Aug 07, 2020, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Getting back into RC?

OK so I am just returning to flying RC airplanes after being away for 15 years. When I was in it before I was just starting to learn how to fly 3-D. Well I was looking through the closet and found a Hacker A20 -20 L motor, with cc esc ,and a tp 1320 battery.
Im wanting to find a rc plane that will help me learn 3-D. I welcome any kind of input to help find good one? Thank you very much.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2020, 02:56 PM
Fully Sending It
All of that gear is pretty dated and you won't find many offerings out there specifically for it. I'd suggest starting fresh, Hitec/Multiplex USA is having a sale right now on their awesome profile foamies. These things all fly incredible and are durable as all heck. They have a money saving combo going on right now where you get the motor/esc/prop/servos and airplane for a sweet discounted price

https://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/3...oamie-Specials

Jase Dussia flies the Multiplex FunnyCub! (5 min 20 sec)

Jase Dussia flies the Multiplex indoor Extra 330SC! (2 min 18 sec)

Jase Dussie flies the Multiplex Challenger! (5 min 6 sec)

The FunnyCub is a particular favorite, it flies smooth and easy, but gets gnarly with cranked up throws.
Aug 07, 2020, 03:11 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
So is that about a 55g 1000kv motor? At the cheap end it should work for:

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...ummer-arf.html

Obviously you can spend more and get better. But this ought to do for a cheap intro to 3D.
Aug 07, 2020, 03:42 PM
Nothing's wrong with the equipment you have if you're just learning, although it is quite dated. It would probably match up well with a 39" Value Hobby EPP foamie.
Aug 07, 2020, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
Thank you very much for the help. Yea I bought it a long time ago and wasn't sure if it would match up with any current air frames. If I can use it that would be awesome,If not I've got my eye on a 48" Extreme flight edge(w/ new motor/esc/batt).
Aug 07, 2020, 05:41 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Russell
Yea I bought it a long time ago and wasn't sure if it would match up with any current air frames.
Guys, gravity doesn't age, and nor do good electric motors or speed controllers! Come on now! It makes absolutely ZERO sense to toss an excellent motor and ESC, which is what you have here!

Lipo batteries, of course, do age, and you will probably find your old battery is useless after so many years. Most likely it will need to be recycled (discharge fully using a resistor, poke holes into the pack with a nail, soak in salt water for a few days, dispose of in the trash. That was the official recommendation back when Lipo packs were new.)

But the motor and ESC you have are good ones. Most of the newer (cheaper) stuff is lower quality. Hacker makes good outrunners! Please don't toss or set this aside, it would be a waste of an excellent power system.

For 3D, the key thing is simply the all up weight of the model. Find a new model that weighs the same (or a bit less) than the models you enjoyed flying with your Hacker 2020L in the past, and which gets good reviews from other pilots here on RCG.

Is this the Hacker A2020L you have? https://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-a...ess-motor.aspx

-Flieslikeabeagle
Aug 07, 2020, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagle
Guys, gravity doesn't age, and nor do good electric motors or speed controllers! Come on now! It makes absolutely ZERO sense to toss an excellent motor and ESC, which is what you have here!

Lipo batteries, of course, do age, and you will probably find your old battery is useless after so many years. Most likely it will need to be recycled (discharge fully using a resistor, poke holes into the pack with a nail, soak in salt water for a few days, dispose of in the trash. That was the official recommendation back when Lipo packs were new.)

But the motor and ESC you have are good ones. Most of the newer (cheaper) stuff is lower quality. Hacker makes good outrunners! Please don't toss or set this aside, it would be a waste of an excellent power system.

For 3D, the key thing is simply the all up weight of the model. Find a new model that weighs the same (or a bit less) than the models you enjoyed flying with your Hacker 2020L in the past, and which gets good reviews from other pilots here on RCG.

Is this the Hacker A2020L you have? https://www.espritmodel.com/hacker-a...ess-motor.aspx

-Flieslikeabeagle
Yes sir, that is the motor I have! I only got to do one flight on the old plane it was mounted on. The. It got stuck in the back of the closet and destroyed from shuffling around.
Last edited by Shaun Russell; Aug 07, 2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Sp
Aug 07, 2020, 06:13 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Yes sir, that is the motor I have!
It's a really good motor. Premium quality compared to 99% of what is on the market these days. Nothing from Hobby King / Bangood / Ali Baba even comes close. Cherish and enjoy your Hacker!
Quote:
I only got to do one flight on the old plane it was mounted on.
Do you remember the ready-to-fly weight of the old model? Or do you remember the name of the model, so that you can Google its ready to fly weight?

-Flieslikeabeagle
Aug 07, 2020, 06:27 PM
Got shenpa?
If you're using the Hacker-recommended (for 3D) 10x5 APC E prop with your Hacker A 2020L motor, you can expect peak motor current draw around 20 amps from a 3-cell lipo pack, and about 35 ounces of thrust.

These days even a 900 mAh (25 C or better) pack can supply that much current, though flight times will be short.

Is your ESC rated for 20 amps or more? I don't think you mentioned it, but if you used it with this motor before, and nothing fried, that presumably means the ESC is adequate.

If you can keep the ready-to-fly weight of the model to 16 ounces or less, you will have plenty of power to hover, and to go into vertical flight straight from a hover.

3D flight was never my thing, so I have nothing useful to contribute regarding good 3D models for you. Just pick one that you can build to no more than 16 oz ready to fly, with your 2-oz motor, plus whatever your ESC and battery weigh.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Aug 07, 2020, 06:51 PM
Take a look at Twisted Hobbies 39” series, I would recommend the V3 Edge. The Revolto is pretty nice but for someone just getting back in and a relative beginner at 3D the Edge would be the best model. Your motor and esc would be a good match. My limited experience with Hacker motors is really good quality but not the most power in their weight range, but nothing wrong with them. In all of my 48” or smaller planes the best for quality, price, and power have been the Sunnysky X version 3 motors. My first Sunnysky motor is about 8 years old, been through three airframes and has been pushed real hard and is still going strong.
Aug 07, 2020, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It's a really good motor. Premium quality compared to 99% of what is on the market these days. Nothing from Hobby King / Bangood / Ali Baba even comes close. Cherish and enjoy your Hacker!

Do you remember the ready-to-fly weight of the old model? Or do you remember the name of the model, so that you can Google its ready to fly weight?

-Flieslikeabeagle
I wish I could find it. I just spent the last hour trying to find a picture or info and came up with nothing.
Aug 07, 2020, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinteriorguy
Take a look at Twisted Hobbies 39 series, I would recommend the V3 Edge. The Revolto is pretty nice but for someone just getting back in and a relative beginner at 3D the Edge would be the best model. Your motor and esc would be a good match. My limited experience with Hacker motors is really good quality but not the most power in their weight range, but nothing wrong with them. In all of my 48 or smaller planes the best for quality, price, and power have been the Sunnysky X version 3 motors. My first Sunnysky motor is about 8 years old, been through three airframes and has been pushed real hard and is still going strong.
Will do...
Aug 07, 2020, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
If you're using the Hacker-recommended (for 3D) 10x5 APC E prop with your Hacker A 2020L motor, you can expect peak motor current draw around 20 amps from a 3-cell lipo pack, and about 35 ounces of thrust.

These days even a 900 mAh (25 C or better) pack can supply that much current, though flight times will be short.

Is your ESC rated for 20 amps or more? I don't think you mentioned it, but if you used it with this motor before, and nothing fried, that presumably means the ESC is adequate.

If you can keep the ready-to-fly weight of the model to 16 ounces or less, you will have plenty of power to hover, and to go into vertical flight straight from a hover.

3D flight was never my thing, so I have nothing useful to contribute regarding good 3D models for you. Just pick one that you can build to no more than 16 oz ready to fly, with your 2-oz motor, plus whatever your ESC and battery weigh.

-Flieslikeabeagle
I believe it was a 20 amp but it was a long time ago. Perhaps you can tell from the pictures?
Aug 07, 2020, 08:41 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
I wish I could find it. I just spent the last hour trying to find a picture or info and came up with nothing.
No worries! With all the input on this thread, we're starting to narrow down the possibilities already.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Aug 07, 2020, 08:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
No worries! With all the input on this thread, we're starting to narrow down the possibilities already.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Yes sir. I thank you and everyone else for the help to get me started again!

Quick Reply