Jul 31, 2020, 12:06 PM
Jason I'm surprised you didn't mention hand launching and explaining that it's a great simple plane for experienced pilots as well. I think it's a great simple no nonsense jet. Low cost, don't have to worry about messing with retracts. I love a low stress fun edf.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2020, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
FWIW, most people prefer takeoffs and landings on gear if/when they have the option. This is likely because successfully hand launching and belly landing is actually more difficult for many people compared to landing on gear (especially if they have a suitable surface to takeoff from/land on). That said, we do show a few "fun" hand launches of the Habu STS in this video starting around the 1:50 mark:

E-flite® Habu STS (Smart Trainer w/SAFE) 70mm EDF Jet RTF/PNP (4 min 51 sec)

As you can see, the Habu STS is VERY easy to hand launch, especially when using SAFE/Beginner Mode and 4S! It's also easy on 3S, but the launches will have to be a bit more traditional/typical (overhand or underhand). And yes, that makes it a very low stress, no hassles, fun to fly EDF for a lot of people!
Last edited by Jason M; Jul 31, 2020 at 01:44 PM.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by savall21
Well played Horizon. I have a 13yr old who is intrigued. Can you tell me some more about the landing sensor? I've taught him to fly but landing is still a challenge. Yeah, I know thats the hard part.
The optional Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) works with the flight controller installed in the RTF version. It won't work with the PNP version unless you install the same flight controller and serial receiver installed in the RTF which is not terribly cost effective...so if you'd like to use the LAS we definitely recommend buying the RTF even if you plan to use your own transmitter, battery, etc. (but one HUGE added benefit of buying the RTF version is that it also includes the RealFlight Trainer Edition RC Flight Simulator for PCs so your son can practice flying the Habu STS on that and/or follow the Virtual Flight Instructor lessons that are built in as well before flying the "real" model at the field!).

The LAS effectively "sees" the ground, and using a combination of real-time throttle and elevator inputs, will automatically "flare" to help smooth out landings in the Beginner and Intermediate modes for less experienced pilots. You see can much of this in more detail starting around the 3:12 mark in this video:

E-flite® Habu STS (Smart Trainer w/SAFE) 70mm EDF Jet RTF/PNP (4 min 51 sec)

I also talk about/show the LAS starting around the 15:10 minute mark in this video:

Overview: E-flite® Habu STS (Smart Trainer w/SAFE) 70mm EDF Jet (17 min 28 sec)

The LAS is available separately for $29.99, and although they're currently out of stock in our US warehouses, some local/online retailers may have them in stock (or you can backorder one through us/them and we should have more in August):

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../SPMA3180.html
Last edited by Jason M; Jul 31, 2020 at 01:40 PM.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:41 PM
Go Sabres!
Thanks! So I see that receiver is listed for $59. Plus the sensor at $29. Still cheaper than the RTF. Is there any plan the bring that functionality to a receiver that can be used on a different plane.

What planes does the RealFlight Trainer edition come with? I have an older version of RealFlight and was thinking I could just download a Habu model.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaf
Hello,
Can we handlaunch this Habu on 3s ?
Yes, definitely!! It will just require a more traditional overhand or underhand launch (not the wingtip and almost vertical launches we show when using 4S in the Product Launch Video ).
Jul 31, 2020, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks! So I see that receiver is listed for $59. Plus the sensor at $29. Still cheaper than the RTF. Is there any plan the bring that functionality to a receiver that can be used on a different plane.

What planes does the RealFlight Trainer edition come with? I have an older version of RealFlight and was thinking I could just download a Habu model.
The flight controller does not include a receiver, so you also need to add that:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../SPM4650C.html

As you can see, the flight controller @ $59.99, plus the receiver @ $34.99 and the PNP version airplane @ $219.99 = $314.97. For only $85 more you can get the RTF which includes a Spektrum DXS 7-channel transmitter with telemetry that's a $99.99 value (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../SPMR1010.html), a Spektrum Smart 3S 4000mAh 30C battery which is a $54.99 value (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...X40003S30.html), a Spektrum Smart 120 charger which is a $19.99 value (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...SPMXC1020.html), RealFlight Trainer Edition which is a $39.99 value (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../RFL1205D.html) and a Spektrum WS2000 Wireless USB Simulator Dongle which is a $39.99 value (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...SPMWS2000.html). Those components alone add up to $254.95, which means you're basically getting the Habu STS with a 70mm fan and motor, 70A telemetry-capable ESC, 5 servos, a flight controller and receiver for $145 at the RTF package price of $399.99.

If you have RF9 now, you will be able to download the Habu STS in a future update (likely in October with some other models, updates, etc.). If you have any version of RF before that you won't be able to download the Habu unless you buy RF9 first...or the new RealFlight Trainer Edition version that's only $39.99 (or included for FREE with the RTF version Habu STS)...which can also be updgraded to the "full edition" RF9 (or later "full edition" versions of RF) at any time for $69.99: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../RFL1205D.html

Quote:
RealFlight® is the #1 RC flight simulator in the world! It's also the absolute best tool new RC pilots can use when learning how to fly. With 6 different aircraft — including 1 helicopter and 5 of the most popular trainer airplanes from the Best Brands in RC — plus Virtual Flight Instructor lessons perfect for first-time pilots, RealFlight Trainer Edition has everything you need to succeed in learning to fly RC because you can practice "flying" on a computer before you fly your model at the field!

RealFlight Trainer Edition runs on a wide variety of PCs from laptops to desktops running Windows® 7, 8 or 10. It's compatible with the Spektrum™ InterLink® DX Simulator Controller (SPMRFTX1, sold separately) that connects directly to a USB port for easy plug and play use. Or you can use the WS2000 USB Dongle (SPMWS2000, sold separately) with a compatible Spektrum 2.4GHz transmitter, like the DXe or DXS transmitters included with many of the most popular Ready-To-Fly (RTF) trainer aircraft, for wireless operation. Either way, you get an authentic experience unlike any other because you'll be able to use the same controls to "fly" on a desktop at home, or on a laptop just about anywhere!

After you learn the basics of flying, RealFlight Trainer Edition also makes it possible to learn new maneuvers including aerobatics like loops, rolls, inverted (upside down) flight and more. Plus you can upgrade to the latest full edition of RealFlight, at a discounted price of $69.99 any time via Steam (upgrade information is included in the software), to fly more than 160 different aircraft — including airplanes, helicopters, drones and more — at over 40 different flying sites to hone your skills so you become an even better pilot. With the full edition of RealFlight, you’ll also have the ability to edit aircraft and sites so there’s an almost infinite number of flying options available. Add in game-like challenges that make ongoing flight training fun, multiplayer options so you can fly and compete with other pilots online, compatibility with VR headsets, plus many more features, and you have even more ways to succeed at the field!

RealFlight Trainer Edition includes some of the most popular beginner-friendly trainer aircraft from Blade®, E-flite® and HobbyZone®:
  • Blade 230 S V2 Helicopter with SAFE® Technology
  • E-flite Apprentice® STS 1.5m with SAFE Technology
  • E-flite Habu STS 70mm EDF Jet with SAFE Technology
  • HobbyZone Carbon Cub S with SAFE Technology
  • HobbyZone AeroScout™ S with SAFE Technology
  • HobbyZone Sport Cub S with SAFE Technology

Key Features
  • The perfect tool new RC pilots can use to learn to fly successfully in less time and with fewer crashes of their “real” models
  • Industry-leading True-To-Life™ physics that make every flight more lifelike than any other sim
  • A simple and intuitive interface for zero learning curve, zero hassle, and more fun
  • Fly 5 of the most popular airplanes and 1 helicopter from the Best Brands in RC
  • Virtual Flight Instructor lessons perfect for new pilots learning to fly
  • Compatible with the Spekturm™ InterLink® DX Simulator Controller (sold separately)
  • Works with Spektrum wireless simulator dongles for use with compatible DSM2/DSMX equipped transmitters (sold separately)
  • Upgrade to the latest full edition of RealFlight via Steam® any time at a discounted price of $69.99
  • Easy to download, install and run via Steam® – no DVD drive required

Last edited by Jason M; Jul 31, 2020 at 02:01 PM.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:57 PM
Go Sabres!
Thanks. I didn't realize that was only a flight controller and not a receiver. So is that flight controller compatible with any Spektrum receiver? Are the Safe modes and landing assist controlled by the flight controller?
Jul 31, 2020, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
The flight controller is only currently compatible with the Spektrum 4650C "SRXL2 DSMX Receiver with Connector Installed" that's $34.99:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../SPM4650C.html

The SAFE flight modes, including Beginner, Intermediate and Experienced mode, as well as the compatibility with the Landing Assist Sensor (LAS), are programmed in the flight controller.
Jul 31, 2020, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Because the Habu STS (STS = Smart Trainer w/SAFE) 70mm EDF is primarily intended to be a trainer for first-time/low-time RC pilots. It's also a great no hassles, no frills, bank-and-yank-til-your-heart's-content EDF for experienced pilots too...but we didn't/don't expect it to appeal to everyone

Also, it probably won't be our last Habu…
Good point. I was actually wondering why it didn't have flaps and retracts. Now it makes since after reading your reply. However, it would be nice to have the ability to modify this jet easily with those additional functions. After a new pilot is ready to advance, they could then easily modify this jet with the additional functions. And for those of us who are already advanced, we can get this model and modify it right off the bat to accommodate our desired flying style(s)

The original Habu 2 also didn't come with retracts and flaps, but had elevator servo and retract pockets pre-molded into the wing and fuse for anyone who desired to install them.
Jul 31, 2020, 02:04 PM
Go Sabres!
Interesting. Can that combination be put in another plane? Does it need to be tuned to another plane?
Jul 31, 2020, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrre
Couldnt you just have installed the 637 in the BNF? I must say that the product video had me sold as it seems like a lot of fun on 4S, but I bet that many like me doesnt really want anything but AS3X anyway, except maybe SAFE for handlaunch. BTW, is it the same edf unit that was in the original Habu? That was more than sufficient for me on 4S, and if so I know what kind of power this version has as well.
We chose to install the flight controller so we could have compatibility with the Landing Assist Sensor (LAS)...which we suspect many first-time RC pilots will appreciate and benefit from. We also hoped to make it work with GPS so there was an option to add SAFE Plus (SAFE+) features including Auto Land, Holding Pattern and Virtual Fence, but that did not work out so hat option is not available for the Habu STS. And that's why we didn't use the AR637T in the RTF version, and why we don't offer a BNF Basic version. However, as we've also posted in a few other places now:

Quote:
No BNF Basic option for this one due to the added cost associated with the flight controller (which includes a barometer that offers the "invisible floor" functionality, makes upgrading to the LAS and other functions possible) and serial receiver included in the RTF version. Those cost more than an AR636 or AR637T receiver, and would have made the price for a BNF Basic version about $60 more than the PNP version.

That said, we do plan on providing an AR636 model file that includes AS3X and SAFE Select tuned for the Habu STS so anyone who has a spare 636 and would like to install it in the PNP version can (that will hopefully be ready in about 2 weeks when these begin shipping). We may also offer a Habu STS setup for the AR637T, but the 636 is our priority for now since so many people already have those receivers on hand.
The power system is all-new, including a more efficient 10-blade 70mm fan, outrunner motor and 70-amp telemetry-capable ESC. It offers more thrust, speed, and better flight times than the power system installed in the original Habu and the Habu 2.
Jul 31, 2020, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Interesting. Can that combination be put in another plane? Does it need to be tuned to another plane?
It would need to be tuned for use in another airplane, and it's not currently possible for users to adjust the settings.
Jul 31, 2020, 02:16 PM
I think that the step from beginner mode to intermediate and expert mode is huge.
It should be explained, if the user may adapt dual rates and expo in the more advanced modes.
I guess, that a user may always recover back to beginner mode.
Is now intermediate and advanced mode AS3X, using normal rate mode ?
Other gyros also offer the AVCS (3D) mode.
I personally think, that you can better land in AVCS mode than normal rate mode.
AVCS better balances wind disturbance.

I personally think that a beginner can only fly this plane in beginner mode. He could never switch to an intermediate or expert mode, if does not adapt the throw of the surfaces (dual rate, expo).
Jul 31, 2020, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar Mark II
Good point. I was actually wondering why it didn't have flaps and retracts. Now it makes since after reading your reply. However, it would be nice to have the ability to modify this jet easily with those additional functions. After a new pilot is ready to advance, they could then easily modify this jet with the additional functions. And for those of us who are already advanced, we can get this model and modify it right off the bat to accommodate our desired flying style(s)

The original Habu 2 also didn't come with retracts and flaps, but had elevator servo and retract pockets pre-molded into the wing and fuse for anyone who desired to install them.
Yes, we did discuss this quite a bit early on in the development of this model. Adding pockets for servos and recesses for flaps wouldn't have added much weight/cost, but the hardware for it would have...and as you can see in the videos, this model already lands EXTREMELY slow without flaps. Check out my landing starting around the 8:35 mark in this video for reference (which is with the heavier 4S 4000mAh battery installed...it lands even slower with 4S 2200-3200mAh batteries and 3S 3200-4000mAh batteries installed):

BONUS Flight Talk: E-flite® Habu STS 70mm EDF Jet (flown with 4S, grass ops, and more!) (9 min 49 sec)

Also, additional structure, mounts, etc. to support optional retracts would have added considerable complexity, weight, cost, etc. Some experienced pilots would have appreciated and taken advantage of that, but it goes against the main intent and goal of this model...which is to provide an EDF jet alternative that's (for the most part) as easy to fly, durable and simple as more "traditional" high-wing, prop-driven trainers.
Jul 31, 2020, 02:26 PM
Thanks for pointing out the hand launch in the video Jason. Look so easy. I would definitely buy the plane if it came in a regular BNF. 219 for PNP is expensive. With no retract and as3x I think 179.99 would be more reasonable. Once you add as3x your in viper territory with less options. Good luck with it. It's a great idea. I know you have something more fitting for us more experienced pilots coming soon. Can't wait.

Quick Reply