Jan 20, 2022, 03:11 PM
https://youtube.com/RC4ever
Whoa, where did you get that pilot figure?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2022, 03:22 PM
Old man racing an old car!

CG Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever
Whoa, where did you get that pilot figure?
Its another file from Max, on GC Trader.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mo...sian-jet-pilot
Jan 21, 2022, 07:24 PM
Awesome, thanks!
Jan 26, 2022, 12:00 PM
w00t

MiG-29 Fulcrum ✈️ Crazy Maneuvers! ♪♫ (14 min 10 sec)
Jan 27, 2022, 07:08 AM
I could put the first 2 flights in at the beginning of this week.
Overall I'm happy with it. It's really a big bird and very different than my Flexjets and the Eflite Viper 90.

On my second flight I used some older batteries and I nearly crashed.
Are you using the flaps for take off?

Surprisingly I didn't need the flaps for the landings, which is an indicator for me, that the jet isn't too heavy.
I will stick to my 660g batteries as I think, that more weight will have a bad impact on the flight characteristics and I also will get a problem with the CG.

Are you all transporting the MIG already with wings attached or do you assemble them on the club field?

It's a real tight fit in my car...
Jan 27, 2022, 08:30 AM
I'm pondering the issue of transport right now as well. Model remains on the workbench as I consider my options. Regarding the wingspan, unless I clock the model 45° for entry through the rear door of my SUV, it won't fit. And once inside, it needs to sit on the landing gear else I'll need a platform to raise it a bit off the hips of the lower sidewalls.

Don't really want to fuss with removing the wings, especially as one wing is so tight on the tube removing it is a bit of a chore. My present thought is to leave that panel plus the tube installed and remove just the one wing panel for transport. Overall, score one for 3D models vs jets in the ease of transport category.

Regarding the nose cone, do you guys use an adhesive or leave it alone and rely on the magnet to hold it in place? Strikes me as a singularly great design touch to make it easy to remove. Anyway, the model will 'just' clear lengthwise with it in place but I like the idea of removing it.

Are spares for these readily available? Wondering because when I wanted to refresh the decals of my HSD F-16 (T-Bird colors), I learned the decals are made of unobtanium. No, not the end of the world but a mental strike against HSD in future because decals are very, very easy to keep in stock. Note, we produce a model helicopter and despite decals being dead money inventory-wise, we always maintain stock. This, to satisfy the odd bit of demand. Thus, I do have experience in this regard to back up my opinion. So back to the MiG.29, are the nose cones readily available?

An update on the fan saga. Decided repairing the supposedly new fans I'd purchased from a fellow RCGer wasn't for me after hearing back from Schübeler advising against my proposed repair. Mostly I was irritated the units were represented as brand new only for seller to subsequently say I should make a claim of the USPS when the package had clearly not been damaged in transit. In any case, he shipped and insured the package making him the USPS's client (meaning responsibility for making a claim was on him, not me).

So from the get go the whole thing didn't sit well with me. Then, astonishingly, PayPal determined despite my returning said fans, I wasn't to be reimbursed. Do what??!? This meant I was out both the fans, which I'd returned, 'and' my $700. Well, no, that wasn't going to fly so I called my account representative to inquire. You don't have an account representative? Well then, heads up!

Anyway, since this wasn't my first rodeo, photos of the package upon arrival, of the subsequent unboxing, and of the damaged unit, plus forwarding the manufacturer's response advising against repair soon cleared this up to the rep's satisfaction and my account was refunded. Word to the wise, it seems despite having 'all' the facts on my side, PayPal will just as soon leave you hanging out to dry. Color me disappointed.

Meanwhile, I have both the stock fans and some FMS aftermarket units, which I've purchased. And while quite honestly I was 'very' interested in what I would learn swapping these plus the Schübeler fan units in and out, it wasn't meant to be at this point in time. Fortunately, I've got plenty on my plate so I suppose it's better for me but nevertheless, I was very much interested in the results of the comparison. Oh well.
Jan 27, 2022, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech
I'm pondering the issue of transport right now as well. Model remains on the workbench as I consider my options. Regarding the wingspan, unless I clock the model 45° for entry through the rear door of my SUV, it won't fit. And once inside, it needs to sit on the landing gear else I'll need a platform to raise it a bit off the hips of the lower sidewalls.

Don't really want to fuss with removing the wings, especially as one wing is so tight on the tube removing it is a bit of a chore. My present thought is to leave that panel plus the tube installed and remove just the one wing panel for transport. Overall, score one for 3D models vs jets in the ease of transport category.

Regarding the nose cone, do you guys use an adhesive or leave it alone and rely on the magnet to hold it in place? Strikes me as a singularly great design touch to make it easy to remove. Anyway, the model will 'just' clear lengthwise with it in place but I like the idea of removing it.

Are spares for these readily available? Wondering because when I wanted to refresh the decals of my HSD F-16 (T-Bird colors), I learned the decals are made of unobtanium. No, not the end of the world but a mental strike against HSD in future because decals are very, very easy to keep in stock. Note, we produce a model helicopter and despite decals being dead money inventory-wise, we always maintain stock. This, to satisfy the odd bit of demand. Thus, I do have experience in this regard to back up my opinion. So back to the MiG.29, are the nose cones readily available?

An update on the fan saga. Decided repairing the supposedly new fans I'd purchased from a fellow RCGer wasn't for me after hearing back from Schübeler advising against my proposed repair. Mostly I was irritated the units were represented as brand new only for seller to subsequently say I should make a claim of the USPS when the package had clearly not been damaged in transit. In any case, he shipped and insured the package making him the USPS's client (meaning responsibility for making a claim was on him, not me).

So from the get go the whole thing didn't sit well with me. Then, astonishingly, PayPal determined despite my returning said fans, I wasn't to be reimbursed. Do what??!? This meant I was out both the fans, which I'd returned, 'and' my $700. Well, no, that wasn't going to fly so I called my account representative to inquire. You don't have an account representative? Well then, heads up!

Anyway, since this wasn't my first rodeo, photos of the package upon arrival, of the subsequent unboxing, and of the damaged unit, plus forwarding the manufacturer's response advising against repair soon cleared this up to the rep's satisfaction and my account was refunded. Word to the wise, it seems despite having 'all' the facts on my side, PayPal will just as soon leave you hanging out to dry. Color me disappointed.

Meanwhile, I have both the stock fans and some FMS aftermarket units, which I've purchased. And while quite honestly I was 'very' interested in what I would learn swapping these plus the Schübeler fan units in and out, it wasn't meant to be at this point in time. Fortunately, I've got plenty on my plate so I suppose it's better for me but nevertheless, I was very much interested in the results of the comparison. Oh well.

Sorry to hear about the fans, I was curious as to how they would perform, but I’m glad to hear PayPal took care of it in the end. I just put FMS 2100s in mine so I’m excited to find out how they fly this weekend.

I have a Mini Cooper Countryman and I have no option but to remove the wings and nose cone for transport. Eventually the tube begins to slide on and off a little easier.

So far I’ve bought two nose cones and they’ve been available anytime I’ve needed one. Motion is pretty good about having spare parts in stock. There’s a small wood plate that goes glued into it and between that and the magnets, its more than secure enough on the plane. No need to glue it. What breaks most often for me at least is the pitot tube. Normally due to forgetting it’s on and walking into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan 27, 2022, 08:50 AM
I heart EDFs!!
In stock as of now at least:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...cone-fj3161105
Jan 27, 2022, 08:50 AM
I heart EDFs!!
In stock as of now at least:

https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...cone-fj3161105
Jan 27, 2022, 09:10 AM
Retired US Navy
Don't compare FreeWing and Motions stock of spares ​to any other company, there just isn't a comparison.

The nose cone and pitot on it are so big and get in the way so easy I recommend using the magnets, not gluing it on.

I'll stick with my original suggestion of keep it simple and use the stock fans and ESCs

It's a surprise PP only cares about themselves?
Jan 27, 2022, 09:51 AM
Foam abuser!
Thread OP
Quote:
Don't really want to fuss with removing the wings, especially as one wing is so tight on the tube removing it is a bit of a chore.
For this issue I would suggest taking some fine grit sandpaper to the end of the wing tube that's tight.

Pat
Jan 27, 2022, 10:00 AM
Retired US Navy
Might just be a little glue in the tube...
Jan 27, 2022, 10:06 AM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Quote:

Using the nosecone with the rectangular wood piece glued into it works good. It removes easily for transport and stays on good during use with the magnets.

With the nosecone removed, mine fits assembled in a Hyundai Santa Fe along with an assembled 80mm Avanti. The gear is down on the Mig and gear up on the Avanti. I use two folded up towels, one in front and one in back as wheel chocks.
Jan 27, 2022, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Have you tried a very thin layer of mineral spirits (e.g. musical instrument valve oil) or even beeswax/parrafin on the CF rods?
Jan 27, 2022, 11:54 AM
I ordered the elevators from Motion RC Europe today as spare part, as I already roughed them up a bit on the corners.

For me it's also too much hassle to assemble the wings every time, so I will keep them attached to the fuse.

It's a bit of a challenge transporting the MIG for me, as I transport it in an Opel Astra.

Quick Reply