Aug 08, 2020, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help with Bird of Time construction - from original plans

Hello there.

I am here studying the plans of the Dave Thornburg's Bird of Time (RC Modeler Magazine) and have two doubts.

What is the thickness of the fuselage side balsa panels? I found the doublers width (1/64" ply) but couldn't find the numbers for the sides.
(Also , the doublers are positioned at the inner side of the panels, right?)

If I strictly follow the plans, the bottom/front fuselage block outline overlaps the bottom/rear fuselage outline. One of the two was drawn too long, it seems.
Is it me or any of you noticed the same?

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2020, 07:19 PM
Hi, you're right about the size of the fuse sides.
No where on the plan does it get a mention the width of the balsa ,but I'm sure its 3/16"and the 1/64 ply is on the inside.
Good luck with the build
Aug 08, 2020, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3810
Hi, you're right about the size of the fuse sides.
No where on the plan does it get a mention the width of the balsa ,but I'm sure its 3/16"and the 1/64 ply is on the inside.
Good luck with the build
Many thanks :-)
Aug 11, 2020, 12:35 AM
Was just looking at my Marks Models Bird of Time kit I had purchased years ago off the Bay, incomplete, so had obtained replacement parts from Tower, knowing that their version was redesigned somewhat.

Noticed in my kit plans that the thickness of the fuselage balsa sides had been added to the original RCM plans by someone handy with a Leroy lettering set, the added lettering is not as bold as the others in the plan.

In the other photo, the balsa nose block is superimposed over the 1/64" ply doubler, and the bottom front fuselage 3/8" balsa part will eventually rest against the bottom of the nose block as the build continues.
Aug 11, 2020, 04:03 AM
why not consider 1/8 lite ply bottom, nose till aft of the wing, then balsa, as well as 1/8 balsa sides with perhaps 1/32 or 1/64 ply doubler

The nose is nice like shown here as a good spot to place your 4 cell eneloop

Using fillets at the bottom corners will allow nice rounding as well.

whacker
up early in the Waughs River Valley
Last edited by whacker; Aug 11, 2020 at 04:24 AM.
Aug 11, 2020, 08:43 AM
Walter:
That is a very robust looking fuselage you got there! Looks like you were going for strength over lightness. That should stand up to the rigours of thermal seeking rather well I'm thinking...

Lyle
Aug 11, 2020, 08:50 AM
Robust Lyle

?

what did ya think , it was built like a tank.

I am aiming for sub 32 OZ BoT, you thinking I am not gonna reach that Goal

whacker
Aug 16, 2020, 05:23 AM

Landings are Imminent

fuse needs to take that

24 hrs later after a coat of paint, and a lot of sanding all with 100 grit paper

It loads up quick, a file card comes in handy for cleaning'

a little lite filler here and there, and I'll be ready for some more Paint.

Hard edges require extra care when sanding, like where the plywood doubler bleeds thru

whacker

in the sunny Waughs River Valley
Aug 21, 2020, 07:03 AM

Scratched Wings

Gonna mate them to the fuse real soon, and see how that works out

May even give the package a hand toss or two

whacker
in the calm and sunny Waughs River Valley

Quick Reply