Aug 11, 2020, 11:44 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Build Log

Brewster F2A - Buffalo

This time I decided to build an airplane model called Brewster F2A - Buffalo. I was inspired by the models that I saw at my fellow modellers during the competition in Płock.

Name: 04 Komiks.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 152.1 KB
Description: Name: 00 Malowanie.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 58.9 KB
Description:

The Brewster F2A Buffalo is a fighter plane, produced in the USA in 1937-1942. The first version was marked with the symbol F2A-1. Only a few dozen of this version of the plane were manufactured. 44 of them (B-239) were sold to Finland. The F2A-2 and F2A-3 versions of the aircraft, produced in 108 copies, served the aviation of the USA, the Netherlands and Great Britain.
The Buffalo was not a successful project, so when the war started it was worse than the German Bf 109.
It is a rather little-known plane of the Second World War. It was used during the war between Finland and the Soviet Union. The most famous pilots who fought on Buffalo planes (B-239) are: Ilmari Juutilainen and Hansie Wind. For this reason, I decided that my model would be painted in Finnish aviation.

As always, the wings and fuselage were cut out of EPP foam by Marek from napolskimniebie.pl. Their weight is 171 g. The model will have a wingspan of 86 cm. The supplied KIT has a lot of bulky items, but my first impression is very positive. I will try to get the final weight of the ready-to-fly model about 400 g.

Name: 01 Paczka na wadze.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 2.11 MB
Description: Name: 02 Klocki modelu.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 2.13 MB
Description: Name: 03 Kadłub z klocków.jpg
Views: 9
Size: 1.94 MB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2020, 01:01 AM
Oh. That shop has quite a variety of foam kits. (click a flag for translations of the site)

Are you planning to use the winter scheme that you posted?
Aug 13, 2020, 11:36 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
Oh. That shop has quite a variety of foam kits. (click a flag for translations of the site)

Are you planning to use the winter scheme that you posted?
Yes, the model will be painted exactly as in the picture above.
Aug 13, 2020, 11:42 PM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Brewster F2A - Buffalo - Part 1

I start with the engine cover which is quite large. I install the EMAX XA2212 1400 kV engine in it. It is more powerful than the EMAX CF2822 motor, but consumes more electricity. For this reason, the model must be built in such a way that the current is sufficient for 5 minutes of air combat.

Name: 05a Silnik w masce.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 1.89 MB
Description:

The hull of the model is hollow inside. Thanks to this, there is a lot of space for electronic equipment. After gluing the fuselage elements, a strong structure is created. Still, I stick in reinforcing carbon rods.

Name: 06a Wydrążony kadłub.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 2.34 MB
Description: Name: 07a Kadłub 1.jpg
Size: 2.69 MB
Description: Name: 08a Kadłub 2.jpg
Size: 1.94 MB
Description: Name: 09a Kadłub 3.jpg
Size: 2.02 MB
Description:

The pilot's cabin, which was supplied in the kit, is stiff and large. It will be removed when inserting the battery.

Name: 10a Kabinka nad modelem.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 2.02 MB
Description:
Aug 14, 2020, 12:36 PM
They were also used at the Battle of Midway where they flew from Midway Island by the USMC. They did quite poorly; to be polite, against the Zero.
Aug 19, 2020, 02:45 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Brewster F2A - Buffalo - Part 2

Buffalo has a distinctive large diameter engine cover. The engine hood will be removable on my model. During the flight, it will probably generate a lot of aerodynamic drag. To reduce the weight of the model, I removed a lot of EPP from the inside of the fuselage. This creates a lot of space for electronic equipment.

Name: 11 Osłona silnika.jpg
Size: 2.16 MB
Description: Name: 12 Usunięte rdzenie.jpg
Size: 848.1 KB
Description: Name: 13 Wnętrze kadłuba.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 2.01 MB
Description:

I assembled the model from the previously prepared elements. Its weight is 314 g. The appearance of the plane matches its name Buffalo. I used 24 g of paint to paint the model.

Name: 15 Model 1.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 1.91 MB
Description: Name: 16 Model 2.jpg
Size: 1.93 MB
Description: Name: 17 Model 3.jpg
Size: 2.04 MB
Description:

I obtained the following physical model parameters:
  • Wingspan: 86 cm
  • Maximum height: 17 cm
  • The maximum width of the fuslage: 12 cm
  • Length: 58 cm
  • Ready-to-fly model weight: with Turnigy 1.3 Ah battery and ESC 30A: 442 g.

Below are some photos of the model before its first flight. It's nice in my opinion.

Name: 18 Buffalo 1.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 3.36 MB
Description: Name: 19 Buffalo 2.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 3.44 MB
Description: Name: 20 Buffalo 3.jpg
Size: 3.67 MB
Description: Name: 21 Buffalo 4.jpg
Size: 5.68 MB
Description:

Name: 22 Buffalo 5.jpg
Size: 4.81 MB
Description: Name: 23 Buffalo 6.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 5.29 MB
Description: Name: 24 Buffalo 7.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 6.47 MB
Description: Name: 25 Buffalo 8.jpg
Size: 1.39 MB
Description:

First flight tomorrow. I hope it will be ok.
Aug 19, 2020, 03:50 AM
Looks about right. Are you going to use it for Combat?

Is there a legal reason not to put full historically correct Finnish insignia on it?
Last edited by perttime; Aug 19, 2020 at 03:58 AM.
Aug 20, 2020, 04:16 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP
In our country, the swastika sign is perceived completely differently than in Finland. Instinctively, the swastika is only associated with Nazism. Not everyone knows and understands that this symbol has been with the Finns since the Iron Age. For this reason, and not for legal reasons, I abandoned the original swastika and introduced it in a simplified form.. I don't want to arouse unnecessary emotions. Sorry if you are dissatisfied. Finns and Poles, supposedly the same, but different …
Aug 20, 2020, 05:38 AM
It is a pity that the short guy with the funny moustache has stolen a symbol that was used by peoples all over the world.

But let's not get stuck on that. We are all the same but different

Did you fly it already?
Aug 24, 2020, 09:27 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Brewster F2A - Buffalo - Maiden flight

This is the first flight of the model.

Brewster F2A Buffalo (2 min 50 sec)
Aug 25, 2020, 10:13 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareczek
This is the first flight of the model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN-2...ature=youtu.be

very nice! interesting repaint. Were the yellow wingtip markings original to the Finn scheme or did you add that for vision?

I like it!

I totally understand the anti nazi sentiment and it is a shame the Finnish insignia likeness gets the german nazi treatment.
Aug 25, 2020, 12:22 PM
The yellow wing tips match the image that was used for reference. The amount of "Eastern Front Yellow" on Finnish war time aircraft varied. A quick search didn't find me period photos that would settle the matter, used with the "winter camo".

.... The black Fighter Squadron 31 badge on the nose of the aircraft is supposed to be a pouncing Lynx, not a dog or wolf.

edit: oooops, I just realised that the national insignia is backwards on the fuselage.
Last edited by perttime; Aug 25, 2020 at 12:27 PM.
Aug 25, 2020, 03:54 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
The yellow wing tips match the image that was used for reference. The amount of "Eastern Front Yellow" on Finnish war time aircraft varied. A quick search didn't find me period photos that would settle the matter, used with the "winter camo".

.... The black Fighter Squadron 31 badge on the nose of the aircraft is supposed to be a pouncing Lynx, not a dog or wolf.

edit: oooops, I just realised that the national insignia is backwards on the fuselage.

I hear you with the pouncing lynx being less distinct than what might help. The US Marine VMF 214 and mostly on later VMA214 planes the charging black ram has changed format through the years, sometimes an undecipherable black streak blob and then more modern ones went back to a better clearer ram picture. I have some squadron photos but my dad has kodachrome slides from his service in Viet Nam. Even planes varied the ram during the same time frame.
Aug 25, 2020, 04:25 PM
I can't find the Brewster Buffalo on the Polish web-site, could you post a link please, I really like the look of it

Edit - just read the Polish version of your build thread and it seems that you got a special build, that's a shame as I think that your version looks great - almost cartoon-ish (but in a good way), I really do mean this in a positive way
Last edited by MikeHRC; Aug 25, 2020 at 04:58 PM.
Aug 28, 2020, 12:10 AM
Rufous Horse
Thread OP

Brewster F2A - Buffalo - mistakes

Sorry for inverted national insignia and thank you for your perceptiveness. It was my mistake - inverted template. I have already repainted the insignia on the fuselage.

Name: 26 Buffalo 9a.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 4.20 MB
Description: Name: 27 Buffalo 9b.jpg
Size: 4.46 MB
Description:

When it comes to drawing a lynx, my skills were not enough, so this animal looks more like a wolf. I think the wolf is no less valiant than the lynx. The model is not a mock-up and belongs to the ESA (Electric Simple Aircombat) class, so please forgive some mistakes. I'm glad you like the plane. After adjusting the settings, it flies more dynamically than in the movie.

The EPP KIT of the model is available here.

Quick Reply