Nov 18, 2020, 08:28 AM
I like your use of muslin fabric for several reasons. It looks better during close inspection than the modern synthetic sail materials, it shivers/luffs on the water like a traditional sail would, and it can be reefed unlike a stiff synthetic.

I'm interested in how long your reef points will be. In scale, mine were too small to actually tie.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2020, 01:56 PM
Thread OP

Scale Reefing Lines

Hi Gammon Iron,
You bring up an interesting point about the scale length of reefing lines. On this model, the reef lines would extend 1.5 inches down each side of the sail....too short to be of any use for full-scale fingers. I'm wondering if the designers shorten up the line lengths to make them look better on the drawing?

The reason that I pose that question, is that on a full-scale sailboat, I cut the reef lines to look nice once they were tied. In reality, these lines were too short to tie in a hurry, so I made new ones that were longer and had more significant tales on them. They looked rather shabby when the boat was reefed, but I could tie them in an emergency.

I like the look of the muslin as well. On a modern catboat model, it is appropriate to use a modern sailcloth, and that looks great. On a 1930's catboat, the muslin just looks better.

Our local model boat lake is a green lake, so I'm taking precautions by sealing up the fabric with 3M Heavy Duty Water Shield. This is a spray on sealer for fabric used on outdoor furniture. I have used this on my previous build, but since we are in lock-down mode, I haven't had a chance to test it in real life. I'm banking on the idea that the water shield will give some protection to the muslin against the green algae.

Thanks for following this thread.
Bob SF
Nov 18, 2020, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Hi Tim,
I'll post some photos of the tools to install grommets. The big grommets are really easy to install with a special set of pliers. The tiny 0000 grommets are a bit more fiddly, having to use a set, dolly, and a hammer.
Thanks for your comment,
Bob SF
Nov 18, 2020, 08:49 PM
Thread OP

Installing Grommets

Hi Everyone,
The sail is almost done. Twenty-three large grommets were set, and four hooks were installed with 8 tiny 0000 grommets. The reef lines were attached (3 inches long on each side of the sail), and the sail logo was designed.

The tool for installing the large grommets is really easy to use. The tool cuts a hole in the fabric, you insert the grommet, then you stick the pin of the plier through the sharp end of the grommet, and squeeze the pliers. The only trick is to make sure that the grommet has gone all of the way through the fabric. I squeeze the pliers, rotate the pliers 90 degrees on the pin and then squeeze again...just to make sure that it is really set.

The small 0000 size (tiny) grommets are a bit more challenging. These are used to attach the hooks that will capture the wire that runs up the mast. I will use a small nail to punch a hole in the fabric, press in the tiny grommet in the hole, then insert the hook eye on the other side of the sail, then install the grommet on top of the anvil, and then use the grommet setting tool and the hammer to gently install the grommet. You have to be somewhat gentle with the hammer, so that you don't smash the pin on the anvil. To capture the wire on the mast, the hooks are alternated from side to side on the sail. This will keep the hooks from accidentally coming off the mast wire.

A photo of the finished sail will be posted when I have the logo cut out and installed.

Take care,
Bob SF
Nov 19, 2020, 03:23 PM
Thread OP

The Sail is Done

Hi Everyone,
The sail is done!

I'm calling this style of model, a BobCat 30. The logo is made up of a silhouette of the paw of a Bobcat. The Internet was kind enough to supply a sample which was taken into PowerPoint and sized to fit the sail. A paper copy was printed of the paw. The silhouette was cut out, leaving the master blank to copy onto the back of the logo material.

Some black fabric was laminated to the Heat n Bond and the master copy was used to draw the silhouette on the paper side of the laminated cloth. A model knife was used to cut out the pads of the paw.

The master blank was then taped to the sail. Another section of paper was lined up with the edge of the sail and taped to the master blank. This will serve as an indexing guide to do the other side of the sail. The idea of this logo is that when the sun shines through the sail, you only see one logo.

The laminated black pads of the paw were placed within the outlines of the master blank and tacked into place with a hot Monokote Iron. A Monokote Iron is intended to be used with Monokote Airplane covering material.....it also works great as a dry (vs. steam) small iron for doing delicate work.

The master blank was peeled away and the pads were ironed in place. The master blank was used again to draw another logo for the right side. I wasn't sure if the paw was symmetrical, so I flipped over the master blank when I drew the second logo. The master blank was taped to the sail, using one of the grommets on the sail as a reference point. I held the sail up to one of the kitchen pendant lights to see if the pattern was lined up. Once happy with the fit, the second paw was ironed in place.

At the corners, there were a few stray edges of muslin that would continue to fray. I used a small amount of clear adhesive caulking to seal the edges of the cloth.

The sail was taken outside and a coat of 3M Heavy Duty Water Shield was applied to each side. A temporary clothes Line was rigged, and the sail dried in the sun.

It isn't raining today, so it looks like a good day to get on a coat (or two) of clear Polyurethane on the wood parts. The hull still needs some wood trim and more sanding. At some point, I will have to make the mold for the lead keel. I'm thinking of making four molds to make the teardrop shaped barbell weights that I will use for sea trials. Two will be 2.5 pounds and two will be 1 pound each. I'm thinking that this will get me into the ballpark.

Take care and be safe.
Bob SF
Nov 21, 2020, 10:43 AM
Awesome!
Nov 23, 2020, 04:30 AM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Is the green lake Spreckels lake?
Nov 23, 2020, 11:15 AM
Fabulous heirloom model...
Nov 23, 2020, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Hi Gammon Iron, Orange&White, and Tim,
Thank you, Yes, and Thank you.

Spreckels lake is the home of the San Francisco Model Yacht Club, the oldest model boat club in the U.S. It is a tremendous facility and we are very fortunate to have access to this lake. The algae is a good and bad thing. The good part of about having a green lake, is that it keeps weed growth to a minimum - light can't get down to the plants to make them grow. During Summer, the lake can get pretty green. If you have a white boat, it is good to wash it down at lakeside before you go home.

Back to boat building! Most of the stained wood work is going through the process of light sanding, and more coats of Polyurethane. Coat #3 has produced a finish that looks and feels pretty good. I will do more coats to see if that is up to my standards for yacht finish. The transom got a run near the rub rail, so that certainly doesn't cut it...sand and repeat...but without the run!

The trim molding went on the cabin side at the deck edge. Since the molding will be white, along with the cabin sides, the wood trim went on sanded, but not painted. The trim will be coated with some West System Epoxy when the cabin sides are sealed up. That might happen today.

Take care, and be safe.
Bob SF
Nov 24, 2020, 04:14 PM
Thread OP

Staining Cabin Trim

Hi Everyone,
I didn't get to putting epoxy on the cabin sides yesterday because I forgot to stain the wood trim that separates the cabin roof from the sides. One coat of Minwax Stain Prep and four coats of Minwax Sedona Red went on the trim and left for an hour to soak in. The trim was wiped down. It is getting cold here, so I will let the trim sit overnight before putting on a gloss finish. If you rush the stain drying time, you will end up with a murky finish as the stain bleeds into the gloss polyurethane. Once the trim is covered in many coats of gloss, I will revisit the idea of getting the epoxy on the cabin sides.

The mast and booms are done, having four coats of polyurethane on them. They are pretty slick looking and they feel smooth to the touch. I'm using a finishing sanding sponge between coats to take off any high spots.

Since the boat is going to be tied up in drying time soon, I will sew up the cabin seat cushions and take a swing at designing the boot that will cover the gap between the mast and the deck. I will do some research to see what they look like in full-scale and make a small copy.

The build gets pretty exciting as all these little pieces get finished and await final assembly. I'm knee-deep in little things now, but there will be a point where all the parts come together to make something special. I can't wait!

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Nov 24, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
Nov 25, 2020, 07:56 PM
Thread OP

Bench Seats Get Upholstered

Hi Everyone,
Today, the bench seats were upholstered, the mast boot was sewn, and the trim parts got two more coats of polyurethane.

I've been using some floor covering adhesive called Stick n Stay. It is a latex based linoleum glue that has worked really well gluing the faux leather upholstery fabric to wood. It dries clear, gets sticky fast, and doesn't smell bad. I have a lot of this glue left over from a linoleum repair job and it works great on the models.

Tomorrow, the remaining bare wood on the cabin will get a coat of West System Epoxy to seal up the wood.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Take care and be safe.
Bob SF
Nov 25, 2020, 08:00 PM
Bob she looks great, 'attsa lotta hard work !
Dec 05, 2020, 08:26 PM
Thread OP

Cabin in Primer

Hi Tim, thank you.

Hi Everyone,

House projects and other stuff is limiting my time to work on the catboat. In the last couple of days, the cabin doors were fitted out with their port holes, door knobs, and hinges. The companionway hatch and the forward hatch have their hinges as well.

The interior of the cockpit area has received a coat of West System Epoxy, along with the cabin sides. These areas were sanded out and have received one coat of white primer. The air temperature is in the 50's here, so the primer is drying slowly (takes about 24 hours). All of the dents and dings show up now, so it is sand and fill time. While the boat is drying, I will start to work on the final assembly of the rig.

We are also going into lock down again, so I may have a lot of time to work on the boat.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Dec 06, 2020, 12:32 PM
super
Dec 06, 2020, 10:32 PM
Thread OP

The Sail Goes Aloft

Hi Yancovitch, thank you.

Hi Everyone,
Had an early day, and I wasn't in the mood to sand and paint. The goosenecks were installed on the mast and booms. The wire along the back of the mast was assembled and screwed to the mast. The sail was sent aloft and her lines were mocked-up to see where and how they should be attached. It was a long and productive day. The boom vang will be built tomorrow and I will try to be motivated to sand and paint.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Dec 07, 2020 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply