NATS 2020 Unlimited Results and Photos

I'd love to be able to tell what an awesome day it was for soaring, but sadly the weather put a damper on the flying for today. After a short delay in the morning we managed to get through one full round of flying with several breaks for light showers.

Splash

NATS 2020 Unlimited

I'd love to be able to tell what an awesome day it was for soaring, but sadly the weather put a damper on the flying for today. After a short delay in the morning we managed to get through one full round of flying with several breaks for light showers. hen a steady sprinkle of rain stuck around that was just enough to put a stop to flying and the day was called around 2:30pm. We will carry on for tomorrow which looks like a better weather day. The action will begin around 8:30am and we'll see how many rounds we can get through with 4 groups per round.

Today wasn't a total loss as hanging out under the tents and listening to stories of years past can be just as much fun as flying. We had a great day despite not being able to get much flying in. Here are the results from the first round along with some photos I was able to take throughout the day.

Jul 30, 2020, 02:13 PM
Rain delay is still better a day at work....
Jul 31, 2020, 09:13 AM

NATS Unlimited

Thanks for posting Jason.
Jul 31, 2020, 11:51 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
4 rounds completed. Lunch break. Should be starting back up soon.
Aug 01, 2020, 09:13 PM
Jason, looks like you been flying too much F3K and didn't do enough landing practice.
Aug 01, 2020, 09:31 PM
Jason. Thank you for the Unlimited pics and congratulations on the F3K win!
Aug 02, 2020, 09:09 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Thanks! Yeah I never practice landings. I had fun in unlimited, but not sure what I really think about a format where it really comes down to how close you can land to a pin.
Aug 02, 2020, 09:21 AM
Yea, with a modern sailplane it's just not all that difficult to make your times so the landings end up being the determining factor. Here locally we recently had what we called the " Thermal Deathmatch ". It was a bracketed man on mam contest. The format was two guys launch together, last Man down wins and advances with a max flight time of 20 minutes. If both make 20 minutes the same two fly again. If they both make 20 minutes again, it's decided by spot landing. At the end of the day ( 10 hrs on the field ) I had 4 - 20 minute flights and 6 - 15 plus minute flights. Took home 2nd place and was wiped out for a couple days.
Aug 02, 2020, 12:07 PM
Science wins because it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gressman
Jason. Thank you for the Unlimited pics...
Yes, "unlimited" in more ways than one.
Latest blog entry: I'll be glad when this is over.
Aug 06, 2020, 12:35 PM
Going in circles.
Although I've been in a few "landing" contests where everyone makes their time and it comes down to the tape, Louis Glaab was the only pilot to make his time in all 7 rounds this year (and not land out). He also had an average landing score of over 90 points, so he definitely earned the win. The conditions were challenging with lots of people getting buried as well as quite a few people landing out after going downwind too far. Good times!

Quick Reply