Jul 28, 2020, 11:17 PM
Radjet 120 Mph
Thread OP
Discussion

I dropped my radio and now I have a problem

While putting my planes together I dropped my Spektrum DX9 TX from about 4 feet. My flap switch came loose but everything else looked fine. Until I tried my first flight. Of the day when I move the ailerons left or right and relax the sticks the ailerons do not return to neutral and the plane keeps rolling . You can force the aileron by pushing the opposite direction. Makes for a interesting flight experience. This is a problem only with the ailerons on the TX. I connected 3 other airplanes and all had the same problem. Before I tear into this TX does anyone have any idea what to look for? how to test the gimbal and where I can get parts if needed.

Thanks Bob
Last edited by Biker66; Jul 31, 2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: More accurate discription
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2020, 12:24 AM
Radjet 120 Mph
Thread OP
And just to clarify It only happens in one direction. Ailiron to the right and return to center, Ailiron to the left and it stays left when I release the stick.
Jul 29, 2020, 07:00 AM
Perpetual Noob
Send it in for repair.
Jul 29, 2020, 08:29 AM
Change title to “ I dropped my radio and now I have a problem.”
Send it in for repair, the sooner you do the quicker it will be repaired!
Jul 29, 2020, 10:49 AM
Radjet 120 Mph
Thread OP
OK Thanks everyone, that's what ill do
Jul 29, 2020, 12:37 PM
TX abuse.
Jul 29, 2020, 01:48 PM
I saw what you did there Quietfly.
Jul 31, 2020, 11:08 AM
Radjet 120 Mph
Thread OP
I bought a new DX9 to keep flying but am thinking about replacing the gimbals on my defective unit with the FrSky M9 Hal Gimbals.
Jul 31, 2020, 11:37 AM
Sounds like it's physically broken. Like a spring or spring attachment point.
Open it up and look. Mechanically they're pretty simple.

Edit; The manual has pics and steps to split the case.
Last edited by William A; Jul 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM.
Aug 01, 2020, 07:00 AM
Next time consider buying a radio that you can buy parts for. Then you can fix it yourself.
Aug 01, 2020, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 049flyer
Next time consider buying a radio that you can buy parts for. Then you can fix it yourself.
Messing around with a radio transmitting device, without the appropriate licenses, testing equipment and certification, is illegal in the USA.....
Aug 01, 2020, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Messing around with a radio transmitting device, without the appropriate licenses, testing equipment and certification, is illegal in the USA.....
I think you are mistaken. Have you never replaced a transmitter battery or antenna?

You may not mess with the RF output circuitry, but you may change other parts like switches, gimbals, batteries, antenna, even the case.

There are manufacturers that make all commonly damaged parts available to the public for replacement in the event of damage. And at very attractive prices I might add.
Last edited by 049flyer; Aug 01, 2020 at 09:38 PM.
Aug 01, 2020, 09:40 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 049flyer
Spektrum/Horizon support is good enough that this is a non-issue. They'll fix just about anything for the cost of shipping.

It can be a real issue for some other brands, and not necessarily the ones you expect (good luck getting Graupner service in the USA right now)
Aug 01, 2020, 09:43 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
With modern systems, that's only an issue if you are messing with the RF module or an antenna mod. You can do pretty much anything you want to the rest of the radio and remain legal.

Older FM/PCM radios definitely required the licenses and certification if they were manually tuneable (some of the late designs used fully solid state RF modules).

PS, even then a HAM Technician license is sufficient as long as you work on your own equipment.
Aug 01, 2020, 10:15 PM
Echo just send it in but I wouldn’t expect gratis repair for obvious damage. But they will go through it too.

Quick Reply