Aug 06, 2020, 11:32 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
Discussion

X-Flight \ Supreme Hobby A320 twin 50mm EDF Airliner

Didn't realise there was a sub-forum just for airliners ! I'll post here from now on regarding my journey with this expensive and 'challenging' kit.

Second fright after a few repairs, modifications and a more rearward CG.

X-FLIGHT \ XRP \ SUPREME HOBBY A320 TWIN 50mm EDF AIRLINER | PART 2: ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TEST (9 min 13 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2020, 03:25 PM
It's really unfortunate that for version 2 Supreme Hobbies didn't improve on this plane by adding flaps and add lights and improve flight performance I've been following this plane since its inception and based on other folks evaluation, this plane is a bit too much to handle, small wings and speed kept high to avoid stalling.
Aug 08, 2020, 06:37 PM
If you can bring that subject down in one piece repeatedly, you're doing well. Flaps: Maybe 1 common 4 gram servo with a 0.047" torque rod wire (feels floppy but it works) operating both flaps, adding a total of around 7 grams of weight. The model doesn't need any more weight than it already has.
My philosophy is that the flaps have the same issue as the retractable gear, on these small airliners. The weight negates the benefits. A bit more my speed is being able to fly with 60W and horribly inefficient ducting, pretty much landing right at your feet if desired. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...39&postcount=1
With decent ducting on a twin without the retractable gear weight, the performance is good and landings are easy: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=115

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsiang
It's really unfortunate that for version 2 Supreme Hobbies didn't improve on this plane by adding flaps and add lights and improve flight performance I've been following this plane since its inception and based on other folks evaluation, this plane is a bit too much to handle, small wings and speed kept high to avoid stalling.
Surprised they didn't cheat the wing area. It would ruin the looks, but a few added squares would help.
Aug 09, 2020, 06:14 PM
Surprised they didn't cheat the wing area. It would ruin the looks, but a few added squares would help.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you there, I wouldn't mind the plane being totally not scale with more pleasant flying characteristics rather than scale and unflyable or no fun to fly.
Aug 13, 2020, 10:59 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
So the ESCs are rated for 4S so Jason persuaded me to try it despite my concerns over the CG. More power seemed a good idea though after that terrible, almost disastrous, take off on the last flight.

IF IN DOUBT...ADD MORE POWER !!! X-FLIGHT \ XRP \ SUPREME HOBBY A320 TWIN 50mm EDF AIRLINER | PART 3 (7 min 26 sec)
Aug 13, 2020, 05:41 PM
Nice flight, what size 4S battery you are using?
I'm still debating adding on to the wing trailing edge like some guys did in the other thread.
Aug 14, 2020, 03:57 AM
DominicM
Thread OP
4S2200. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply