Jul 30, 2020, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flyer
I think that this is a forward looking model. It is something that a new “younger” student will want to fly.
Exactly!! One goal of the Habu STS is to bring more new pilots to the hobby who have little to no interest in learning to fly on a "traditional, old-fashioned looking" trainer.

Quote:
Hopefully the “Old Guard” instructors in the Clubs will “allow” this to be used as a training platform.
We hope so too! It took many of them a few extra years to accept models like the Apprentice...especially the later versions with SAFE. In the meantime their lack of acceptance did unfortunately turn many people away We can pretty much guarantee a first-time pilot will be successful learning to fly RC with the Habu STS when they have the assistance and support of a club and/or instructor!

Quote:
My only thought is that it may have a little too short of endurance for a good lesson. I may have missed it, what is the typical flight duration under training loads?
7-10 minutes with the stock 3S 4000mAh 30C battery and typical throttle management. Can be stretched to 12-15 minutes with only low-power flying, and won't fly as long as an Apprentice or other more traditional trainers, but even 7-10 minutes is twice as long as most EDFs and isn't too bad for a good lesson!
Last edited by Jason M; Jul 30, 2020 at 07:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2020, 08:05 PM
Its a foamy, WHY ? . No optional retracts for it?? Why not?? No option to install flaps? Why not?? Are you going to come out with one that has retracts and flaps option? If not, Why not ?? I still have my original Habu from 10yrs ago and an extra one NIB, and 2ea Habu 2's. Was hoping a (the) new Habu would be a larger version of the Habu 32x. Oh well , will save myself $200 or so bucks for something else
Jul 30, 2020, 08:35 PM
Modeling Retread
If they add more models to this relaxed performance jet line, the new Boeing/SAAB trainer that’s going to replace the T38 would be a good choice.
Latest blog entry: Why Do A Build Log?
Jul 30, 2020, 08:39 PM
This does look like an interesting idea, I know for sure when I started flying a few years ago (I was 12 or 13) I would've taken this over an apprentice in a heartbeat. Hoping this is a big success, as that could even further increase the popularity of edf's, and that's currently all I fly.

But the real question is when is that updated habu32/32X coming?
Jul 30, 2020, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdktr
Its a foamy, WHY ? . No optional retracts for it?? Why not?? No option to install flaps? Why not?? Are you going to come out with one that has retracts and flaps option? If not, Why not ?? I still have my original Habu from 10yrs ago and an extra one NIB, and 2ea Habu 2's. Was hoping a (the) new Habu would be a larger version of the Habu 32x. Oh well , will save myself $200 or so bucks for something else
Because the Habu STS (STS = Smart Trainer w/SAFE) 70mm EDF is primarily intended to be a trainer for first-time/low-time RC pilots. It's also a great no hassles, no frills, bank-and-yank-til-your-heart's-content EDF for experienced pilots too...but we didn't/don't expect it to appeal to everyone

Also, it probably won't be our last Habu…
Jul 30, 2020, 09:15 PM
The real question is does it fly 140mph? and have 10min flight times lol
Jul 30, 2020, 09:23 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Exactly!! One goal of the Habu STS is to bring more new pilots to the hobby who have little to no interest in learning to fly on a "traditional, old-fashioned looking" trainer.

We hope so too! It took many of them a few extra years to accept models like the Apprentice...especially the later versions with SAFE. In the meantime their lack of acceptance did unfortunately turn many people away We can pretty much guarantee a first-time pilot will be successful learning to fly RC with the Habu STS when they have the assistance and support of a club and/or instructor!

7-10 minutes with the stock 3S 4000mAh 30C battery and typical throttle management. Can be stretched to 12-15 minutes with only low-power flying, and won't fly as long as an Apprentice or other more traditional trainers, but even 7-10 minutes is twice as long as most EDFs and isn't too bad for a good lesson!
Impressive flight times, indeed !

RF
Jul 30, 2020, 09:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by C601
The real question is does it fly 140mph? and have 10min flight times lol
Nope! And yep!

Jul 30, 2020, 09:40 PM
Well, I'm torn. I think the promise of a "beginner" EDF jet is savvy marketing. A lot of newbs want "the cool looking plane" and are hard to dissuade with rational advice. I'm sure HH's assurances about slow flight, forgiving handling and wing loading are accurate and we'll be impressed at how docile it is compared to expectation.

However, beginners will see that it can take off on grass and they'll be tempted to try it at a local park instead of a flying field. Beginners are notoriously poor at estimating how much airspace they'll need for first flights. There will be a temptation to flip to Intermediate or Advanced mode before the pilot is ready. There's also the issue of EDF noise. The only time we've ever had any issues flying in local parks is when someone tries flying an EDF (usually a beginner). Residential neighbors complain and it screws things up for all the pilots who use the park without ever getting complaints. The only positive was that a beginner's first EDF jet park flight was usually very short (and their last). In "fixing" that problem, Horizon may be creating another.

RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
Last edited by Markran; Jul 30, 2020 at 09:52 PM.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Because the Habu STS (STS = Smart Trainer w/SAFE) 70mm EDF is primarily intended to be a trainer for first-time/low-time RC pilots. It's also a great no hassles, no frills, bank-and-yank-til-your-heart's-content EDF for experienced pilots too...but we didn't/don't expect it to appeal to everyone

Also, it probably won't be our last Habu…
That's exciting because I miss the habu. Make one 70mm 6s with great gear. I'm about to give up on this hobby because most planes have horrible gear. It's really the weakness in this hobby. I love the viper but the gear is horrible. I think the habu is a great airframe and deserves to be made for an experienced pilot but with good components. The white habu had horrible front gear. That plate kept breaking. Ok I'm rambling. It's 3am sorry.
Jul 31, 2020, 01:48 AM
Quote:
No BNF Basic option for this one due to the added cost associated with the flight controller (which includes a barometer that offers the "invisible floor" functionality, makes upgrading to the LAS and other functions possible) and serial receiver included in the RTF version. Those cost more than an AR636 or AR637T receiver, and would have made the price for a BNF Basic version about $60 more than the PNP version (which would be about the same price as the BNF Basic version of the Viper 70mm).
Couldnt you just have installed the 637 in the BNF? I must say that the product video had me sold as it seems like a lot of fun on 4S, but I bet that many like me doesnt really want anything but AS3X anyway, except maybe SAFE for handlaunch. BTW, is it the same edf unit that was in the original Habu? That was more than sufficient for me on 4S, and if so I know what kind of power this version has as well.
Last edited by Kyrre; Jul 31, 2020 at 03:19 AM.
Jul 31, 2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Also, it probably won't be our last Habu… [/QUOTE]

YAY !!!! Will be waiting
Jul 31, 2020, 11:14 AM
I think it’s good to have a stronger and heavier beginner plane. The choice between 3S and 4S with a heavier lipo is good.
In our region we are always confronted with stronger crosswinds. A beginner cannot wait endlessly for a calm day. A beginner needs continuous practice.
I have been using a lot the HZ Delta Ray brushless upgraded. This plane is twin engine. I started with 2x 120 Watt motors and later moved on over several steps to 2x 500 Watt motors.
The last named version was comparable to the F14 jet.

The new EFlite Habu has now everything immediately ready. It is powerful, beginner friendly and has rescue mode.
Only of poor quality is the nose wheel ( see RC Geek’s Youtube video: his son flew it).
Also I would consider the long nose as too fragile in a flip over on a beginner landing.

But altogether a good plane. I would take the PNP version.
Jul 31, 2020, 11:28 AM
Hello,
Can we handlaunch this Habu on 3s ?
Jul 31, 2020, 11:50 AM
Go Sabres!
Well played Horizon. I have a 13yr old who is intrigued. Can you tell me some more about the landing sensor? I've taught him to fly but landing is still a challenge. Yeah, I know thats the hard part.

Quick Reply