Aug 05, 2020, 09:32 AM
Thread OP
Contest

2020 Buzz Averill Memorial F5J - Re-imagined!

The Albuquerque Soaring Association still wishes to honor our departed and good friend Buzz Averill this year, with the fourth annual Buzz Averill Memorial F5J Contest. However, the current Covid19 situation prevents us from accepting out-of-state contestants who have not quarantined for two weeks here in New Mexico prior to the contest. So, here is our idea.

We are sponsoring a Postal Contest to be held Nation-wide, on 22-23 August, 2020. Where ever you are, whatever the conditions, whether alone or practicing suitable social-distancing, we invite you to fly your Best Eight Flights in an F5J format: 10-minute window, motor run measured with appropriate on-board electronics, measured miss distance from a landing target. The same weekend, the ASA will fly a contest at Buzz's favorite sod farm, using all the usual paraphernalia ( clocks, score cards, buzzers) just so we can say we did.

Postal contestants will be scored separately from the local crowd.

The winner of the Postal event will receive a prize: a laser-inscribed mug provided by Corky Miller at Sonoran Laser Arts. I have included a picture of the prize for your inspiration. After compiling all postal scores submitted before midnight, 23 August, the winner will be announced on this thread, and the mug delivered in an unmarked, brown-paper-wrapped box by a uniformed representative of the United States Postal Service.

So, here it is in a nut shell:

1. Fly eight (8) flights in an F5J format
- 10-minute window
- F5J rules for motor run, climb, flight time and landing
- Any electric-powered sailplane, we don't care.
2. No registration necessary - simply submit your flight times on this thread
- All entries submitted before midnight, your local time, Sunday, 23 August 2020, will be good
- Submit as many times as you like
3. Winner will be determined on Monday, 24 August, and notified by PM on RCGroups

We suggest you have a timer, but we won't be checking. We hope you will accept the challenge and fly eight consecutive attempts, but again, we won't be checking. We hope you use an F5J landing tape, but we still won't be checking. Just do it for the same reason we are doing this: we aren't being defeated by the virus, and we remember Buzz.

Buzz Averill was my friend. I don't think I deserved the whole friendship he gave to me, but I am grateful he did. He represented the United States in FAI International competition. He was one of the first to market CA adhesives for modelers. He was a fierce competitor, but always ready to help anyone do better for themselves. Whatever group he walked up to, they had to make room; but anytime I left his presence, I always felt like I walked away knowing more. I had a wonderful career in aviation myself and worked with all the major airplane makers, and I found that Buzz Averill knew more about airplanes and aviation than any other person I ever met, anywhere, at any time.

Please help us honor Buzz's memory by coming out the weekend of 22-23 August, and doing your absolute best.

Someone, deserve the mug!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2020, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
Here is how to register and participate:

Fly your best eight flights.

Submit (on this thread) the following information:

1. Name and State
2. Type of airplane
3. List of flight times, altitude and landing points.
4. Comments, especially if you knew Buzz.

We will take care of the rest, including announcing the winner here on this thread, and contacting the winner for delivery instructions via RCGroups PM.

Any comments or questions, feel free to post them here in this thread. We are eager to hear from anyone at all.

Yours, Greg McGill
glidermang
President, Albuquerque Soaring Association.
Aug 05, 2020, 02:33 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I will try to participate.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 07, 2020, 12:39 PM
Greg,
I believe we will be able to pull together four or five pilots from here in St Augustine to fly a parallel contest and send you all the scores together. Let you know shortly.
John Kennedy
Aug 30, 2020, 02:35 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I just realized I completely forgot about this. Sorry had meant to participate

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 31, 2020, 10:39 AM
Thread OP
Ryan:

Want the mug anyway? Contact me via PM.

Greg
Sep 01, 2020, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Locally, we had a good time at the BAM this year. Not the usual good time, but still a good time. Thermals required skill and cunning, the heat was a factor but no rain to make a swamp of the sod farm. No rain, but also no Friday at the Beer Garden, no pizza from the Red Barn, and no technical discussions at the Sunset Inn.

But still a good time.
Sep 01, 2020, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Here is another increment of photos. Many thanks to Robert Habinger for these.

Quick Reply