Aug 24, 2020, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer11
Haven't completed my setup yet, but guess I'll find out (15 lb AUW biplane). Actually, I read that the P160 will accommodate 12S on a 19x10 APC. I bought both size props, but am leaning toward the 12S setup. Thanks for pointing out that the P160 would not be suitable for the new Hangar 9 Pitts.
It would definately fly the plane, but you'd be at about half the power that was intended for the pitts.
Latest blog entry: blog
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2020, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
It would definately fly the plane, but you'd be at about half the power that was intended for the pitts.
Might be OK for guys that just fly around, but I gotta have plenty of power to keep me happy Knife-edge loops, etc......
Aug 31, 2020, 12:53 PM
any dimensions available on the muffler tunnel ? i want to go twin canisters if possible but need the dimensions to do some planning.
Aug 31, 2020, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoworks
any dimensions available on the muffler tunnel ? i want to go twin canisters if possible but need the dimensions to do some planning.
Here are some pics.
Sep 02, 2020, 10:32 AM
I will be following the thread as I am especially interested in people installing a smoke system, gas engines (esp if anyone installs a DA), and canisters.

Excited about this airplane
Sep 02, 2020, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
I will be following the thread as I am especially interested in people installing a smoke system, gas engines (esp if anyone installs a DA), and canisters.

Excited about this airplane

the DA 70 twin is narrower accross the plugs than a DLE 60 twin according to the drawings in the specs so it should/could be a drop in with maybe some spacer/stand off work
Sep 02, 2020, 09:56 PM
AMA 7224
Arghh...now I have to get one to go with my two other Pitts. I have a Rimfire 50cc in the giant scale Fokker D7 and it is a monster power plant turning a 24 x 8 and it pulls the Fokker straight up out of sight.
What other smaller motor would be good for the Pitts/ I can use a 50cc again if needed.
Sep 03, 2020, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker
Arghh...now I have to get one to go with my two other Pitts. I have a Rimfire 50cc in the giant scale Fokker D7 and it is a monster power plant turning a 24 x 8 and it pulls the Fokker straight up out of sight.
What other smaller motor would be good for the Pitts/ I can use a 50cc again if needed.
i'm a bit of a pittsaholic too, 2 UMX's the Efite foamy and an old Kyosho with a YS63 on the nose.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Interesting question about a smaller motor. Had both of the models in the video at a local event last weekend and had my valiant 30cc there too. Got me to thinking,.. my valiant 30cc is about the same weight the pitts would be with the same power 180 in it ( about a pound and a quarter lighter than the rimfire 50cc)My valiant hovers nicely and pulls out well, and will do an enormous knife edge loop,.. so whenever I get time between other priorities I want to try the power 180 setup in the pitts. Plenty of room to move batteries forward several inches from where I run them now, so CG won't be an issue. Would drop from roughly 6000 watts peak to around 3000 watts peak but significant weight loss so It should be very good. Also currently have two 2-cell 4000mah packs in the electric model for the powersafe receiver/as3000/servos and a 160 ESC with fan. This is the model that was used for the manual, so it has the equipment shown in the manual. Changing to the power 180 and going with a new avian 120 using the bec would probably lose 2 lbs or more
Sep 03, 2020, 02:29 PM
Gary -- What size prop and motor battery are you running on your Power 180 setup?
Sep 03, 2020, 03:53 PM
I'm using 20X10 xoar and 12S/5000.

Ali is using the same motor/battery with 22X10 and I believe he used 22X12 on one of the timber 110's . Also has 22" prop on one in an rv-4. i really thought that's too much prop for it but has been working fine for him .
I just found an old spreadsheet where I originally tested the power 180 on 12S. 20X10 was 74 amps peak and 3300 watts, 7530 rpms. new batteries probably increase those numbers
Sep 03, 2020, 05:13 PM
AMA 7224
I bit the bullet and have one enroute. She will be in good company with the little and mid size ones
Sep 04, 2020, 08:01 AM
MK
MK
Quote:
I bit the bullet and have one enroute. She will be in good company with the little and mid size ones
You need a UMX Pitts to complete the picture.
Sep 05, 2020, 03:42 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I have never owned a Pitts , this would be my first if I take the plunge.
Just some basic observations as I fly mostly warbirds.
1) short nose = challenge for CG is dead weight , no mention in the early notes
2) for me and epower , i would rather have the 50cc on 12s vs smaller motors smaller lipos and dead weight. Again have not owned a pitts , just an assumption on needing nose weight from the appearance.
3) You can see what appears to be the continued used in all these ARF of more light ply. While some think its great its clearly a result of cost. Balsa is up, demand from non -hobby industry is up so ARFs of getting more light ply = more weight per sq inch .
I just took delivery on the new Phoniex Zero 120 size , lots of ply all over the model.
I am not saying its bad , I just saying its adding to the wing loading therefore the need for more power .
Sep 08, 2020, 06:38 AM
There is no nose weight used in the pitts, either gas or electric. the electric model, as shown in the videos, has the batteries positioned at the rear of the battery tray with several inches in front on the tray so if you actually wanted to fly it very noseheavy you could. Just slide the batteries forward. No "dead weight" is needed with either power system. As for weight, this model is compared to the old Great Planes Pitts by many. It has a lower wing loading than the old GP pitts as it is larger (roughly 20+% more wing), and lighter than many report their finished weight of the old GP model.

Quick Reply