Aug 03, 2020, 09:38 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Thread OP

Wrong Polarity Blow Power Supply???

I've got one of the Hobbyking 350w 25a power supply's and it's just blown I think.

It was hooked up to a charger but I'm wondering if I got the polarity wrong trying to charge something ... would this cause the power supply to blow, I would have though the charger would tell me it was the wrong polarity and protect the power supply and not cause this to die??

Shame as it's been a great unit and makes virtually no noise at all compared to the other one I have.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2020, 11:21 AM
I have reversed polarity connecting my charger to PS (power supply) more times that I want to admit here but usually is the charger who complains...

Does you PS have an internal fuse?

Tai
Aug 03, 2020, 12:41 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings
I've got one of the Hobbyking 350w 25a power supply's and it's just blown I think.
Define blown? Let the smoke out? Just dead? While in use?

Quote:
It was hooked up to a charger but I'm wondering if I got the polarity wrong trying to charge something ... would this cause the power supply to blow, I would have though the charger would tell me it was the wrong polarity and protect the power supply and not cause this to die??
Unlikely. Like you say, worst that should happen is the charger would complain. And if anything was damaged it would be the charger.

Quote:
Shame as it's been a great unit and makes virtually no noise at all compared to the other one I have.
They're not known to be the most reliable PSUs, and quieter tends to mean less cooling=shorter life.
Aug 03, 2020, 04:56 PM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Thread OP
I plugged in a new lead that I'd made up and it was saying voltage too low. I went out of the room literally for 20 seconds and when I came back in the lights on the charger had gone out and I thought maybe it had damaged / blown the charger initially and there was a slight buring smell.

I tried swapping the fuse in the plug of the PSU (tested the fuse I'd taken out in a lamp and the new one I was about to put in) and the second I plugged it back in despite the unit being turned off there cas a crack / spark from where the plug goes and another fuse blown.

Must admit I#d heard they're not the most reliable, I've used mine for 4+ years withought any issue although never really pushed it hard but I haven't used it for about a year now and wondered if maybe it just sat and gathered a heap of dust which might have affected it.

Quick Reply