Aug 13, 2020, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
New Product

X16 Integrated Flight Control System

The X16 is the little brother to the X24. It has most of the same basic features, except it does not have a built-in BEC for ignition systems or the AutoMatch feature, the current limit is 50A per battery, and there are only 16 servo ports. Other than those things, it is functionally identical to the X24.

This device acts as a power expander (providing high current for your servos), replaces your switch system with a high current version, replaces your match boxes, and can use up to 4 serial based receivers (SBUS, XBUS, etc.)... and more!

Some key features:
  • Dual 50A power inputs, controlled via a "soft" switch.
  • 4 receiver inputs, supporting 11 different serial protocols (XPS Xtreme, Spektrum, SBUS, SBUS2, XBUS Mode A, XBUS Mode B, Graupner SUMD, JETI UDI12, JETI UDI16, JETI ExBus, and Multiplex SLRX).
  • A version for use with Spektrum satellite receivers is available, but it requires JR to PH cables or adapters.
  • 16 output ports, each individually programmable for the channel assignment, end points, neutral point, subtrim, reversing, and failsafe positions.
  • 16 individual 3 stage sequencers (for gear doors, making pilots wave, or whatever you can dream up!)
  • Buffered servo outputs, with ignition noise immunity.
  • Auxillary power input. Fully isolated 3rd power input. So, you could have both of the main power inputs fail and the 3rd input would still fly your plane.
  • OLED screen
  • Measures voltage 1000 times per second to show you REALLY what is going on.
  • Data logging of voltage, receiver packet loss, and more!
  • ..and much more!
to remove ads between posts
Thread OP
reserved
Thread OP
reserved 2
Aug 13, 2020, 03:27 PM
Thread OP

X16 delayed due to manufacturing errors

This is precisely why I don't like to give release dates.

After months of trying to get plastic enclosures for this product made (at a reasonable price in the wake of PPE being far more lucrative for plastic injection companies), I opted to go with the "sandwiched" PCB method to protect the board and make it mountable.

Today I expected to announce this product and begin shipping, but a series of errors in the manufacturing process is delaying that.

First error was a simple and easily correctable oversight on the assembly house's part. They neglected to insert and solder 4 connectors (RX1 through RX4). I got pictures of the boards all packed up and ready to ship with this error and they had to unpack all of them and fix them. They will be shipped out today or tomorrow from what I am told.

The biggest problem is that we received the top and bottom circuit boards that make up the sandwich. The manufacturer decided to put their house part number right in the middle of our board! To make matter worse, the bottom board only has one side with the black solder mask. The other side was never coated. These arrived today (after much delay), and I am already screaming at these folks for this oversight,because they did the SAME THING on our prototype boards and absolutely assured me that this would not happen on the production boards - and it did!

So, we are looking at probably another week before we can have the everything here for assembly, programming, and testing.
Aug 13, 2020, 04:41 PM
X16 looks great Jim! Can you post the price?
Aug 13, 2020, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciusna
X16 looks great Jim! Can you post the price?
If I'm not mistaken, Jim has already mentioned $99.00 ........?
Aug 13, 2020, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Yes, the price will be $99.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:06 AM
Jim, any update on the progress.
Sep 03, 2020, 11:32 PM
Thread OP
Well, we got the new upper and lower boards. The lower board is fine, but the upper board has the cutout for the OLED screen too large. So, I think I will just recess the screen so it is flush with the board instead of trying to mate it to the inside surface of the upper board. We literally got two complete batches that were wrong, in back to back weeks now. I am not sure how some people stay in business sometimes. I am looking at the best way to isolate the OLED from the board as it can't vibrate or the glass can shatter.
Sep 09, 2020, 09:31 PM
This thing is so awesome. I’m going to have to build another plane just so I can buy one of these.
Sep 29, 2020, 03:55 PM
Jim, any updates
Yesterday, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Still working out ways to assemble these things.

Quick Reply