Why Run Analog on DJI FPV Goggles?

If you have the DJI FPV system and also run analog on it, I want to hear from you. After flying digital HD FPV with DJI's system, I haven't touched an analog FPV set up and if I can help it, I never will again.

Splash

Why do it?

If you have the DJI FPV system and also run analog on it, I want to hear from you. After flying digital HD FPV with DJI's system, I haven't touched an analog FPV set up and if I can help it, I never will again. It's just soooooooo much better in HD. I've seen a ton of 3D printed conversion mounts, or modules used to add an analog FPV receiver to the DJI Goggles. In my mind, that would be like adding a harness to my car so I can have horses pull me around sometimes instead of using my engine. I just don't get it! So help me out.

OK, I can think of some reasons why people might want to add analog to their DJI goggles. Maybe you want to observe others flying on analog, or maybe you have tinywhoops or other drones still on analog you want to fly. Don't you have analog goggles already for that? Is the analog video much better with DJI's goggles versus that Fatsharks that most of us have? I suppose I need to connect an analog feed to my DJI goggles and find out, but I want to hear from you. If you have an analog set up with your DJI goggles, leave me a comment below and tell me why you chose to do that. What's the purpose? How's the experience? Is it more hassle than it's worth? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Aug 06, 2020, 02:59 PM
Yep, I only fly my mobula6 and an fpv umx timber with analog on the DJI but the digital is way more fun. Everything else I went digital with, even my 2.5" quad flies with the Vista. I'm sure an even smaller and lighter unit will come out eventually, i'd be willing to sacrifice tons of output power down to get a micro digital vtx.

I agree the hd digital fpv is amazing. The biggest innovation in a long time and it increased my interest in the hobby again. I've put air units and vistas on all my fpv planes and quads. I find the range is impressive for 5.8ghz and I've even been switching 1.3ghz long range planes to digital fpv. Added benefit of using 5.8ghz instead of 1.3ghz is it plays nicely with 900mhz control systems.

Reason I use analog on the DJI goggles rather than my fatshark dom v2's is the image quality seems better on the DJI. I think it's a combination of the larger FOV feeling more immersive, the image seems brighter, less washed out, more crisp, and I'm not sure if this is technically correct but it feels like there is more detail in the image.

If you have an immersionrc uno or similar plugging that into the goggles would be a good way to give it a try without needing adapters for goggles modules if you don't need portability.
Aug 06, 2020, 05:04 PM
fly by night
80% digital, 20% analog .. mainly due to cost of fitting so many different FPV vehicles. (I have 2 Vista and 1 DJI AU)

Albeit I am now starting to swap the DJI air unit between aircraft (and trucks too), using some nice 3D prints I found, and ordered a bag of compatible wire harness/connectors
Aug 09, 2020, 09:35 AM

Those Magic Goggles!...

Kind of like a microwave oven stuck on your face and head!, No small form factor...
Aug 09, 2020, 12:58 PM
fly by night
magic, yes. as in 'why the heck did we put up with awful analog FPV for so long???'

thank goodness these DJi goggles are less than half the size of my old box goggles
Aug 09, 2020, 07:57 PM
I went flying yesterday and did some Analog flying from my DJI goggles. It's just sad.... The HD has me totally spoiled. I can't stand the analog picture anymore. As time goes on, I suspect we will all be buying more air units. If DJI or Caddx come up with a unit half the size of the Vista, it's game over for me and analog completely.
Aug 09, 2020, 09:21 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
3 airunits, 3 vistas, and 1 nebula. But I still need analog to fly the tiny whoops when it's too hot or too windy out.
Aug 10, 2020, 10:01 PM
run
run
Oh - I've had DJI since last August. Diligently upgrade as new firmware comes out and still don't prefer it for general flying. But definitely enjoy cruising and "wow"'ing over the image from time to time. It also is definitely improving over time with updates. At one point I wanted just have one set of goggles, but ended up preferring my HDO2's over the DJI+Analog so much more that I just stuck with them instead of unloading them. I fly almost exclusively PAL and prefer it - DJI+Analog isn't fully compatible with PAL (it'll cut to the "DJI" logo at the edge of reception) in addition to just being over the edge for size and extra antennae sticking everywhere..... the unit ends up just being so ungainly. Although if you fly NTSC, it does show NTSC at closer to native resolution, so it looks sharper than on FatSharks to be honest, which stretch NTSC to fit 4:3 more - or at least my HDO's did. Haven't tried on my HDO2's.
Aug 11, 2020, 01:31 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by run
Oh - I've had DJI since last August. Diligently upgrade as new firmware comes out and still don't prefer it for general flying. But definitely enjoy cruising and "wow"'ing over the image from time to time. It also is definitely improving over time with updates. At one point I wanted just have one set of goggles, but ended up preferring my HDO2's over the DJI+Analog so much more that I just stuck with them instead of unloading them. I fly almost exclusively PAL and prefer it - DJI+Analog isn't fully compatible with PAL (it'll cut to the "DJI" logo at the edge of reception) in addition to just being over the edge for size and extra antennae sticking everywhere..... the unit ends up just being so ungainly. Although if you fly NTSC, it does show NTSC at closer to native resolution, so it looks sharper than on FatSharks to be honest, which stretch NTSC to fit 4:3 more - or at least my HDO's did. Haven't tried on my HDO2's.
note: The DVR in the Fatsharks crops the video way more than the DVR in the DJI goggles though, I found. But when flying it is not cropped in the live video in the Fatsharks. I have not noticed my OSD being cropped using the DJI in Analog mode, but maybe just because I don't put my elements too close to the edges

Quick Reply