Aug 06, 2020, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

IRC Ghost - new 2.4ghz 4ms ultra low latency and long range system

IRC Ghost system announced today. What does this mean for racers and long rangers everywhere? Join the discussion of the launch details, how they compare on features and pricing and is this enough to lure FPV' away as we all migrate from frSky to other solutions? TBS has already responded less than 2 hours after this announcement.

Have you recently migrated? Was it to Crossfire? Futaba? Spektrum? Does this announcement meet or exceed your expectations?

IRC Ghost - Low Latency 2.4Ghz Control system for RC Drones and quadcopters by ImmersionRC (10 min 8 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2020, 05:20 PM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
same price as the Flysky FRM302 with fewer power though

https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/ghost/
Aug 07, 2020, 02:20 AM
The shift to 2.4GHz for long range or FPV races seems very interesting, as the legal radio bandwidth is really dramatically low on sub-GHz.
I'd be curious to see how the system performs in locations where a good building penetration is required. The physics is definitely more favourable for sub-GHz here.
Aug 11, 2020, 09:51 AM
📌📌📌📌📌📌
pre-order https://www.helidirect.com/products/...rx-3x-antennas
Aug 17, 2020, 04:34 PM
DroneXLabs Team Pilot
First test!
ImmersionRC Ghost first test! (micro cruise DVR) (3 min 57 sec)
Aug 20, 2020, 05:09 AM
It looks like a really great system and well placed pricewise!
Can't wait to see more reviews !

Here some tests:
* 4km before loss of rx link in normal mode (62Hz) / auto power >
ImmersionRC Ghost mid-range test (normal mode, auto power, low altitude) (1 min 6 sec)

* in purerace mode (222Hz) >
ORQA0006 (3 min 46 sec)

Link quality is displayed in both videos
Aug 20, 2020, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the videos.

As a fixed wing flyer who often flies in very noisy RF urban locations, the Ghost system's advertised immunity to in-band interference caught my eye. Diversity on the transmitter side is also very attractive.

My experience with FrSky gear (2.4GHz or 900MHz) is of moments of very low or even zero link quality occurring while flying LOS. About 800m is as far as I've dared go. At that distance or nearer, I've had the odd failsafe but never a total loss of control link. Still, the low LQ makes me nervous. Ghost seems like it might provide a more reliable link where I fly. I put in my pre-order a while back.

Question for you:
In the video of the flight to 4km, did I see correctly that the control link failed with a LQ of 53? Or was it only the video feed that failed at that point?

Thanks,
Andrew
Aug 21, 2020, 08:51 AM
@landru, I think the RC link failed. He says in the comments that it is probably due to bad antenna position during the turn and he was also not on the strongest power.

Joshua just released a penetration comparison with Crossfire:
ImmersionRC Ghost vs. TBS Crossfire range and penetration first test (10 min 16 sec)

I think I am going to switch from Frsky to this new Ghost. It looks really impressive and a perfect fit for my quads and wings !!
Aug 21, 2020, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info @neorapter.

And for posting the Bardwell video, too.
Aug 21, 2020, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoraptor
I think I am going to switch from Frsky to this new Ghost. It looks really impressive and a perfect fit for my quads and wings !!
I really want to get this for my wings also but am going to wait for easier PWM hookups. Hope they come out with either a receiver or a proton pack that is a little more servo friendly.
Aug 21, 2020, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyphred
I really want to get this for my wings also but am going to wait for easier PWM hookups. Hope they come out with either a receiver or a proton pack that is a little more servo friendly.
They plan to release different Proton pack (middle of the page here > https://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/ghost/ ).

Aug 21, 2020, 10:42 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Hopefully IRC realises that there is a market outside fpv-racing and -longrange. Meanwhile FC's are a good addition for wings. They deliver sensors, PWM outputs and BEC. And of course stabilisation and RTH capabilities if desired. Matek F405 wing is a nice combination.
Aug 21, 2020, 10:43 AM
Easier and more extensive PWM support would likely expand the market for Ghost.

For example, I'd love to see simultaneous support for a few PWM outputs (say four) AND serial output. From reading the manual, it seems the Atto is either/or for PWM/serial. That's workable but not ideal for my applications.

Edit
Cross-posted with the post above by Allerhopp. I'll look into using a FC.
Aug 22, 2020, 03:41 AM
Aug 22, 2020, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what would Ghost give you that existing stuff doesn't?

Quick Reply