to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2020, 03:00 PM
Barnwell, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Another Cox conversion underway.

Fun with foam!
Tony
Nice! Where do you find these Fly Fly products?
Aug 01, 2020, 04:20 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn
Nice! Where do you find these Fly Fly products?
Purchased from Hobby People, eBay, and local swap meets over the years. Same with GWS and vintage Cox stuff. As newer brushless electric models arrived in the market place, the old stuff was blown out. I just kept buying cheap foam airframe kits and storing them in the shop. Glad to finally tackle some of these projects.
Aug 02, 2020, 11:04 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Finished painting the cockpit today.
Aug 03, 2020, 10:20 PM
That's cool. That's a good looking little Trojan.
Aug 03, 2020, 11:27 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOI53Y
That's cool. That's a good looking little Trojan.
Thanks Glenn!

Tonight, I added temporary fixed flaps, set at approximately 15 degrees.
Aug 04, 2020, 07:28 AM
J40
J40
Airplanus Erectus
Hey X, cool project! Whats the flap experiment all about?
Aug 04, 2020, 09:53 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by J40
Hey X, cool project! Whats the flap experiment all about?
Thanks J40!

I'm hoping to get more lift, slower cruise and dead stick landing speeds. The original electric powered models were a handful to fly and way too fast.
Aug 04, 2020, 02:29 PM

flying speed and wingloading are related

If a plane has a high wingloading it will have a high stall speed.
Flaps might help a little but are not a good "cure" better to find a way to reduce weight.

If the cox and empty tank are less heavy then the original motor/battery/esc setup then you might be able to remove weight from the tail (hollow the tail?) while maintaining cg.
You could even do that if the plane is a bit nose heavy and then move the reciever/ battery and servo's back to correct cg.
Aug 04, 2020, 04:46 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP

Airfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder
If a plane has a high wingloading it will have a high stall speed.
Flaps might help a little but are not a good "cure" better to find a way to reduce weight.

If the cox and empty tank are less heavy then the original motor/battery/esc setup then you might be able to remove weight from the tail (hollow the tail?) while maintaining cg.
You could even do that if the plane is a bit nose heavy and then move the reciever/ battery and servo's back to correct cg.
Weight is not a problem. In fact, with the gear removed, it's really light. I'm just experimenting with a flap mod due to thin wing and stab airfoils. Same mod I performed last year on my foam .020 RF-4D Sportavia conversion with thin airfoil....worked great! Reduced speed, provided more lift, and improved power off glide.
Last edited by xplaneguy; Aug 04, 2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: sp
Aug 04, 2020, 05:28 PM

when do you expect the first flights?

Since your reasoning is diferent then what i am used to., i would love ot see the results of the test flights.
If you are proven to be right then i will try it in my next projects

Test including stall speed and recovery if posssible and also see if it wants to tip stall.

Aug 04, 2020, 05:37 PM
Pro Hoarder
That is the good thing about flaps..designed to increase lift and allow slower speeds.. A 020 wont make it a rocket
Latest blog entry: In flight
Aug 04, 2020, 05:51 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder
Since your reasoning is diferent then what i am used to., i would love ot see the results of the test flights.
If you are proven to be right then i will try it in my next projects

Test including stall speed and recovery if posssible and also see if it wants to tip stall.

You should try it now and share your results...you may be surprised!
Aug 04, 2020, 05:55 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
That is the good thing about flaps..designed to increase lift and allow slower speeds.. A 020 wont make it a rocket
Yep...no concerns here. Heck, it's a $20 airframe, so I'm not over analyzing these little foamies. Just building and flying!
Aug 04, 2020, 07:41 PM
Very curious to see what paint and markings your T-28 is going to have.

Your recent aircraft have looked good........and Callie Graphics has quite a selection for the T-28.

Quick Reply