Aug 01, 2020, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
It was technically 69mm (it used the E-flite Delta-V 15 fan unit), but they’re basically interchangeable And yes, the new 70mm fan plus outrunner motor will definitely boost the performance of an old Habu or Habu 2!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2020, 01:08 PM
Dont confuse me with the facts
Well, I have a need for speed. I own four Habu 32X’s up to 12S, two Habu 32DF’s up to 8S, and two Dynum Meteor’s up to 6S. The Dynum Meteor’s do not have flaps, but were modified with E-flite retracts, a 1W-40 motor, and Mini Evo, fan. I like to see the Habu line come back. If the Hubu 2 would have been around, I would have bought it instead of the Dynum Meteor.

Am I to understand that that this new Habu has a different wing to allow slower flights. If so, is it thicker, so it can not get to the speeds of the old Habu 2 with the same power?

Scott
Aug 01, 2020, 01:11 PM
Wanted: More Time to Fly
Well I just got back from a business trip and heard about this, thank you Jason and the HH team for bringing back a favorite of mine!
As long as I get a AR637 with the PNP I should be able to get SMART telemetry, right? Was planning on doing that and getting some new 4S packs for it.

Do you think it could survive an upgrade to a FMS 70mm 1900KV 6S fan, 80A SMART ESC, and 6S 3300 pack down the line, or would S.A.D-worthy destruction ensue?
All we need now is a foam Habu32 to come out with the same powerplant as the Havoc and we'll be perfect so I can have two fun Habus to play with.

Here's a video of my original, had to retire it a bit back as the tail section turned to soft mushy foam so I deemed it unsafe to fly, probably the best jet HH has made
Habu burning it up over DBRCA (3 min 56 sec)
Aug 01, 2020, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdogzrc
Well I just got back from a business trip and heard about this, thank you Jason and the HH team for bringing back a favorite of mine!
As long as I get a AR637 with the PNP I should be able to get SMART telemetry, right? Was planning on doing that and getting some new 4S packs for it.

Do you think it could survive an upgrade to a FMS 70mm 1900KV 6S fan, 80A SMART ESC, and 6S 3300 pack down the line, or would S.A.D-worthy destruction ensue?
All we need now is a foam Habu32 to come out with the same powerplant as the Havoc and we'll be perfect so I can have two fun Habus to play with.

Here's a video of my original, had to retire it a bit back as the tail section turned to soft mushy foam so I deemed it unsafe to fly, probably the best jet HH has made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsnxBidhujw&t=43s
I deff agree. 80mm habu with a better gear design to handle grass without bending. Make 1 foam and one wood or composite. I know the answer already. Wood doesn't sell well. Make it anyway the way car companies make a crazy sports car for brand image. Think Audi r8 or that new 100k Lexus
Low volume but great for image
Aug 01, 2020, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes! It's not a "full" Smart ESC (so you won't get individual cell voltages and pack temperature when using a Smart battery), but you'll still get overall pack voltage, motor RPM, current draw and ESC temp from the telemetry-capable 70A ESC when you use it with a Smart receiver (AR410, AR620, AR637T, etc.) and a regular or Smart battery!

Quote:
Yes! We've already been flying a few on 6S without issue

Quote:
Aug 01, 2020, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Of all the things in this thread, THAT got my attention! Oh ho!!
Latest blog entry: TopFlite DC3
Aug 01, 2020, 02:59 PM
What about the AA bats in the radio, or they rechargeable or do you have to replace them and how long do they last before they need replacing . Thank you.
Aug 01, 2020, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
The included AA batteries will last for at least a few hours...which will be enough for a few dozen flights. Then, if you replace them with name-brand alkaline AA batteries (like Duracell, Energizer, or other similar capacity AAs), they will last for upwards of 4-8 times longer...probably for hundreds of flights and/or months of use. You can replace them with rechargeable batteries of course, but most people I know who do that end up going back to the alkalines (myself included!) because they last so long and you never have to worry about charging! I do carry a spare set of 4 AA batteries in my transmitter case, but I almost never need them.

BTW, there are audible (tones) and visual (flashing LED) alerts when the AA batteries get to a low enough voltage they should be replaced (or charged if using rechargeable batteries).
Last edited by Jason M; Aug 01, 2020 at 04:00 PM.
Aug 01, 2020, 04:13 PM
Wanted: More Time to Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Yes! It's not a "full" Smart ESC (so you won't get individual cell voltages and pack temperature when using a Smart battery), but you'll still get overall pack voltage, motor RPM, current draw and ESC temp from the telemetry-capable 70A ESC when you use it with a Smart receiver (AR410, AR620, AR637T, etc.) and a regular or Smart battery!

Yes! We've already been flying a few on 6S without issue

Thanks for that info Jason, it's much appreciated. That telem info should be more than enough for my flying, I wonder if a settings file for the Habu will be released fairly soon for the 637 too. By any chance could you release a video of the Habu on 6S, I have to see what she does!

One question: say a student approaches me with one of these RTF, are there any shortfalls they could get into in beginner mode (IE how severe would a stall be and would it be best to encourage them to keep some power on landing for example? Apprentice is my favorite trainer to teach students all aspects of flying of course (including 3D flying ) so I'm sure I'll have some new methods for teaching on the Habu.

And Jason, if a new Habu 32 is coming, that explosion you probably heard was my wallet, between the Ultimate making a comeback along with the Habu you all have been hitting it out of the park
Aug 01, 2020, 06:35 PM
big ignore list/drama is dumb
I'm all over this thing, I think it's cool even though I've been in the hobbies over 35yrs!
Aug 01, 2020, 06:44 PM
Talking about pricing and what you get.Something to throw out there is the batteries the Habu uses are common for other 4S planes as well.That being said Viper jet is not much more than a PNP Habu after getting a receiver. However you have to start buying 6S batteries if your working up to the 6S powered jets and been flying 4S.The Habu you will have the batteries to fly already.So thats a cost some arent figuring too.

Side note: 4S prop plane to 4S jet is easier transition than 4S prop to 6S jet imo... (in most cases)
Aug 01, 2020, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
I'm all over this thing, I think it's cool even though I've been in the hobbies over 35yrs!
I too am starting to give this some serious consideration and Iíve been in the hobby for 47 years. Sometimes the K.I.S.S. principal with low stress is a lot of fun and try is to fill that role. No frills, just fun.

Jason, howís the knife edge capabilities on the new Habu? You did a great job demonstrating the flight envelope in your flight talk videos that you have me considering this.
Aug 01, 2020, 11:17 PM
Dont confuse me with the facts
Jason, could you speak to the fact this wing has the span of a Habu 32DF 80mm EDF, but is powered by a 70mm fan. It looks lighter than the old 69mm Habus, but much bigger. For those of us that have flown the other Habus, what all did they change on the wing? It looks like they made it thicker too. Am I seeing that right? It seems as though they gave up some speed to make this very user friendly with minimal wing loading.

Scott
Aug 02, 2020, 11:55 AM
Hi Scottfpv,

obviously the new version is not scale. It is a brand new idea from HH to transform this jet into a beginner plane. So donít compare it with previous versions.
I always was anxious to give a propeller plane into the hands of my kids. So a jet is much safer to handle.

I would appreciate, if real beginners could demonstrate this jet on YouTube. Experts flying this plane in beginner mode and then fast change to 3D mode, doesnít make sense.
The only true beginner I saw here, was the son of RC Geek (Youtube).
Aug 02, 2020, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumi
Hi Scottfpv,

obviously the new version is not scale. It is a brand new idea from HH to transform this jet into a beginner plane. So donít compare it with previous versions.
I always was anxious to give a propeller plane into the hands of my kids. So a jet is much safer to handle.

I would appreciate, if real beginners could demonstrate this jet on YouTube. Experts flying this plane in beginner mode and then fast change to 3D mode, doesnít make sense.
The only true beginner I saw here, was the son of RC Geek (Youtube).
She is in the beginner/intermediate level or therebouts...
PERFECT!! RC Smart Jet Plane for Beginners - E-flite Habu STS - TheRcSaylors (11 min 22 sec)

Quick Reply