Oct 20, 2020, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Hi bboarder711,
Thank you for the information. I enjoyed reading your original thread (when you first posted it). I really appreciated all of the detail you had in the original version. It was a shame that it had to move. At the very beginning of my build, I looked up your thread and it looked totally different from what I remembered.

We only have one model catboat at our local lake and it is of a much larger scale (my dog could ride in it). I didn't have anything to compare to my model, so I went with a safer bet and used the fin keel. With the addition of the drive battery, motor, winch servo, and rudder servo above the waterline, I thought it would be best to go for a fin and bulb to improve my odds of having a working boat. I would have liked to have gone for a more scale like swing keel. With that said, your boat is beautiful. You should be sooo proud of your accomplishment.

More house projects this morning.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2020, 12:50 PM
Thanks Bob!

I spent a month planning the build and deciding on where the electronics will go before I even cut wood. A friend of mine locally also has a slightly different model cat boat but cannot take it out in any more of a gentle breeze.

I am interested to see how this is with a motor, just a cool feature. Are you having any electronics in your open cockpit?
Oct 20, 2020, 09:31 PM
Thread OP

The Plan For Electronics

Hi bboarder711,
It is nice to know that there are other catboats out there. I am so looking forward to being done with house projects....so I can get back to boat building!

There will be no electronics in the open cockpit area of the boat. At the stern of the full-scale boat, there is a box structure that houses the ship's wheel and in my case, the rudder servo and the "push/pull" linkage to the rudder. There is a grease fitting to the stuffing box on the floor of the cabin sole, so the boat can be greased easily. Near the cabin wall, under the removeable hatch, the universal will be available for inspection. The motor is located just inside the cabin wall. The main drive battery is located next (sitting in a box) and runs across the width of the boat. The winch servo is slightly above the battery, so the arm swings within the cabin over the battery. The motor speed control and a small PC box fan comes next at the very front of the cabin. The receiver is located on the back wall of the main cabin wall. There is another battery pack that powers the radio gear by way of a "Y" harness at the winch servo. The speed control is isolated from powering the radio. More detail on this part of the build when I install it. I've built a couple other sailboats with an auxilliary motor and I really like them. At my local lake, there are sailboats and power boats, and very few sailboats with power.

Another day of sprinkler plumbing tomorrow.

Take care,
Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Oct 20, 2020 at 09:40 PM.
Oct 21, 2020, 09:28 AM
Can't wait to see it all come together your detail are looking great so far. Love the Makani Kai. great work.
Oct 23, 2020, 06:55 PM
Thread OP

Building the Cockpit Sole

Hi bboarder711, thank you.

Hi Everyone,

House projects are taking longer to do these days as complications slow progress. In the meantime, I'm going to be splitting my time and energy between house projects and boat building.

Since last time, the roof of the catboat has been sanded and fitted.

A template for the cockpit sole was made out of foamboard and Popsicle Sticks to develop the shape of the cockpit sole. I will take Popsicle Sticks and cut them in the middle (at an angle). The foam board is cut out to fit the cockpit floor opening, but left small. The cut Popsicle Sticks are glued and taped to the foamboard so that the angled points line up with the corners and any obstructions (like frames...but the catboat has smooth interior walls...so only 8 plot points were made...corners and rib locations).

The template was removed from the boat and a wood part was cut from 5mm plywood. Once fitted, Poplar planks and spacers were fitted and glued to the plywood base. The planks were left long and then cut to length around the plywood base. Along the lines where the frames would be, a series of holes were drilled and filled with square toothpicks and glue. The toothpicks were cut off above the surface of the planking and sanded smooth. The outer portion of the cocpit sole will eventually be caulked in place. The center section of the cockpit sole will be removable to make sure that the boat is dry when stored.

Once the floor goes in, the next part of the build will be to make the rudder servo box.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Oct 23, 2020, 07:05 PM
That decking looks particularly good !
Oct 23, 2020, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Hi Tim, thank you. I've asked my wife to be my "person on the street" and look at the boat every once in a while to make sure that it looks like a catboat. I'm trying to make sure that I hit all of the fine points that define this style of boat. Thank you for your comments.
Bob SF
Oct 24, 2020, 07:46 PM
Thread OP

Cockpit Sole Hatch Done

Hi Everyone,
The hatch for the cabin sole was built today. Two coats of gloss polyurethane went on the new wood to seal it up prior to grouting. The deck of the boat and the transom were sanded out and another coat of polyurethane was applied. It was fun to build the hatch since it has the hole for the grease fitting and the compass. The compass will be installed with white adhesive caulking after the grout (3 coats) has been applied, sanded, and coated in clear gloss.

The boat will have double doors on the cabin with a round port hole in each door. The sides of the cabin will have the traditional cats eye ports. This is where the build gets really fun.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Oct 26, 2020, 08:04 AM
love the compass can't wait to see more details
Oct 26, 2020, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob SF
Hi Everyone,
The hatch for the cabin sole was built today.
I am still Blown away on the deck work, I don't think I will Ever have the patience or skills to take on a job like this one ~

Bravo !
Oct 29, 2020, 07:50 PM
Thread OP

Cat's Eye Portlights and Rudder Box

Hi bboarder711 and Tim, thank you...details coming.

Hi Everyone,

The Cat's Eye Portlights were drawn and cut out of the cabin sides. The boat was sanded, and the cockpit sole was caulked in place. The rudder box was designed, cut, and installed on the boat.

I was trying to figure out a good way to draw an oval and using Microsoft PowerPoint was a great way to go. I was able to use the oval drawing tool in the program to create many different sized ovals and then print them out. I could then easily cut out the ovals and see which one I liked for this boat. Once I decided on which one looked best, I glued that oval to a piece of 1/16" plywood and then used a drill to make many holes outlining the inner edge of the drawn oval. A model knife was then used to connect the holes to remove the bulk of the material. A Dremel Tool with a small sanding drum smoothed out the edges. Once the template was made, I drew a line down the center of the cabin side and then placed the template to draw the oval in the position that matched the drawings. The drill, model knife, and Dremel Sanding Drum did the rest to create the signature Cat's Eye Portlights.

Before the rudder box could be built, the cockpit sole had to be installed. I used some clear caulking (which has some glue properties) to adhere the cockpit sole to the frames. While the glue dried, I drew up the parts that I would need to make the rudder box. The rudder box will have a curved roof that is removable to allow access to the servo and pushrods. The servo is waterproof and will be screwed and caulked in place. At the base of the rudder box, within the cockpit, there will be an access panel to inspect the aft end of the boat.

The roof of the rudder box comes next.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Oct 29, 2020 at 07:57 PM.
Oct 30, 2020, 07:28 AM
Nice work!
Nov 02, 2020, 04:33 PM
Thread OP

Rudder Box Roof and Spar Lamination

Hi Gammon Iron, thank you.

Hi Everyone,
The rudder box roof is now complete and the spars have been laminated. I've been pretty busy with house projects, so I've had limited time to devote to the catboat project. All work and no play makes me even more boring, so today was a play day.

The first part of the roof structure is a rectangle of 1/16" plywood that acts as a lip to slip down on the inside of the rudder box. During this part of the roof build, a layer of plastic food wrap acts as a glue barrier to keep me from gluing the roof to the box. The lip is glued to the roof and extends 1/4" into the box. This should do a lot to keep water off the servo. Two pieces of 1/8" plywood cut to an arc shape makes up the front and the back of the roof. Two pieces of 1/8"x1/4" spruce makes up the sides of the box. Some 1/8" balsa also went onto the sides of the roof structure to help fair the roof into the sides of the rudder box.

The roof of the box is covered in 1/8" x 1/2" balsa that was left over from planking the hull. All of the roof planks were glued together on edge and taped together with a piece of masking tape. The top of the roof framework was covered in a layer of Titebond III glue and the entire roof planking assembly (8 planks) went down on the roof structure as one piece. This saves time.

While the roof planks dried in the sun, I cut out the blanks for laminating the boom and gaff. The lamination is made up of two pieces of 1/4" x 1/2" Poplar, with a core of 1/16" plywood. I measured the drawings of the catboat that is inspiring this build and scaled their respective lengths to fit a 30" model boat. I will reserve the right to cut down the spars if needed if the sail area looks too great. My local model boat lake can get quite windy. I will build them to stock length and then see if it looks reasonable. These blanks will be shaped to create oval cross section spars.

The next part of the build will be to finish the trim work on the cabin...more glorious sanding.

Take care and stay safe.
Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Nov 02, 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Nov 04, 2020, 12:06 PM
skookum!!!

Quick Reply