RealFlight Trainer Edition - RCG First Look!

Jim T. Graham takes a test fly on the new Trainer Edition. With 6 aircraft from Horizon Hobby and flying lessons from experienced RC pilots, you'll be ready to solo in no time.

Splash

Start your RC journey with RealFlight Trainer Edition

Beginners Rejoice!

I am a RealFlight devotee and used it to teach myself how to land many years ago. The Horizon and RF team have taken it upon themselves to create the ultimate tool for new RC pilots!

Here are the benefits I see...

• Get instruction from real RC pilots (the voice of one I recognize as a user that has been on RCG for over 20 years!).
  • Test fly some of Horizon's best beginner planes.
  • Try out the SAFE system, plus LAS. What are those things? Watch my video for more info.
  • Learn to fly on simulated RC planes that fly like the real thing.
  • And more!

After you go through the lessons you not only will come away with RC knowledge, you might even know which first airplane you want to buy. I know one of them really surprised me (I want it now).

Start out in the SAFE beginner mode and move up as your skills grow.

Horizon and RealFlight have really created a great piece of software that can help a newbie become a real RC pilot!!

RealFlight Trainer Edition - RCGroups First Look! (35 min 50 sec)

From Horizon

Learn to fly with the #1 radio-control flight simulation brand in the world. RealFlight Trainer Edition is powered by the industry-leading RealPhysics™ engine, and designed by both full-scale and RC pilots. This unmatched realism makes RealFlight an essential tool for any new RC pilots learning to fly. Hone your skills in RealFlight's True-to-Life digital environment so you can pilot your physical models safely with confidence and style!

Beginner Airplanes and Helicopter Included

RealFlight Trainer Edition contains 6 essential trainer aircraft from Horizon Hobby. The flight characteristics are meticulously reproduced, and electronic assistance like SAFE, AS3X, and more are included on the simulated airplanes. Practice in the simulator and you’ll be ready to solo the real thing in no time.

Aircraft included:

• Blade 230 S V2
  • E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m
  • E-flite Habu STS 70mm EDF
  • HobbyZone Aeroscout S
  • HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3m
  • HobbyZone Sport Cub S

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM

• Processor: Intel® Pentium® 1.0GHz or equivalent
  • Memory: 512 MB RAM
  • Graphics: Full DirectX 9 compliant
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Storage: 2 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:

• Processor: Dual-Core 2.4 GHz Processor or better
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: 3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Storage: 2 GB available space

Learn More (Pricing)

Horizon link with pricing

Head over to Steam for more info on the release date, pricing and more.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Aug 06, 2020 at 05:40 PM..
Aug 05, 2020, 10:34 PM

RealFlight Trainer Edition

Is the simulator free?
Aug 06, 2020, 03:13 PM
I have a Dx6 transmitter. Right now I have a crx usb dongle and I am wondering if the Trainer Edition will recognize this, or do I have to get the one from Spektrum?
Aug 06, 2020, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
More info here - https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../RFL1205D.html
Aug 09, 2020, 01:40 AM
Just always blame the wind....
Here are the results from the link:

This item is currently not available.

But it is on sale !

RealFlight Trainer Edition for Steam Download Only
Item No. RFL1205D
$39.99 Price reduced from $49.99

HA !
Last edited by ServiceRep; Aug 09, 2020 at 01:43 AM. Reason: More info
Aug 09, 2020, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
It's not available yet.
Aug 09, 2020, 02:37 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
It seems like a fairly odd and limited selection of aircraft. Is this all the aircraft that Horizon considers to fit in the trainer category? The Habu doesn't seem like a trainer in the same way the other rather dinky planes do. On the other hand, I would think the Timber would be included. Or some of the UMX series.

Horizon should make this available for $9.99 or similar nominal cost or include it for free with the purchase of one of those planes.
Aug 10, 2020, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
It seems like a fairly odd and limited selection of aircraft. Is this all the aircraft that Horizon considers to fit in the trainer category? The Habu doesn't seem like a trainer in the same way the other rather dinky planes do. On the other hand, I would think the Timber would be included. Or some of the UMX series.

Horizon should make this available for $9.99 or similar nominal cost or include it for free with the purchase of one of those planes.
They consider the Habu a trainer Jet and from what I have seen, granted on YouTube, is simple to fly. This software and the USB dongle is included with the Habu RTF.
Aug 17, 2020, 12:54 PM
The Habu in this package is designed as a trainer and there is another habu that is definitely not a trainer. A guy at my field has one and he says it's a great beginner bird
Aug 18, 2020, 06:38 AM
mgg
mgg

How does it compare with AeroSIM RC?

How does it compare with the training programs available in AeroSIM RC?

Airplane Training Program in AeroSIM RC
www.aerosimrc.com/../airplane.htm

Multirotor and Helicopter Training Programs:
www.aerosimrc.com/../drone-simulator.htm
www.aerosimrc.com/../helicopter.htm

SAFEDrone Simulation - Land (0 min 39 sec)

Aug 18, 2020, 01:27 PM
I went to download AeroSIM RC and my anti-virus (BitDefender) flagged it as an infected file. Probably an over-protective anti-virus program.
Aug 31, 2020, 04:48 PM
I don't know why everyone is saying that it's hard to fly.
Sep 08, 2020, 10:34 AM

Total Newbie view of Habu RTF Package complete oversight

I am a complete newbie. The RF Trainer included with the Habu RTF feature is unbelievably necessary in developing a level of confidence and muscle memory for flying. It's all I have to learn in order to have some level of success and making Club Trainer time valuable to us both. From that point of view, the glaring oversite is the RF Trainer does not have a Spektrum DXs option. I've been provided a document for how to edit an existing option (i.e. Spektrum 7+ channel) to create my own DXs controller option. I'm getting reasonable, but not complete success in doing this. For instance:
1. I can’t seem to get 3 way and 2 way toggles to setup properly, they revert to proportional.
2. I can’t seem to get the proper channels to match up to information provided in the DXs manual(s).

To have a complete Habu RTF package for the beginners it is aimed at my contention is that there should be a tested and verified DXs controller choice in the RealFlight Trainer. This would be more accurate in the end and not have newbie's learning on self-modified, less than perfect creations of the DXx controller and teaching them bad habits on the training simulation.

How about this Horizon Hobby? Can you make this happen for us unexperienced folks?

Quick Reply