This thread is privately moderated by Geoff Potter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 04, 2020, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Return winch

Was asked to make a return winch to pull back the tow up winch line for our OTime gliders , mainly cause we are all getting too old to be trudging up and down a glider field every launch. And it's an even bigger pain to have to do it for 5/6 winches when , with a bit of efficiency, we should only need one winch on the field anyway .
We came up with one that did the job , using a 12 volt Kenworth truck windscreen wiper motor matched to a Ryobi 4" angle grinder gearbox and a plastic hand casting reel mounted on it , and it worked quite well but it was destroyed in a fire where it was stored between uses .
So I had a popular model , car starter motor and when I pulled it apart , it had a 7to1 reduction planetary gearbox on the end of it . So I machined all the extra casting off it and made a housing to carry the shaft with a bearing on the gear box end and two bearings on the output end . I machined two 1"" blocks of Aluminium and put indent springs and balls with a centre shaft to lock them but still able to turn 90degees , another peice to mount the motor/ gearbox . Had to grind all the starter motor bits off the output shaft and down to 8 mill to suit the bearings I had . I bought a plastic reel and mounted it on a boss with a taper lock on the shaft much the same as one would use for aprop drive on an electric model , simple quick and easy . I bolted a 1"" square mounting leg on the bottom block and that fits into a square tube driven into the ground and ropes to keep it upright. Another post 3/4 meters out towards the turnaround , with a guide for the retrieval line to run through completed the hardware . We tried it out and found a couple of problems that are an easy fix . 1 , the indent springs need to be fractionally stronger . 2, the earth lead from the xt90 plug to the frame needs to be of a higher rating . 3 , the line reel needs to be better as it broke the back off as the line was wound on to it and I think I will use Dacron line as well .
Have made the new line reel out of aluminium and will get my metal spinner friend to make a safety guide to make sure the line can't go down behind the reel as was on the old one , which was made from a sauspan lid .
Just need to get a chance to try it out again , which is not so easy with all that is going on in our world today .
Last edited by Geoff Potter; Aug 05, 2020 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply