Aug 14, 2020, 08:15 AM
Have yet to find a U.S distributer for the vector board. I'm interested in building one of these, but won't be able to do it for a couple months. Gives me time to accumulate all the components.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2020, 09:56 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Vector board may be nice and strong, but just try MPF or doubled up depapered DTFB and cover with a layer or two of 3M Extreme tape for extra strength
Aug 14, 2020, 11:23 AM
What looks appealing about vector board is the ability to bend without breaking.
Aug 14, 2020, 03:03 PM
Build, crash...repeat
You can bend MPF or DTFB quite a bit without breaking, by taping the outside curve with packing tape and bending/rolling it slowly and gradually. I've made some very sharp curves. Just saying, it's an alternative if you have trouble getting Vector board.
Aug 20, 2020, 12:10 PM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
Hi !

My Piper Cub plan is now available.
You will find the link on the first page.

If you find errors or have questions, tell me !

If you don't have vector board, all the vector board parts can be replaced by parts cut from light plywood or depron covered with packing adhesive tape.

Cheers
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Aug 22, 2020 at 10:58 AM.
Sep 06, 2020, 03:10 PM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
Yesterday morning, enjoying the Piper (cub).

Piper cub ep3 (2 min 6 sec)

She's becoming one of my favourite plane !
Sep 07, 2020, 06:47 AM
Would this motor work? Having trouble finding the one you suggested.
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...otor_p_35.html
Sep 07, 2020, 10:28 AM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
Hi !
Yes Sir, this engine looks like the famous "blue wonder" brushless, i think it will work.

The 2205c i use is an old reference sold at Hobby King many years ago but it is unfortunately discontinued - as many other good products they had before the "drone era"...

the specs of this engine was :
2205C 1400Kv Brushless motor
Weight: 28g
Shaft: 3mm
Spec.
GWS9050 @3S
Max Amp: 9.5A
Max Power: 121.5W
Thrust: 497g
APC8x8.3 @2S
Max Amp: 6.5A
max Power: 58W
Thrust: 349g

As far as i see, the specs of the Engine you found is very close the specs of my engine.
Sep 09, 2020, 11:00 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Wow those are huge control surfaces and throws, I guess you need them to do aerobatics. I don't know if I could handle those...
What sort of expo do you use?
Sep 09, 2020, 03:08 PM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
Hi,
I set my Piper to perform indoor 3D flights so i use
Maximum control throws (i.e. +/- 45 every where ) then i use actualy :
30% expo on ailerons
50% expo on elevator
65% expo on rudder

But don't be affraid, this little bird - if set with "classic" control throws - can be used as a trainer without any problem.
Cheers
Sep 10, 2020, 04:37 PM
Build, crash...repeat
I like aerobatics and Im not too bad with basic stuff, but Id like to learn and do more advanced moves. This bird is certainly capable. I just have to learn.
Sep 10, 2020, 05:35 PM
Warbirds Lover
Thread OP
With the Piper, loops (positive or negative) are easy. Playing with throttle allow to reduce the loops diameter until something like 3 meters and may be a bit less.
Rolls are a simple formality and the bigger roll rate i experimented was a bit more than 360 per second if perfomed at "high speed" with my settings. At half throttle, you can expect something like 180 per second.

Hammers, Hovers (positive or inverted) are easy, inverted flight just need a very light push on the elevator stick sometimes if the plane is balanced near the rearest CoG position.

Torque rolling the plane is not very hard too if the CoG is located rear enough (otherwise, the nose will always try to fall toward the ground) and powered with a 3S lipo. With a 2S it needs a bit more skill to avoid the plane's nose to drop because of the "lack" of power created by using 2S "only".

The plane can be flown into winds up to 25 Km/h and also can be flown indoor i guess (i whait the start of the indoor flying season to test it, but as far as saw, the Piper is able to fly very slowly so... i'm pretty sure it will be very fun to fly indoor too !)

This little bird can be a good little inexpansive plane to learn aerobatics and to learn to fly indoor imho (i designed it in this purpose...).

Quick Reply