to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2021, 05:00 AM
Well done, congrats on your maiden.

Cheers

Bill
May 27, 2021, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Hi Tim and Bill,
Thank you. What was really interesting with this experiment, was that all of the locations of the full scale critical parts for this build worked on the model....right off. The mast location and angle...the keel location....etc. The only big change was the length of the keel. I've heard that you can't scale water down (probably like syrup to the model), but most everything else worked and that makes perfect sense and is also surprising at the same time. I will probably continue to have revelations about this build for quite some time.

Bob SF
Jun 02, 2021, 11:38 AM
She looks great on the water! Good to see her sailing. How was her weather helm?
Jun 02, 2021, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Hi bboarder711,
Sailing Tamber felt like you were at the tiller of a full-scale boat. If left to her own, she heads up slightly and takes a graceful arc to windward.

In my mind, I've been comparing her to how the Pilot Cutter sailed, and I actually think the catboat did better....or is more familiar to my style of sailing. The Pilot Cutter tracks absolutely straight and just heals over more as the wind speed increases....to the point that her rudder is overwhelmed and you have to let off on the sheets and give her a "pop" of throttle to give you the feeling that you are in control again. This could also be that the conditions for sea trials were worse during the Pilot Cutter's first outing. I've moved the mast on the Pilot Cutter for her next adventure....the experiment continues.

If I were at the helm of a full-scale catboat and she behaved like the model....I'd be perfectly happy with her performance. I'm pretty sure that Fenwick knew what he was doing when he designed her. He did a great job.

Bob SF
Jun 07, 2021, 08:48 AM
That's great!
Jun 24, 2021, 12:51 PM
Thread OP

Sea Trials 2, Light Winds and Summer Days

Hi bboarder711, thank you....

Hi Everyone,
Sea Trials #2 took place yesterday at our local lake. Winds were very light, blowing from 0 - 10 mph, from any direction you could possibly think of. Catboat Tamber did really well and continues to be a joy to sail...this is a very easy sailing boat that you don't have to baby sit. She sailed for two hours, using 698 mah of her 2000 mah winch/radio battery. You could get four hours of easy sailing on a single charge. I can't seem to post any video of Catboat Tamber sailing on here, so if you go to a group called Wooden Model Sailing Boats on a popular application that starts with an F, you can see her sail. There may be a small change in her build. When I built her gooseneck, I didn't have the brass bar stock that I would have normally used, and I'm finding that the gooseneck is bending on the part that attaches to the boom. In the near future, I will be using some .09"x1/4" brass stock to make replacement parts. At the time, I was thinking that it would probably work, and it does, but it isn't tough enough. On the Pilot Cutter, Tatty-byes, the gooseneck has the .09" gooseneck parts and that shows no signs of bending. Summer has arrived, and it is time to play boats!

Take care and happy sailing,
Bob SF
Jun 25, 2021, 10:08 AM
Thread OP

Change Order 1 (Thicker Gooseneck Parts)

Hi Everyone,
I had some free time yesterday and I was looking at the gooseneck on the catboat and decided to just to do the fix and get it done. I like to have the boat ready-to-go, and having the less than stellar gooseneck parts is a problem waiting to happen.

The old goose neck was taken apart and the thicker parts were created using the originals as patterns. I ended up using some toothpicks and glue to fill in the old attachment points in the boom and used some longer screws and new holes to attach the new parts. A new (longer) pivot bolt was also installed as the width of the boom jaws got thicker and the old bolt was too short. If you build a gooseneck, go for the thicker parts!

It is nice to know that Tamber is ready to sail again and that her gooseneck is now up to the loads that sailing will put on the boat. The upper gooseneck that is on the boat has the thinner parts in it and appears to be plenty strong for replacing the gaff jaws on the model. I will leave that gooseneck for now, but Change Orders can always be needed to keep her sailing.

Take care and be safe,
Bob SF
Nov 18, 2021, 04:46 PM
Cape Slope Shark
BobSF Outstanding model. I live on Cape Cod and regularly sail catboats. Love seeing this model.
Jan
Nov 19, 2021, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Hi Jan,
You live in a beautiful area and I enjoyed seeing the catboats when I visited.....many years ago.

Glad you like the model. She is on charge now so that I can take her out next week. Fingers crossed for a gentle breeze!
Take care,
Bob SF
Nov 29, 2021, 04:55 AM

Well done

This is a great built boat, a good written log and the boat is beautifull.

Ten of ten points

Regards

Lothar
Nov 29, 2021, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Hi Lothar, Thank you. This was a really fun build and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Take care,
Bob SF

Quick Reply