Thread Tools
Aug 07, 2020, 10:31 PM
Tezact
tezact's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

How can the US get rid of a US President ?


Just what procedures are there built into the US system of governance to get rid of a President apart from an election?

Can that system be improved and if so ..... how?
Aug 07, 2020, 10:35 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
RumRunner_1492's Avatar
They can be impeached and voted out by the Senate. The democrats tried with a flimsy political attack and it failed in epic fashion. The real question is should the get rid of a duly elected president and why?
Aug 07, 2020, 10:50 PM
Orange Lives Matter!
RCWorks's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezact
Just what procedures are there built into the US system of governance to get rid of a President apart from an election?

Can that system be improved and if so ..... how?
You should worry more about your neighbors in the EU.
Aug 07, 2020, 11:23 PM
Registered User
Windrider53's Avatar
More
Aug 07, 2020, 11:59 PM
Tezact
tezact's Avatar
Thread OP
Not at all Windy.

It is a genuine question. Whether it's Trump, Nixon or Clinton.

I thought impeachment and a vote by the Senate was the same thing. ..... is that mechanism still appropriate?

Are the current methods good enough for the modern world?
If not, how could they be improved ?
Aug 08, 2020, 12:17 AM
Registered User
QUEBRANTAHUESOS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezact
Just what procedures are there built into the US system of governance to get rid of a President apart from an election?

Can that system be improved and if so ..... how?
Just for mere example, there is a system known here as "revocation of mandate" that works, it seems to me, under the citizen vote and under certain circumstances foreseen in the Law, in fact we are working here to implement this figure-system in our legislation.

From wikipedia (translation):
The revocation of the mandate, revocation of mandate or recall referendum is a procedure by which citizens can remove an elected official from public office, before the end of their respective period, by direct voting or by collecting signatures, depending on the geographic or population dimensions.

Through this procedure, constituent citizens can terminate the mandate they have conferred on an elected authority, such as president, a district representative before a legislative assembly, a governor or mayor, whose foundation would be the principle of political freedom of citizens to elect and depose their rulers in a representative democracy. It is a mechanism for the interruption or early termination of the popular mandate.
Last edited by QUEBRANTAHUESOS; Aug 08, 2020 at 02:07 AM.
Aug 08, 2020, 06:57 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
RumRunner_1492's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezact
Not at all Windy.

It is a genuine question. Whether it's Trump, Nixon or Clinton.

I thought impeachment and a vote by the Senate was the same thing. ..... is that mechanism still appropriate?

Are the current methods good enough for the modern world?
If not, how could they be improved ?
They are not the same thing. The House can have an impeachment hearing and decide if a president should be impeached or not. It's not supposed to be politically based but with Trump it was.

Once the House impeaches it moves to the Senate for a trial. That trial is where the Senate decides the fate of the president. In Trump's case the House found not prove their case so the Senate voted not to convict.

It should be very hard to remove a duly elected president. It should not be done lightly and should be a last resort. Our process works and worked with Trump. Why improve something that works well?
Aug 08, 2020, 07:05 AM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Not applicable to the US president. IIRC, you won't find the word "mandate" in the US Constitution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEBRANTAHUESOS
Just for mere example, there is a system known here as "revocation of mandate" that works, it seems to me, under the citizen vote and under certain circumstances foreseen in the Law, in fact we are working here to implement this figure-system in our legislation.

From wikipedia (translation):
The revocation of the mandate, revocation of mandate or recall referendum is a procedure by which citizens can remove an elected official from public office, before the end of their respective period, by direct voting or by collecting signatures, depending on the geographic or population dimensions.

Through this procedure, constituent citizens can terminate the mandate they have conferred on an elected authority, such as president, a district representative before a legislative assembly, a governor or mayor, whose foundation would be the principle of political freedom of citizens to elect and depose their rulers in a representative democracy. It is a mechanism for the interruption or early termination of the popular mandate.
Aug 08, 2020, 07:13 AM
Registered User
AA5BY's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezact
Just what procedures are there built into the US system of governance to get rid of a President apart from an election?

Can that system be improved and if so ..... how?
The USA has two systems, other than the election every four years.

The first is conviction by 2/3 of the Senate body following articles of impeachment initiated by the House body. Partisan politics makes it difficult.

The second is by authority of the 25th constitutional amendment, which requires the vice president and a majority of the president's cabinet but the president can appeal that to the congress which would then require 2/3 of both houses of congress to sustain the temporary action of the VP and make it permanent.

Thus... it is very difficult.
Aug 08, 2020, 07:36 AM
Multirotor geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezact
Just what procedures are there built into the US system of governance to get rid of a President apart from an election?

Can that system be improved and if so ..... how?


I don't get why you're so interested in our politics and laws. There's enough things wrong with your own surroundings to fix, why not try that? If your life has become so entangled in what we in the U.S. do, you should probably change it so it isn't. It seems so many folks from abroad are fixated on what we do while their own countries fall into despair around them.



Clyde
Aug 08, 2020, 07:39 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
I don't get why you're so interested in our politics and laws. There's enough things wrong with your own surroundings to fix, why not try that? If your life has become so entangled in what we in the U.S. do, you should probably change it so it isn't. It seems so many folks from abroad are fixated on what we do while their own countries fall into despair around them.



Clyde

As June Cleaver would say, "Gee, Ward, aren't you are being kind of rough on the Beaver".
Aug 08, 2020, 07:46 AM
I'd rather be Flying
davecee's Avatar
Rough on the Beaver (0 min 4 sec)
Aug 08, 2020, 07:46 AM
Registered User
Erich Preitler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
I don't get why you're so interested in our politics and laws. There's enough things wrong with your own surroundings to fix, why not try that? If your life has become so entangled in what we in the U.S. do, you should probably change it so it isn't. It seems so many folks from abroad are fixated on what we do while their own countries fall into despair around them.



Clyde
Nah, it's more like watching a sitcom or a series like GOT , noone's falling into despair.

No, the US are a selfish, bullying country and unfortunatly what happens there affects a lot of other people. Looking at your candidates the world wonders if you all either lost all interest in politics, your mind or if common folk has no say anymore and a degenerate, greedy political caste runs things, like in good old monarchies. That 2-party system just looks ridicoulous, where's the failsafe if both mess up?
Aug 08, 2020, 07:47 AM
"Cavalos do Co"
coriolan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
I don't get why you're so interested in our politics and laws. There's enough things wrong with your own surroundings to fix, why not try that? If your life has become so entangled in what we in the U.S. do, you should probably change it so it isn't. It seems so many folks from abroad are fixated on what we do while their own countries fall into despair around them.



Clyde
Its because we find your political circus....'interesting'
Aug 08, 2020, 07:50 AM
Multirotor geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Preitler
Nah, it's more like watching a sitcom or a series like GOT , noone's falling into despair.

No, the US are a selfish, bullying country and unfortunatly what happens there affects a lot of other people. Looking at your candidates the world wonders if you all either lost all interest in politics, your mind or if common folk has no say anymore and a degenerate, greedy political caste runs things, like in good old monarchies. That 2-party system just looks ridicoulous, where's the failsafe if both mess up?
You know, at one time, Europe used to "rule the world", now, ha, a blip on the radar to Russia, China, and the U.S.. How'd that happen????



Clyde


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! How do I get rid of an audio hum? Please help if you can! ronnw FPV Equipment 18 Feb 22, 2018 10:18 AM
Complaint How to get RCG to get rid of shill accounts? Z06 Tony Site Suggestions / Complaints 8 Aug 24, 2017 10:46 AM
Help! Warps: How Can I Get Rid Of Them? Monza Red Balsa Builders 4 Oct 21, 2016 10:29 PM
Help! New 50cc Yak. anyone know how I can get rid of my radio interferance??? Sahrens New Forum Requests 1 Nov 27, 2012 09:51 PM