This thread is privately moderated by Blaze0021, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 03, 2020, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Video

Eflite UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic 6-Year Old 3S Performance Flight

Sometimes, I just don't want to bring a bigger plane to the field. Sometimes, I just want to return to my RC roots. And for that reason today is why I chose my old UMX Beast 3D to take to the field.

Eflite UMX Beast 3D BNF Basic 6-Year Old 3S Performance Flight (4 min 40 sec)

Purchased in 2014, and the third plane I've ever flown in my fleet. Prior to the UMX Beast 3D, I flew the UMX Champ to teach me basic 3-channel flight.. and later on, the UMX F4U Corsair for 4-channel orientation. I flew those two planes for the first year of flying RC. But in the second year, I took a chance on the UMX Beast 3D. It was my first aerobatic ultra micro. I have a lot of respect for this old biplane as in my earlier RC days, there were a lot of close narrow margin saves while I was still learning its agility (it's too bad that I don't have a flight video of my earlier days with this bipe.. comparing my flights back then, to now would have been something cool to compare). Since then, I've had countless flights with this amazing biplane and it has taught me a lot. I have much to thank it for.

Modified for 3S with an Eflite BL180 2300KV Brushless Motor and GWS 5043 (5x4.3) Propeller. Powered with Eflite 3S 300mAh 30C Lipos. This Beast has been flying on 3S for the past 5 years with no issues. The wings, interplane struts, and tail surfaces have also been carbon fiber rod-reinforced to handle the long-term stress of 3S.

Extra accessories include a Shapeways 3D-Printed UMX Beast 3D Nose Spinner, Small Parts CNC Aluminum UMX Prop Adapter, and Dubro 1" Mini Lite Wheels (for astroturf ground handling).

If there was only one UMX I could keep out of my 94 aircraft fleet, this UMX Beast 3D would be it. They certainly don't make it like this anymore.

MODIFICATIONS:

1) Motor: Eflite BL180 2300KV Brushless Outrunner.
2) Propeller: GWS 5043 (5x4.3) Propeller.
3) Airframe Surfaces: Carbon Fiber Rod-Reinforced.
4) Spinner: Shapeways 3D-Printed Nose Spinner.
5) Prop Adapter: Small Parts CNC Aluminum UMX Prop Adapter.
6) Wheels: Dubro 1" Mini Lites.

RECEIVER & BATTERY INFO:

1) Receiver - Stock Eflite EFLU4864 AS3X RX.
2) Battery - Eflite 3S 300mAh 30C Lipo (27 grams).

TRANSMITTER & FLIGHT INFO:

1) TX - Spektrum DX8 (Gen 2).
2) Throttle Timer - 4 Minutes.
3) Actual Flight Time - 3 Minutes, 56 Seconds.
4) Remaining Lipo Charge - 36% at 11.43v (3.81v / cell).

RATES, SERVO TRAVEL, & CONTROL ROD INFO:

1) Aileron 100% with 35% Expo
2) Elevator 100% with 0% Expo
3) Rudder 100% with 20% Expo
4) Servo Travel set to 98%
5) Aileron Control Rods placed to the outermost Control Horn Hole. Elevator and Rudder Control Rods placed to Innermost Control Horn Hole

ADDITIONAL INFO:

1) Cameraman - Robert "Doc" Mickelsen.
2) Footage Taken With - iPhone 11.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2020, 01:34 PM
Koo
Koo
I never realized how zippy some of these UMX planes are out of the box, great flying!

Quick Reply