Sep 17, 2020, 03:31 PM
Avg Joe trying to be a Pro...
Didn't get to go through the entire thread, but this plane is awesome, complete novice you ask in my video there is my neighbor that is flying it. Take off and landings! I would also say I'm a novice. I've had some experience with trainer planes, and this is light years ahead of those!
Beginner Pilot flying my Habu STS, F-15 and EC-1500 (16 min 6 sec)

Thanks,
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
I'll always say that Eflite planes have some sort of magical quality in the air. They are usually lighter, better flying and floatier than the same plane by another brand.

I have flown a friend's Carbon Z T28 at impossibly slow speed...like walking speed! A T28 just shouldn't be able to fly that slow!

But....Calling the Habu and Apprentice "interchangeable" is quite the announcement! My only real doubt is that an EDF has a delay in thrust vs. a prop plane, making the Habu more of a challenge to get out of trouble.

But I haven't flown it...or more importantly can't fly it under the skill of a novice. It's hard to un-know experience. I'm not saying I'm the greatest pilot ever, but after flying for 15 years, there are skills one takes for granted.

I guess I'm just so surprised to see an EDF recommended as a first plane!

I'd love to see a video of this plane in the hands of a complete novice...even if just to shut me up.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2020, 04:27 PM
Jason said: We do plan .......

Question is, what happend to the plan?
To install a AR636 ist not that tricky, to programm it for the Habu is not spezial.
But as Jason said, for Beginners is the RTF the better choice.

In my opinion, many Pilots do not need the SAFE Feature. With SAFE switched on, it is no fun to fly ! Only not experiencend Pilots do need SAFE.

I do have a spare AR636, I programmed that for a Sport Cub. I think, it would work fine in the Habu . I ordered the Habu with FC and Reciever, to see what the FC is doing

Roland
Sep 17, 2020, 05:00 PM

I hope more people that think of flying buy this!

So I finished reading the whole tread....
My experience, back in 1980ish I bought a Tamiya RC Buggy. 1989 I was serving in Germany and I ordered a PT40 from TH built it and found the local hobby shop in town and got him to teach me how to fly. After the second training period I was pretty much just flying with the guys. I also flew the original "Foamies" that the Army had since I was in Air Defense Artillery we would use them for live fire exercises. 20mm 1400 rounds a min, believe it or not, it took a lot to knock them out of the sky! Usually radio or motor would do it. You would see a bunch of foam go flying but the plane would just continue. Too funny at times.

2000's I got an E-Flight duel blade helicopter flew it at home for a year maybe. Around 2014 I bought a HD Drone, that really doesn't count too much. Well now I see these EDF's and everyone was telling me to stay away, they are too fast for beginners... Well when I saw the announcement of the Habu STS I pre ordered it asap. I joined the AMA, went to the local club with my new plane and they wouldn't even look at it and absolutely wouldn't let it come out of my truck. They didn't want any part of it. An EDF can NOT be a TRAINER! I had to fly basically the PT 40 again. That sucked! I think the people in this hobby for a long time need to reevaluate the recommendations to beginners.
Basically they wanted me to go through this step by step guide out of the 1980's... Not this guy, and I feel sorry for all the people that want to get into this hobby and are confronted with that attitude. Our way or the highway. Don't get me wrong, they were very friendly and nice people but the stringent rules they had in place where just too many hoops to jump though. It's surely one of the reason surface and FPV drones are so popular.

I used the RF Trainer for a few nights and decided to fly it. Best decision I made. I've made some mistakes but I tell you my neighbor has no flight experience and he's flying it now, his son is 11 and he's flying it with no training. This plane is easy to fix, easy to fly! By my previous video you can see I upgraded 2 more planes. The F-15 is my Favorite, but I love all of them! I'm just having a great time. Crashes, yes but they are easy to fix! Would I crash less with an instructor, obviously I would crash less. But I will take my path any day before I go the other way.
Performance wise, a couple of posts up, R/CDawg showed how acrobatic this jet is. That was just jaw dropping for me! What is there not to like? The price... but imho you get what you pay for. Everything you need to fly and practice in one box, I think HH knocked it out of the park.

Brian.
Sep 17, 2020, 06:09 PM
Gravity Sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcxer

To install a AR636 ist not that tricky, to programm it for the Habu is not spezial.
But as Jason said, for Beginners is the RTF the better choice.

In my opinion, many Pilots do not need the SAFE Feature. With SAFE switched on, it is no fun to fly ! Only not experiencend Pilots do need SAFE.

I do have a spare AR636, I programmed that for a Sport Cub. I think, it would work fine in the Habu . I ordered the Habu with FC and Reciever, to see what the FC is doing

Roland
I am aware what was said, but it is sad how they cannot follow-up with product development once they launch something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
That said, we do plan on providing an AR636 model file that includes AS3X and SAFE Select tuned for the Habu STS so anyone who has a spare 636 and would like to install it in the PNP version can (that will hopefully be ready in about 2 weeks when these begin shipping). We may also offer a Habu STS setup for the AR637T, but the 636 is our priority for now since so many people already have those receivers on hand.
I have asked several times as well as sent in messages and emails and have received 0 response back. Jason was on today though to post comments about their launch of the new F-18. Well I know 1 guy who won't be buying it. I would rather buy something from a company who will give you answers and support. HH needs to get back to the basics learn what customer support is. RC Club Legend.....lol what a joke
Sep 18, 2020, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
James, welcome to RCG. Do you fly by yourself or with some one else or a club? Can you take a pic of the damage so we give you better advice on what you're dealing with?
Appreciate the reply! I fly on my own, at the moment...I actually had a go at gluing some of the breakage back together - the picture attached should show how warped the nose is though - I did actually fly it again, in the condition you see it in this picture - obviously the CG was way out and banking left was very laboured; what with all the weight in the nose now skewed to the right (as it flies).

I've got a new fuse on order, so I'm hoping it's relatively straightforward to just transfer the electronics from the banana to the new one!

Thanks again for the reply.
Sep 18, 2020, 09:43 AM
Heat the nose with a hair dryer and and carefully bend it back into alignment.
Sep 18, 2020, 09:48 AM
No need to order Parts.

You better ask before you start to "repair"
Hot Water would have done a got job, to the Banana-Nose.

You do need mor Sim-Training, ore some help!
mfg
Roland
Sep 18, 2020, 10:01 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Never tried a hair drier. Didn't think it would get hot enough to be effective.

I have "boiled and ARF" a few times. Dipping the foam into or pouring boiling water over the parts does a good job of reshaping them.

Fit the puzzle back together and glue with white polyurethane adhesive. Apply a little less glue than you think you need. Fit the repair together to distribute the glue and pull apart. Spritz one or both glue surfaces with water and fit back together. You will need to keep the repair aligned and stable while the adhesive cures. It is quick enough that you can just hold them together by hand. Let the expanding glue ooze. It is real easy to trim off the excess with a razor blade. BTW: The white polyurethane adhesive will yellow once it is out in the sun.
Sep 18, 2020, 10:57 AM
No worries, I wouldn't put the new fuse in until you have flown it many more times!
See my video at the end, my Habu has a little more than a banana shape to it, and it still flies great. I got a 5 gallon bucket of very hot water and let it soak and then with rubber gloves on to protect my hands from the heat, I bend the nose back and hold for a while and then let cool holding in position or use gorilla tape to hold in position and you'll have a straight nose in no time. That Habu can really take a beating, so just keep flying it and get better, then when your good replace the fuse. That's what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrist
Appreciate the reply! I fly on my own, at the moment...I actually had a go at gluing some of the breakage back together - the picture attached should show how warped the nose is though - I did actually fly it again, in the condition you see it in this picture - obviously the CG was way out and banking left was very laboured; what with all the weight in the nose now skewed to the right (as it flies).

I've got a new fuse on order, so I'm hoping it's relatively straightforward to just transfer the electronics from the banana to the new one!

Thanks again for the reply.
Sep 18, 2020, 12:58 PM
James, good job getting everything glued back together. That shows a good level of commitment.

Be aware that using hot water on foam usually expands the individual foam beads which makes the interfaces between them more noticeable. It's called alligator skin. Foam things painted black will get alligator skin from just sitting in the summer sun . White foam will do it with hot water.
If it happens, don't worry about it. There are ways to fix it (well actually cover it up). But, you're not trying to enter a scale competition anyway.

You do need to at least find out where the RC clubs are around you. When you meet others in your area that fly RC it'll help you have an intelligent conversation with them.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/club-finder

Also, the FCC now considers RC planes the same as drones. They require all RC pilots to register on the FCC website. and put their FCC registration # somewhere visible on the outside of every plane. Then, there are height limits depending on how close to an airport you are and whether you are on club site or not.

I would suggest finding the 3 closest clubs to you and go visit each one. Every club has it's own culture and you will resonate with one more than another. Ask lots of questions and find out about local airports and flying ceilings around you.
Sep 19, 2020, 08:18 AM
Quote:

Maybe the plan is to release it when the pnp becomes available?
Sep 19, 2020, 11:12 PM
Gravity Sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrre
Maybe the plan is to release it when the pnp becomes available?
I have a PNP already so I donít think that is the case.
Sep 20, 2020, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=MJ=-
I have a PNP already so I donít think that is the case.
My bad then, I just saw somewhere that it wasnt available until October
Sep 20, 2020, 11:57 AM
First Flight today.
In my opinion CG is with Stock Lipo 3S 4.000 to far behind.
Flight Time ist short .

Safe Mode is not my Mode.
I think, a good choice for Lipo could be 4S 5.000mAh.
mfg
Roland
Sep 21, 2020, 02:25 AM
Quote:
First Flight today.
In my opinion CG is with Stock Lipo 3S 4.000 to far behind.
Flight Time ist short .

Safe Mode is not my Mode.
I think, a good choice for Lipo could be 4S 5.000mAh.
mfg
Roland
What flight times are you getting? I got about 5 mins on the original Habu with a 4S 3300. Based on other edf's I now own, like the E-Flite F-16 70mm, thats not to bad. I am (or at least was) considering the pnp, as it looks like a lot of fun on full rates and 4S, but not so much if the flight time is less than the original.

Quick Reply