Jul 30, 2020, 08:42 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Discussion

Electric CX5 for F5K....or TALES

Yesterday some goodies from the Stream Team showed up on my doorstep. It was a long wait.... Covid-19....
What I bought was their new electric fuse and tails to slide onto one of my existing CX5 wings. So today I mounted the power system I picked up from Aeromodelis and tail feathers. Just for fun I stuck the RX, servos and battery in it and it only weighed 255g. Iím super happy with that. I can hardly wait to get her in the air....
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2020, 01:26 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Just a quick follow up here. When I finally got it all done it ended up at 271g with the CG at 68mm. It does have a CAM unit in it. That might be a bit heavier than an ALTIS but not enough to make much of a difference. I didn't have to add any weight to get it to balance. The battery sits pretty close to the CG quite easily. I just slid it back and forth until I was happy.

It flies wonderfully! I couldn't be happier with it. The power system from Aeromodlis was good but I didn't like the ESC and ended up switching that out for a CC Talon 15. With the 2S 450 from Tattu it climbs straight up! I have launched it up to 6 times on one charge but I didn't check the battery afterwards to see how much it used up. The low voltage cutoff didnt kick in so I think it's pretty darn good!
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Aug 11, 2020 at 04:07 PM.
Aug 11, 2020, 03:54 PM
Be careful with the low voltage cut-off, it is not a reliable tool to know you battery voltage because it is possible (and probable) that the ESC is set/default to a soft cut-off, and before you know it will will lose your model.
You can either connect the 2S directly to the receiver to have telemetry (I do that), or be aware that after 4-5 short climbs you need to change the battery.

Eitan
Aug 11, 2020, 04:06 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
I figured 4 was about all it had in it but some of the climbs were pretty short. I’m kind of surprised by how much authority the power system has.
Aug 11, 2020, 09:34 PM
Yes, it's really good... very powerful
Sep 11, 2020, 07:48 AM
I havenít used a Nano before. I had set it up to cut off after 10 second motor run or at 150 ft. My first two flights my altimeter read out 61 meters (200 ft) after motor cut off. A variation of 50 ft doesnít seem correct. How can I confirm what actually occurred. Or did I just not set it correctly. Iím using Jesperís F5K program.
Sep 11, 2020, 08:27 AM
I received this copy of the proposed F5K rules. Is this the latest version? I think parts of it are unnecessarily complex and unwieldy. If some one could explain the reasoning behind these I would appreciate it.

A formula for determining launch height to be determined from the previous days wind speed? What happens if the wind measurements arenít done?
Flight boxes to stand in while flying seems unnecessarily restrictive.
Landing in the same box at the end of the task? There are no landing points only penalties.
15 second landing window could be a safety issue with pilots diving in to make the Time.
15 second prep time between flights in All-up? That makes it a turn around task. Not to mention the possibility of an inadvertent motor start while rushing to reset for the next flight.
Banning catching the plane for a landing. At fields with minimal grass, like Poway, that significantly increases the chances for damage.

Initially F5K was supposed to be a way to level the launch abilities of the contestants and provide a relaxed and fun experience. These proposed Rules seem to be going in exactly the opposite direction.
Sep 11, 2020, 08:48 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
At this point our club, GDSHS has no plans of running any F5K contests. Instead, as our F3K CD I'm allowing people to fly F5K planes in our F3K contests. The only caveat is that they have to be 65 years old and up OR otherwise physically unable to throw a plane.

In the future that may change but right now that's how we're doing it. This season has been messed up pretty bad due to weather and Covid... We've only seen one or two guys fly their electrics but so far it's worked out well.

Mike
Sep 11, 2020, 08:51 AM
Oops, double post
Last edited by fv38wheels; Sep 11, 2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Double post
Sep 11, 2020, 08:52 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fv38wheels
I havenít used a Nano before. I had set it up to cut off after 10 second motor run or at 150 ft. My first two flights my altimeter read out 61 meters (200 ft) after motor cut off. A variation of 50 ft doesnít seem correct. How can I confirm what actually occurred. Or did I just not set it correctly. Iím using Jesperís F5K program.
I have two ALTIS micros that I bought for TALES but both I've had mess up the launch height even though I had them programed for a launch height cutoff. For that reason, I've gone to the TALES version of the CAM altitude limiter. It's simple and works for 60m but the time is 20 seconds. Since we all seem to climb as fast as we can, the time part isn't really an issue but it could be if people wanted to abuse it. So far, no one has.
Sep 11, 2020, 08:53 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Seems to me that Europeans like rules and this (f5k) is a Frankenstein mixture of f3k, f5j, and f3res.

I think the simplest thing to do would be to set a launch height/time standard, and then fly it just like f3k except for tip launch QTs. Hand catch and then throw allowed.

There is no need for penalties or landing tasks. No need to extend the working time. Just fly the f3k tasks as is.

If we start with mixing electrics and f3k in a mixed launch event, the fliers will figure out how to fly the tasks very quickly. Then flying a straight electric event the same way will be a natural.

No need to be overly complicated imho.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Sep 11, 2020, 08:58 AM
I wish I was able to make one of your contests, sounds like fun.
The AZ group is taking the opposite approach. I asked if I could fly my F5K in their F3K contest and was told I could not. They want to fly a couple of strictly F5K contests before trying to integrate the two. Hopefully the Eldorado or Torrey Pines events will allow it.
Sep 11, 2020, 09:02 AM
Wayne Wimbish
I am planning to take my converted Vortex3 to the Possum Toss where they are allowing mixed launch. In light air I will probably still through my lighter models but when things get stirred up to where I would be ballasting anyway then I'll give the electric a go.
Sep 11, 2020, 09:08 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz
...The only caveat is that they have to be 65 years old and up OR otherwise physically unable to throw a plane...
I can understand the logic but I think it is shortsighted if trying to promote the new electrics. Yes, the electrics are a great help to those who have throwing issues, but think about it. If the electric is limited to a 50M launch and is at least an ounce heavier than the typical f3k planes, the electric flier is still at a disadvantage compared to the hard throwers.

The plane provides its own self limitations. Why add an age restriction as if it was some kind of an advantage?

Wayne
Sep 11, 2020, 10:35 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Thread OP
Something funny is going on. I’m pretty sure I didn’t double post this...
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 11, 2020 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply