Large Pattern Plane with Variable Pitch Prop System

Check out this amazing video of a large RC airplane hovering inverted and then flying vertically in reverse!

Splash

Very Cool VPP Setup

I came across this video recently, but couldn't find any information about the plane. It was posted by Andres Leoni and it shows a fairly large RC pattern style airplane flying across the runway, climbing up and then nosing over to point down. It sounds like it has a variable pitch prop system it uses to hover inverted.

He gets it very low to the ground and then is able to climb back up in reverse. I've never seen a plane this large be able to do this. Indoor foamies have had this capability for years, but this is the first time I've seen it used so successfully on a larger aircraft. Does anyone have any information about this system? I'd love to learn more about it. You can see the video below.

Aug 05, 2020, 10:47 AM
Koo
Koo
Wow never seen that before. Ended up finding a similar but longer clip of a different plane doing the same thing!

**INSANE** RC FLYING BACKWARDS 4D Delro Raven Markus Rummer - Weston Park 2018 (5 min 36 sec)
Aug 05, 2020, 11:26 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Nice!
Aug 05, 2020, 12:12 PM
I love watching the videos of variable pitch prop 3D foamies because they can do such insane looking "4D" stuff. I'm curious because videos of smaller VPP foamies have been around for years yet it still doesn't seem like a very common thing. Despite the huge popularity and wide variety of 30"- 48" wingspan flat profile profile EPP foamie kits, I've never seen one specifically sold as designed for VPP even as an option.

Are there performance trade-offs or is it super expensive? Are 4D tricks fundamentally much harder than the already-hard 3D tricks?
Aug 05, 2020, 02:06 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
We used to sell specific VPP foamies at Hobby Lobby back in the day. Specifically the "Animal" if anyone remembers that flying at the ETOC event. This was well before it was perfected and the performance now is much better, but yeah surprised as well there aren't more out there.
Aug 05, 2020, 11:03 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Koo, you found it,

was going to add: ever heard of Markus Rummer?

"Nikitis" Animal iirc, wow has it been that long?
Aug 06, 2020, 11:19 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Looks like the system is based on a heli rotor head and blades were used to get a “easy” VPP system.
Aug 06, 2020, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
We used to sell specific VPP foamies at Hobby Lobby back in the day. Specifically the "Animal" if anyone remembers that flying at the ETOC event. This was well before it was perfected and the performance now is much better, but yeah surprised as well there aren't more out there.

Jason - I'll look up the "Animal" but it doesn't sound like it's available anymore. I'm still curious to hear from anyone who has flown smaller VPP 3D foamies about what it's like. BTW, congrats on your recent win.
Aug 06, 2020, 04:02 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah it hasn't been available for a very long time. Nikitas made some great aircraft for the day back then. Thanks!
Aug 06, 2020, 04:42 PM
Some years ago, I remember someone from France demonstrating a variable pitch propeller 3D stunt plane. he was actually flying it inside a hangar at a commercial airplane facility too. it was very impressive and amazing with him hovering upside down.

I see that Banggood has one for sale too:
https://usa.banggood.com/CZ-F3P-4D-V...r_warehouse=CN
Last edited by earlwb; Aug 06, 2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add more info
Aug 07, 2020, 09:19 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Likely referencing:

3Don, aka Donatas Pauzuolis, certainly an impressive vpp pilot!
Aug 22, 2020, 07:46 AM
Crashing with style since 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koo
Wow never seen that before. Ended up finding a similar but longer clip of a different plane doing the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73eJUywem30
Awesome plane and swift flying. So smooth and nice.,
Nov 16, 2020, 07:35 PM
Hello All.

First of all thank you very much for share the video, this was great surprise for me, found it by a friend! i just posted on FB but, Youtube have more views
I can explain a lot about the model, but the project take 8 years for achieve the goal of work like it is working now. Of course this is a personal project and this take 8 years because i need also have a work to keep my family ok.
I leave two pictures, you can also visit my FB profile and will find many pictures of model.
Best regards to all of you!!
Andres Leoni.

Quick Reply