Oct 23, 2020, 07:01 AM

Where's the bourbon

Chicago boys on the way!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2020, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryOgilvie
We also had a great practice day today.
Ed Dumas maidened his Ultima2. During the maiden a very beautiful Bald Eagle joined him in a thermal, it was an awesome sight to see.
Obviously his plane will have great Karma.
Makes me want to get one...
Thanks for the kind words Garry! I LOVE the new sailplane, and you should definitely get one!!
Oct 23, 2020, 07:54 PM
Moving post to classified.
Last edited by relaxnfly; Oct 25, 2020 at 11:09 AM.
Oct 24, 2020, 11:10 AM
Scores? They don't seem to be on gliderscore.
Oct 24, 2020, 11:35 AM
Jeff Carr
I hear its low overcast and they just started flying and are on round 3. No idea who is leading as the scores are not posted yet
Oct 24, 2020, 12:58 PM
Quick shot. Cleared up a bit and beautiful.
Oct 25, 2020, 06:58 AM
RCG Admin
Day 1 scores
Oct 25, 2020, 08:45 AM
Jody Miller
Waiting on the low ceiling to lift. On hold.
Oct 25, 2020, 02:20 PM
RCG Admin
Finals scores. We think....
Oct 25, 2020, 06:30 PM
Service Engine Soon
I had a good time House mountain I always feel like I'm at home there. I am never disappointed. Definitely a variety of conditions Saturday and Sunday. There was only a few flights that I would call easy the rest were difficult. I always like to talk about this one flight that I remember the most or that I will tell stories about years from now and there were several to choose from this time. But it was the low save in round nine just in front of the landing but close to the tree road and power lines. I never saw Paul and headed that direction because of the wind shift and started working a little light lift. And when I say low save I'm thinking 15 m at the lowest point. Then I see Paul circling to the left I didn't know who it was at the time but about 25 or 30 m high. His air looked a little better so I migrated over a little closer to where he was. It really wasn't much better there but just enough to get a couple more turns. As I was drifting towards the tree. I started to climb a little bit but had to stop and wait for the thermal to drift past the tree to go around to the other side or the right side to pick it back up it seemed like Paul sort of switched back and forth between in front of the tree and going to the right of the tree or past the tree but I got into a little better lift and all of a sudden was at the same height as he was. Now I was really trying to do some avoidance so I flew further back when I realized I was at the same height I think I would have not hit him if I would have stayed where I was at but I believe he made the same move at the same time I'm not real sure I would like to know another point of view as there were several witnesses as how that could have been avoided. I guess it was just one of those things. But anyway it was a light mid-air and Paul came back to land and I stayed in the thermal and made full-time ended up both tips hit doing minimal damage to both planes but it did crack my spar so I switched to my backup for the final round. I now know next time even in a small low thermal if it even looks close I'm not going to risk it and now think I should have descended a little bit underneath or just flown farther down wind over the power lines . It was a tight situation there for sure could have ended in a hang up and a fireball into the freaking power lines to get out of it with a couple of damage wing tips I guess not so bad after all. Flying with Oleg is the reason I have been successful I just copy what he does or try to.
Oct 25, 2020, 09:08 PM
Jody Miller
That was an epic flight for sure. Best save of the contest.
Good flying, sorry to hear about your tip.
Oct 26, 2020, 08:53 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Great event! Huge thanks to Jim and all his helpers for their hospitality. Next time pay your weather fee please!

It was great to see all friends and lots of strong TD and F3J pilots participating in the F5J event. Best thing about the events is meeting and talking with friends. And we had extra time for this because of the fog on Sunday

A very difficult field at least with the variable winds and weak thermals that we had. A lot of ways to hang yourself which I did in round 3 and that was weighing on me to the end of the contest. When you have a zero round, your contest result is unknown until the last flight is done. I was in good position after day one, but any significant loss could drop me down badly. Happy that I survived with minor losses only. There was a big “conspiracy” even organized before the last round with wages offered to pilots and timers to overthrow me all in good fun. The air became much easier on the second day by the last round, when the light wind started coming from the south.

Brady did exceptionally well and with a couple more rounds probably would have won the event. He was a great helper for me, we timed for each other most of the event.

Y’all come to our NC event in two weeks now.
Let’s do some more F5J flying here.

Last edited by olgol; Oct 26, 2020 at 09:07 AM.
Oct 26, 2020, 09:07 AM
RCG Admin
Thanks for posting those photos Oleg and congrats again on the win! The last round was super fun, even leading up to it. I was in 4th by about 31 points and Rich in 3rd did well the group before me, so there was no way I could pass him to get on the podium even with a 1000. Oleg was in the last group with me in 1st place and sitting on that 0 drop round. The only way I could get on the podium was to bury Oleg so bad it would drop him out of the top 3 and bump me into 3rd and Brady and Rich into 1st and 2nd. I was offered cash to do it too as incentive! lol. I really had nothing to lose so it was low risk high reward. It didn't matter if I ended in 4th or 10th, I still wasn't on the podium whether I played it safe or risky and missed, so I went for it with a 22M launch, but sadly it didn't work out. I'm glad I tried though and had a blast regardless of the outcome.

This contest was so much fun, even just hanging out in the morning waiting on the fog to clear. It's a great group of guys to be around and fly against. The competition was fierce and I'm glad I got to be there to enjoy it. See ya'll at the next one!
Oct 26, 2020, 09:28 AM
Are the scores going to be posted on glider score. The info as to height that was being flown to win each group. Thanks for posting the final scores Jason.

Art
Oct 26, 2020, 09:56 AM
RCG Admin
They are posted in Glider Score so you can look at each round to see the details.

Quick Reply