With the 7000's I put them even with the back of the tray .
Sep 19, 2020, 08:40 AM
Gary, I have seen many posts referring to the poor quality and broken formers in the fuselage. I am sure the samples Horizon received passed all your inspections and that these issues are due to the factory's change in the production run. I see they are now not available until after the first of the year and wondered if there will be some changes in packaging or build to assure receipt of a non broken airplane as I would like to put one on order with my LHS but would be rather disappointed if these issues had not been addressed.
Sep 19, 2020, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Gary, I have seen many posts referring to the poor quality and broken formers in the fuselage. I am sure the samples Horizon received passed all your inspections and that these issues are due to the factory's change in the production run. I see they are now not available until after the first of the year and wondered if there will be some changes in packaging or build to assure receipt of a non broken airplane as I would like to put one on order with my LHS but would be rather disappointed if these issues had not been addressed.
I am not sure if they are following the FG forum thread but I agree it would be interesting to get some input on what is going on with the quality issues.

-CC
Sep 19, 2020, 08:35 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
My buddy has had two fuselages delivered and both replaced , so the QC in shipping is an issue.
Sep 19, 2020, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
My buddy has had two fuselages delivered and both replaced , so the QC in shipping is an issue.
I had a fuse that was damaged in shipping and I was able to place all the damaged balsa pieces back in place because of the lack of glue. My response to customer support has gone unanswered for a replacement. Check over on the FG forum for others who are also seeing QC issues with the QC assembly of this ARF. This plane is not built to the H9 quality of the past.

-CC
Sep 20, 2020, 05:57 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
These all look like they are coming from the same factory or factory’s that make the Phoneix brand.
When I purchased my A26 from Tower /Phoniex I was very fortunate that the model was undamaged but many of the guys in the thread had major damage.
I noted the packing to tower in my review with the hopes to reduce future packing issues.
My recent purchase of the Phoniex Zero was packed flawlessly and more on par with past models.
I was looking at this Pitts for 50cc electric but I am going hold off until the packing issues are solved.

You can see where ARFs have gone, lite ply vs balsa and a lot of open areas to compensate.
Now recently I was told that the balsa demand by the windmill industry will soon diminish and mill blades will be replaced with carbon fiber. That is good news for the RC ARF industry. Rc manufactures create such a small dot on the demand of balsa leaving zero ability to negotiate cost or volume.
Last edited by Ldm; Sep 20, 2020 at 06:02 AM.
Sep 20, 2020, 07:10 PM
AMA 7224
I think the build is fine for electric power but would shake to pieces with an engine. I've had no trouble with threads being buggered up like the D-VII which lead to a number of problems. I did buy a metric tap set finally but haven't need it for the Pitts.

It goes together quickly with little fiddling other than being missing a number of fasteners which I had in shop stock. Waiting for backordered servos, motor and esc presently. Graphic from Callie are on order with 5 week wait.
Sep 28, 2020, 09:57 PM
AMA 7224
From whence doth the pilot come and what measure is he?
(Where yall get the pilot?)
Sep 29, 2020, 03:38 AM
Quote:
From whence doth the pilot come and what measure is he?
(Where yall get the pilot?)
Shakespeare ?
Sep 29, 2020, 09:14 AM
Yes, the areas reported are being discussed with the Factory. They're arriving here OK, so it's most likely the shipping from warehouse to customer. It makes sense as they're individuals being shipped , and not full containers packed with many as when they're coming from factory to here. The way they're packed it still amazes me as each part has multiple layers of packing. Always takes me a good half hour to get a model unpacked from the factory for assembly. Considering the posts and images online though, I had to go over this with the factory. Even if it all those reports totalled 1% of the models shipped it would still be too many.

As for the pilot. I used some that we had in product development and they look right for the model so We've added them as https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...HAN239025.html . Fits the front cockpit with no mods but to put it in the rear, where it should actually go,.. you have to trim the shoulders in both height and width. It's not a hard plastic pilot but a more rubbery material so I just use some scissors and it's less than a 5 minute job.

Quick Reply