Aug 12, 2020, 05:51 PM
Son of a Sailor
Thread OP
Discussion

Market Research - Steam Auctions

Greetings,

I am NOT posting for sale (YET).
This is market research.
When they are for sale I will post in the SALE category.

SITUATION:A local boat builder died suddenly last month. His family has asked me to assist in helping them to sell some items.
There are a number of Steam Plants, with various accessories, mounted on wood boards.

In some cases they are "factory configured"
In most cases they are "user configured" - Cheddar Boiler / Saito Engine. etc.

Most are New/Dusty or Very Low Mileage. Purchased in 2000-2005 (estimated)

We are still looking for documentation but it may have been lost as the family did not
realize the importance.

So, my question is this:
Sell them as "sets" or "Mix and Match"
Meaning Price them so you can choose the boiler and the engine for the same price as a pre-configured set or you can just buy parts separately.

They are:
3 - Horiz Cheddar Boilers
3 - Vert Cheddar Boilers
3 - Saito Horiz Boilers
1- Kingdon - unsure of Maker

Stuart D10/Reversing/Feed pump - looks to be a Factory build.

Cheddar Pintail
Cheddar Gemini
Cheddar Proteus

Saito T2DR
Saito T3DR
Saito V4PR

All comments welcome. Please answer as if you "might" be in the market -

BUT DO NOT OFFER TO BUY ANYTHING YET.
I do not want to break the rules here and I am still pulling the inventory together and figuring out the shipping so I do not stumble out of the "gate".
I expect to start posting in the next week or so.
I will post either here or at Mayhem and if not sold, will move to other boards/Ebay.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, Co
USA
Last edited by jpdenver; Aug 25, 2020 at 06:10 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2020, 06:51 PM
I suggest mix-n-match. Sell each item separately. Offer a deal on shipping multiple items in one shipment. My $0.02.
Aug 14, 2020, 09:53 AM
Agreed with beazld. Also may offer 10% off if one purchases a motor and boiler, any combination. I would guess some potential buyers already have a motor they scooped up, and are just waiting for the right boiler or vice versa.
Aug 14, 2020, 01:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
IMO, if you want the maximum money to help the family, list each item separately if it is already separate. If it is a complete power plant, list it as such. Put the items on the auction site, with a reserve price of your choice, based on what you think is the lowest you would sell it for. Then let the bidders drive it up.

I have seen complete power plant setups sell for quite a lot of money. Some people would love to have one, but are not model engineers with the building experience and tools to make one. And many of those folks are quite well off and can afford it.
Aug 18, 2020, 01:40 PM
I agree with Kmot.
Aug 19, 2020, 10:20 PM
Son of a Sailor
Thread OP

Auctions Start on Monday.

Thank everyone for the opinions.
Here is a picture of about 90% of the collection.

Auctions start on Monday the 24th and will run for 5 days.
Not everything is go on at the same time.

All sales will be via eBay.

Thanks for reading -
Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO
USA
Aug 20, 2020, 07:46 AM
Son of a Sailor
Thread OP

Ebay Auction Info

The Collection will be posted individually with a few complete sets.

The keywords will be: Model Marine Steam
Aug 21, 2020, 09:04 AM
Son of a Sailor
Thread OP

Auction Locations

The Auctions will open Monday Aug 24th (USA time)

They will be in my store:

https://www.ebay.com/str/hilltopboatworks

Hope you like the stuff.

Regards,
Jim Pope
Denver, CO USA
Aug 25, 2020, 06:09 PM
Son of a Sailor
Thread OP

All auctions now loaded

All of the auctions have been loaded.

Hope you see something you like.

https://www.ebay.com/str/hilltopboatworks

Thanks, Jim Pope
Jun 17, 2021, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
IMO, if you want the maximum money to help the family, list each item separately if it is already separate. If it is a complete power plant, list it as such. Put the items on the auction site, with a reserve price of your choice, based on what you think is the lowest you would sell it for. Then let the bidders drive it up.

I have seen complete power plant setups sell for quite a lot of money. Some people would love to have one, but are not model engineers with the building experience and tools to make one. And many of those folks are quite well off and can afford it.
It is sometimes hard to tell what a model steam plant is worth. It might be worth having an expert take a look at the collection to see if there are any that might be high-value items. You might be surprised. I agree Kmot, list separately. If it is rare and old, find out what it is worth and set the reserve appropriately.
Jun 17, 2021, 07:58 PM
Son of a Sailor
Thread OP
Thanks for the posting but this set of auctions was held last September.
Lots of happy buyers and the family was very happy.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply