This thread is privately moderated by willyt007, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 05, 2020, 09:35 PM
Trader Rating: 35
Thread OP
$360.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
Sold

E-flite Taylorcraft 450 >>> NIB

Collectible & Discontinued E-flight Taylorcraft 450 ARF - NIB, untouched and unpacked.

The Taylorcraft B is an American light, single-engine, high-wing general aviation monoplane that was built by the Taylorcraft Aviation Corporation of Butler, Pennsylvania founded in 1935. The Taylorcraft is the original Cub, you can find info here: http://www.taylorcraft.com.

Duane Cole, an aerobatic pilot flew the Taylorcraft in airshows in the 1950 era, here is a video of his museam, this particular model is a replica of one of his airplanes. Link: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum/mu...-wing---n21292. This is a collectable, not for the typical RC flyer looking to pick up a bargain. Everything is in pristine just as an collector would expect. This model as most E-flite models had a limited run, they are out of production for quite a while and none are believed to be in any hobby stores anywhere. If you could find one, it would be remarkable. Do your research, they are extinct. Once in a while, a collector will pull one of storage, but they are rare indeed.

I opened the original shipping and packing box this week to take pics of contents. Nothing has come out of the plastic packing bags, they are all sealed just as they were packed at the factory many years ago.

If wanting to know what the shipping would be, the double boxed up plane weighs 6lbs, 4oz ready to mail. Box dimensions are 10"x32" and 10" deep. The collectable model would ship from 48346, Clarkston MI.
Last edited by willyt007; Aug 07, 2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2020, 05:34 AM
Trader Rating: 77
$360 = Nostalgia, just like lots of 'vintage' items.

Check out NOS 'vintage' Associated, Tamiya and Kyosho RC car kits; they can sell for tenfold of retail.

If you don't like his price, move on to the next one...

BTW, I have a brand new untouched Taylor450bird in the box too, with new motor, esc and servos ;-). NFS.
Aug 06, 2020, 07:41 AM
Trader Rating: 11
FlyinKrazy
I have one myself thought was one of the nicest looking planes ever I caught the corner of a fence post and the plane did a pole dance did some damage to the wings broke my heart its fixable just have to remove the covering to do some surgery
Aug 06, 2020, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance21
$360 = Nostalgia, just like lots of 'vintage' items.

Check out NOS 'vintage' Associated, Tamiya and Kyosho RC car kits; they can sell for tenfold of retail.

If you don't like his price, move on to the next one...

BTW, I have a brand new untouched Taylor450bird in the box too, with new motor, esc and servos ;-). NFS.
You are 100% correct. I've destroyed plenty of models over the years and most models don't have any significance. I'm a pilot, and the Taylorcraft is just rich with history and the E-flite Taylorcraft is the best I've seen. Plus its just pure relaxing fun to fly! I've had several small mishaps on mine, but it's very easy to work on too.
Aug 06, 2020, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt007
great info, thanks! one of the reasons I think I love this one so much (other than the beautiful color scheme and detail), it's the perfect park flyer size for me, any bigger and I wouldn't be able to fit in the trunk of my sedan...i think for that reason, it gets a decent amount of flight time...
not sure why E-Flite quits selling models that sell well, other than it may help sell newer models? I built an E-flite Allusive glider, it was the perfect build, had all the right equipment, fit neatly in a gun case, and didn't fly it for a season because I was so busy and couldn't get out to the flying clubs and thought somebody should get the use out of it, so I sold it. Now I fly gliders most of the time and wished I had it back but they quit building them... so I have an eye open for one of those too but I really like to build them myself if possible...
Aug 07, 2020, 01:05 PM
Trader Rating: 19

Duane Cole, family friend

Quote:
Collectible & Discontinued E-flight Taylorcraft 450 ARF - NIB, untouched and unpacked.

The Taylorcraft B is an American light, single-engine, high-wing general aviation monoplane that was built by the Taylorcraft Aviation Corporation of Butler, Pennsylvania founded in 1935. The Taylorcraft is the original Cub, you can find info here: http://www.taylorcraft.com.

Duane Cole, an aerobatic pilot flew the Taylorcraft in airshows in the 1950 era, here is a video of his museam, this particular model is a replica of one of his airplanes. Link: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum/mu...-wing---n21292. This is a collectable, not for the typical RC flyer looking to pick up a bargain. Everything is in pristine just as an collector would expect. This model as most E-flite models had a limited run, they are out of production for quite a while and none are believed to be in any hobby stores anywhere. If you could find one, it would be remarkable. Do your research, they are extinct. Once in a while, a collector will pull one of storage, but they are rare indeed.

I opened the original shipping and packing box this week to take pics of contents. Nothing has come out of the plastic packing bags, they are all sealed just as they were packed at the factory many years ago.

If wanting to know what the shipping would be, the double boxed up plane weighs 6lbs, 4oz ready to mail. Box dimensions are 10"x32" and 10" deep. The collectable model would ship from 48346, Clarkston MI.
Duane Cole lived just a short distance from my family when I was very young, and his family and mine were friends.
Duane gave me one of the first copies of his book, "This Is EAA" and autographed it to me. I still have it!
My Dad and my Uncle who had a fiberglass boat company " Crosby Aeromarine" in Grabill Indiana, more commonly known as "Crosby Boats" later became Hydrodyne Boats and are sought after boats as well as early Crosby boats.
One of my fondest memories of Hydrodyne Boats was when NASA astronauts Gus Grissom and Gordon Cooper flew into the 122nd Tactical Fighter Wing at Ft Wayne Indiana, and visited my Uncle at Hydrodyne and commissioned him to build them an offshore race boat, later to become "Miss Firebird"
This was about 1965.
Getting to meet them was a big thrill!
Gus Grissom gave me a Sal Taibi 1/2 A gas Starduster kit.
I built it and still have it and the box it came in!

There is an online page called "The Hydrodyners" of a group of Hydrodyne fans, who collect and restore Hydrodyne boats. My personal favorite was the Hydrodyne deck boat more commonly known as the flat top.

Anyway they made Duane a set of fiberglass wheel pants.
I don't know however that that set of wheel pants survived all these years.
Duane did take me flying in another Taylorcraft at a family cookout one time.

Another neighbor of ours when I was a kid was well known aviator Jimmy Leeward who lived in Ft Wayne .
He and his Dad ran Leeward Air Service at Ft Wayne's Baer Field, now known as Ft Wayne International Airport.

Jimmy enjoyed riding horses and used to fly his Bell 47 helicopter over to Uncle Dan's ranch on the west side of Waynedale Indiana and took my cousin Dana and myself for rides in it on several occasions.
I last saw Duane Cole at the EAA Oshkosh airshow about two years before he passed away.
I have been an EAA-VAA ( Vintage Aircraft Association ) annual volunteer at the show since 1994.

Jimmy Leeward and I crossed paths at EAA Oshkosh and spent about two hours of conversation catching up on old times in Ft Wayne.
Jimmy, my Dad and several of my uncles who flew were all good friends.
As we parted , he gave me an open invitation to fly my 1946 Ercoupe, ( N99879) down to Leeward Air Ranch in Florida to visit him and his wife.
Jimmy Leeward , like Duane Cole, was one of the nicest guys in the world!!!

About 2014, EAA founder and CEO, Paul Poberezny asked our Vintage Aircraft Association Chapter 37 based at DeKalb County Auburn Indiana to restore EAA member and famed pilot Harold Nueman's 1941 Monocoupe "Little Mulligan" race #40,
to static display condition, per the wishes of the Nueman family.
Harold Nueman flew Benny Howard's Mister Mulligan ( race #40) to victory at the 1935 National Air Races at Cleveland Ohio
The Monocoupe now resides at EAA Wittman airport waiting an open space in the EAA Museum.
It has been on open display , usually next to the VAA Air Mail building at Oshkosh during the annual airshow, and usually spends the off season inside the new VAA Vintage hangar.
It was one of the last Monocoupes manufactured in 1941, rolling off the production line on December 3rd, 1941, according to the aircraft data plate.

At the present time, I am scratch building a clipped wing Taylorcraft replica of Duane Cole's Taylorcraft, with an 80 inch
wingspan from a set of RCM plans.

It's too bad EFlite didn't manufacture their Eflite clipped wing Taylorcraft as replica of Duane Cole's famous Taylorcraft which now resides in the EAA Museum at Oshkosh Wisconsin.
But most likely they never asked permission from the Cole family.
This would have made it a collectors item.

Most likely EFlite discontinued it as I am not sure but I believe it was made in China and the manufacturer may have decided to discontinue it, or the shipping rates from China have dramatically increased because of high tariff rates.
I have noticed lately that long shipping times and very high shipping rates for ARFs made in China are quite long and high.
And due to some hard economic times in China, a number of the ARF manufactures have gone out of business, this information given to me by a friend who owns and runs a local hobby shop.

I have a letter of permission to finish my 1/4 scale clipped wing Taylorcraft in Duane's paint scheme and N number on the upper right wing, from a member of the Cole family.
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Aug 07, 2020 at 01:19 PM.
Aug 07, 2020, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd
Duane Cole lived just a short distance from my family when I was very young, and his family and mine were friends.
Duane gave me one of the first copies of his book, "This Is EAA" and autographed it to me. I still have it!
My Dad and my Uncle who had a fiberglass boat company " Crosby Aeromarine" in Grabill Indiana, more commonly known as "Crosby Boats" later became Hydrodyne Boats and are sought after boats as well as early Crosby boats.
One of my fondest memories of Hydrodyne Boats was when NASA astronauts Gus Grissom and Gordon Cooper flew into the 122nd Tactical Fighter Wing at Ft Wayne Indiana, and visited my Uncle at Hydrodyne and commissioned him to build them an offshore race boat, later to become "Miss Firebird"
This was about 1965.
Getting to meet them was a big thrill!
Gus Grissom gave me a Sal Taibi 1/2 A gas Starduster kit.
I built it and still have it and the box it came in!

There is an online page called "The Hydrodyners" of a group of Hydrodyne fans, who collect and restore Hydrodyne boats. My personal favorite was the Hydrodyne deck boat more commonly known as the flat top.

Anyway they made Duane a set of fiberglass wheel pants.
I don't know however that that set of wheel pants survived all these years.
Duane did take me flying in another Taylorcraft at a family cookout one time.

Another neighbor of ours when I was a kid was well known aviator Jimmy Leeward who lived in Ft Wayne .
He and his Dad ran Leeward Air Service at Ft Wayne's Baer Field, now known as Ft Wayne International Airport.

Jimmy enjoyed riding horses and used to fly his Bell 47 helicopter over to Uncle Dan's ranch on the west side of Waynedale Indiana and took my cousin Dana and myself for rides in it on several occasions.
I last saw Duane Cole at the EAA Oshkosh airshow about two years before he passed away.
I have been an EAA-VAA ( Vintage Aircraft Association ) annual volunteer at the show since 1994.

Jimmy Leeward and I crossed paths at EAA Oshkosh and spent about two hours of conversation catching up on old times in Ft Wayne.
Jimmy, my Dad and several of my uncles who flew were all good friends.
As we parted , he gave me an open invitation to fly my 1946 Ercoupe, ( N99879) down to Leeward Air Ranch in Florida to visit him and his wife.
Jimmy Leeward , like Duane Cole, was one of the nicest guys in the world!!!

About 2014, EAA founder and CEO, Paul Poberezny asked our Vintage Aircraft Association Chapter 37 based at DeKalb County Auburn Indiana to restore EAA member and famed pilot Harold Nueman's 1941 Monocoupe "Little Mulligan" race #40,
to static display condition, per the wishes of the Nueman family.
Harold Nueman flew Benny Howard's Mister Mulligan ( race #40) to victory at the 1935 National Air Races at Cleveland Ohio
The Monocoupe now resides at EAA Wittman airport waiting an open space in the EAA Museum.
It has been on open display , usually next to the VAA Air Mail building at Oshkosh during the annual airshow, and usually spends the off season inside the new VAA Vintage hangar.
It was one of the last Monocoupes manufactured in 1941, rolling off the production line on December 3rd, 1941, according to the aircraft data plate.

At the present time, I am scratch building a clipped wing Taylorcraft replica of Duane Cole's Taylorcraft, with an 80 inch
wingspan from a set of RCM plans.

It's too bad EFlite didn't manufacture their Eflite clipped wing Taylorcraft as replica of Duane Cole's famous Taylorcraft which now resides in the EAA Museum at Oshkosh Wisconsin.
But most likely they never asked permission from the Cole family.
This would have made it a collectors item.

Most likely EFlite discontinued it as I am not sure but I believe it was made in China and the manufacturer may have decided to discontinue it, or the shipping rates from China have dramatically increased because of high tariff rates.
I have noticed lately that long shipping times and very high shipping rates for ARFs made in China are quite long and high.
And due to some hard economic times in China, a number of the ARF manufactures have gone out of business, this information given to me by a friend who owns and runs a local hobby shop.

I have a letter of permission to finish my 1/4 scale clipped wing Taylorcraft in Duane's paint scheme and N number on the upper right wing, from a member of the Cole family.
Thanks for posting, that is awesome piece of aviation fun and history!
Aug 07, 2020, 01:32 PM
Here is the N-Number date on the actual Taylorcraft your Eflite model is based on

Aircraft Description
Serial Number F-1507 Status Valid
Manufacturer Name TAYLORCRAFT Certificate Issue Date 01/07/2011
Model F21B Expiration Date 01/31/2023
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 51250643
MFR Year None Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A551A3
Type Registration Individual Fractional Owner NO
Registered Owner
Name WILKINS RAYMOND E
Street 2550 LILAC ST

City OSCEOLA State IOWA
County CLARKE Zip Code 50213-8129
Country UNITED STATES
Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Standard
Engine Model 0-235 SERIES Category None
A/W Date 02/13/1986 Exception Code No

The information contained in this record should be the most current Airworthiness information available in the historical aircraft record. However, this data alone does not provide the basis for a determination regarding the airworthiness of an aircraft or the current aircraft configuration. For specific information, you may request a copy of the aircraft record at http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/
Aug 07, 2020, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd
Here is the N-Number date on the actual Taylorcraft your Eflite model is based on

Aircraft Description
Serial Number F-1507 Status Valid
Manufacturer Name TAYLORCRAFT Certificate Issue Date 01/07/2011
Model F21B Expiration Date 01/31/2023
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 51250643
MFR Year None Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A551A3
Type Registration Individual Fractional Owner NO
Registered Owner
Name WILKINS RAYMOND E
Street 2550 LILAC ST

City OSCEOLA State IOWA
County CLARKE Zip Code 50213-8129
Country UNITED STATES
Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer LYCOMING Classification Standard
Engine Model 0-235 SERIES Category None
A/W Date 02/13/1986 Exception Code No

The information contained in this record should be the most current Airworthiness information available in the historical aircraft record. However, this data alone does not provide the basis for a determination regarding the airworthiness of an aircraft or the current aircraft configuration. For specific information, you may request a copy of the aircraft record at http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/
More fun facts, thanks Ed for that!
Aug 07, 2020, 10:58 PM
Hi Willy, I'm glad your happy with trhe information I provided.
But I feel you should lower the price of your Eflite Taylorcraft.

I'm not trying to offend you , but I really don't feel it's that much of a coillectible.

Such a kit as an IkonNwst T%aylorcraft is much more oif a rare collectible as many of the now defunct IkonNwst company
kits are.
Another very rare Taylorcraft kit which is extremely hard to find in a "Miniature Aircraft Company" once located in New York
City, as I do have one , which I fullyn intend to build.
Itr has a wingspan of 108 inches and was manufactured in 1941.
I also have an original 1940 Carl Goldberg Sailplane kit.

Two ther collectiblle kits I have is a Cleveland Stinson SR8 82 inch wingspan kit manufactured in 1958 which I will build as it is an exacxt copy of the full scale aircraft as far as construction is concerned.

I also have another Cleveland kit with a 76 inch wingspan.

All of my kits and built RC aircraft are of "vintage aircraft."

My latest addition is Bud NOsen "Mister mMulligan" fully built with a 55cc gas engine.

A fully built Ikon Nwst Monocoupe 90A with a Bennett Built 26cc gas engine.
Also my almost fully scratch built Travel Air Mystery Ship with a 123 inch wingspan.
Power is undecided but leaning towards a custom built engine by Bennet Built engines in Elkhart Indiana.
I also need to build the landing gear for it

Also I recently acquired a Jerry Bates custom cut 1929 Curtiss Robin kit with a 123 inch wingspan.
I also have a very rare Jim Messer Ercoupe kit I am going to build with a 90 inch wingspan.
Recently have almost finished my Wendell Hostetler 1/4 scale Wedell Williams Gilmore Lion Racer kit.
It has a 55cc engine in it. Dymond D6000 servos @ 185 in oz torque on all flight control surfaces.

I will soon have three 1930's racers to take to the club field with me!
Aug 07, 2020, 11:02 PM
Hi Willy, I'm glad your happy with trhe information I provided.
But I feel you should lower the price of your Eflite Taylorcraft.

I'm not trying to offend you , but I really don't feel it's that much of a collectible.

Such a kit as an IkonNwst Taylorcraft is much more of a rare collectible as many of the now defunct IkonNwst company
kits are.
Another very rare Taylorcraft kit which is extremely hard to find is a "Miniature Aircraft Corporation Taylorcraft" once located in New York
City, as I do have one , which I fully intend to build.
It has a wingspan of 108 inches and was manufactured in 1941.
I also have an original 1940 Carl Goldberg Sailplane kit.

Two other collectible kits I have is a Cleveland Stinson SR8 82 inch wingspan kit manufactured in 1958 which I will build as it is an exact copy of the full scale aircraft as far as construction is concerned.

I also have another Cleveland kit with a 76 inch wingspan.

All of my kits and built RC aircraft are of "vintage aircraft."

My latest addition is Bud Nosen "Mister Mulligan" fully built with a 55cc gas engine.

A fully built Ikon Nwst Monocoupe 90A with a Bennett Built 26cc gas engine.
Also my almost fully scratch built Travel Air Mystery Ship with a 123 inch wingspan.
Power is undecided but leaning towards a custom built engine by Bennet Built engines in Elkhart Indiana.
I also need to build the landing gear for it

Also I recently acquired a Jerry Bates custom cut 1929 Curtiss Robin kit with a 123 inch wingspan.
I also have a very rare Jim Messer Ercoupe kit I am going to build with a 90 inch wingspan.
Recently have almost finished my Wendell Hostetler 1/4 scale Wedell Williams Gilmore Lion Racer kit.
It has a 55cc engine in it. Dymond D6000 servos @ 185 in oz torque on all flight control surfaces.

I will soon have three 1930's racers to take to the club field with me!
However none of these are for sale at this time.
Aug 08, 2020, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Nice collection you got going there Ed!

Everything I've sold previously was in perfect condition at bargain prices either because I wasn't flying it and felt someone should be flying it and because physical space was an issue. Space won't be an issue in about a year, at least for a while.

If no one buys this one, I will build it after I move and this one will look great in my new man cave, it just has tremendous eye and history appeal, Or just keep it in my storage facility for another date, or maybe it eventually give it to one of the grandsons if they get into the hobby. It's just one that I won't sell at a bargain prices just to make room because it's one that I know that I'll wish I had back, someday.

I'm open to a possible trade something, but I just completed my last purchase for the year (I think), it should arrive next week. But if if I was going to trade for something, it would probably be a a bipe or another glider... or of course I would consider an offer...but if I don't sell it I'm fine with that, it's got a good home.

Thanks for all the info, interesting and fun stuff!
Last edited by willyt007; Aug 08, 2020 at 12:05 PM.
Aug 08, 2020, 12:10 PM
Trader Rating: 6
Worker By Day, Flyer At Night
Hey Willy T,
I dislike everyone who has chimed in whole heartily to bring down your price. I feel that anyone who is pissed off, just canít afford it, so at the end of the day they try to bring you down. If the price isnít right just avoid it. Also trying to boast about a better deal online is stupid. If you find it donít boast about it expecting to change the sellers mind. You are the owner of this beautiful replica of balsa craftsmanship and therefore you decide the price. Wish you luck to sell!
Aug 08, 2020, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcTalkWorld
Hey Willy T,
I dislike everyone who has chimed in whole heartily to bring down your price. I feel that anyone who is pissed off, just can’t afford it, so at the end of the day they try to bring you down. If the price isn’t right just avoid it. Also trying to boast about a better deal online is stupid. If you find it don’t boast about it expecting to change the sellers mind. You are the owner of this beautiful replica of balsa craftsmanship and therefore you decide the price. Wish you luck to sell!
Thanks for that RcTalkWorld, I agree and found it very interesting. I've deleted 3 pages from the haters, and I've just found it so interesting that people chime in with such banter, especially to tell me that they are not interested! I would have thought that if not interested they would just move along. But I guess we are in a day and age where if you don't believe as they do, you have to be vilified.

But what it did show me is the amount of interest in the model but many pilots seem miffed at themselves they didn't buy it cheaper when the models were available. As of today, there are none in hobby stores that can be found, and the few untouched ones out there are in some collectors storage facility...
Last edited by willyt007; Aug 08, 2020 at 12:59 PM.
Aug 08, 2020, 01:20 PM
Trader Rating: 6
Worker By Day, Flyer At Night
Quote:
Thanks for that RcTalkWorld, I agree and found it very interesting. I've deleted 3 pages from the haters, and I've just found it so interesting that people chime in with such banter, especially to tell me that they are not interested! I would have thought that if not interested they would just move along. But I guess we are in a day and age where if you don't believe as they do, you have to be vilified.

But what it did show me is the amount of interest in the model but many pilots seem miffed at themselves they didn't buy it cheaper when the models were available. As of today, there are none in hobby stores that can be found, and the few untouched ones out there are in some collectors storage facility...
Yeah itís happened to me before and itís bothersome. It makes me think that no one has any more time these days than to bother someone else. The other day a seller tried to lowball me giving me a price that made my plane look like scraps. Literary 900 + plane, he offered 200. My wish is people value the cost, materiel, rareness , labor and collectibility.

Quick Reply