This thread is privately moderated by KB1BBY, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 28, 2020, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My collection of 45 balsa KITS...

I was involved in many facets of radio control, as well as a bit of control line and free flight in the early 1990's. LIFE happened and left me no spare time to continue the hobby. Been in and out of the ham radio hobby, ever since getting FCC licensed in the early 1990's as well. More recently, I finally gave up owning and riding street motorcycles, due to the many unsafe drivers out on the public streets and highways. Still love dirt bikes, just as much as I did as a teen.

Despite the fact that I can fly and land my 2 R/C helicopters with no major problems, I have always been too "chicken" to fly any of my planes without a veteran R/C pilot at my side to LAND them for me. I have done very well on flight simulators, but wrecking real model planes has never been on my "to-do" list. But I have also finally come to accept that it will sometimes inevitably happen, so my best bet is to just practice on the cheaper ARF trainers and simple inexpensive kits and just wait until I feel comfortable and confident enough to fly the nicer planes.

At any rate, the following series of photos is a basic list of my current collection of 45 BALSA KITS. Be sure to click on "SEE ALL IMAGES IN THREAD". I'm sure you will recognize many of them....KB1BBY/Scott
Last edited by KB1BBY; Jul 29, 2020 at 07:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2021, 12:37 AM
Groundloop World Champion
Hello Scott,
I very much enjoyed reading about your varied work experience over the years. Perused the various many aircraft you have to build and your plans for them. The advent of electric brushless power makes me feel like I am cheating compared to previous years experiences with glo power. It is good to trade the noise of 2 stroke glo for the relative silence of EP in this noisy world. Though I must admit I enjoyed the scream of that little Super Tigre X.11
I am an Airtronics RC system person. Started in 72mhz Airtronics systems. I have Airtronics 2.4Ghz systems now.
I would like to ask is converting an Airtronics 72mhz system to Airtronics 2.4Ghz within the realm of a realistic project ?? My all time favorite system is an Airtronics Infinity 660 6 channel 72mhz system. it was ahead of its time with numbered switches the software allowed functions to be assigned to, very flexible !! I have two of them. It uses a plugin RF module. I also have Airtronics SD-6G 6 channel 2.4ghz systems that could possibly donate its parts for the conversion. it does not use a plugin RF module. I do not have schematics and I do not think they are available.
I would be happy and pleased to pay for your time and expertise.

Thanks
Old_dude
aka: Robert Wright
Apr 24, 2021, 02:01 AM
Thread OP

Airtronics Infinity 660....

Hello Robert. I still have an old Airtronics infinity 600A in the original box and I have very mixed feelings about it, but I am sure the 660 is a better radio system. I really like the old Radiant 6P and Vanguard VG7P radios myself.

The electronics side of converting an older 72MHz radio to the modern 2.4GHz band is really not difficult at all (just 4 jumper wires really)....AS LONG AS the old 72MHz radio you are wanting to convert HAS PPM ENCODER OUTPUT. Radios that are PCM ONLY are NOT FEASIBLE candidates for 2.4GHz conversion, so I don't even bother with PCM ONLY radios at all. The challenging part is finding the PHYSICAL INTERNAL SPACE to safely fit and mount the newer 2.4GHz transmit module inside or even on the back of the old 72MHz radio. If you want to send them to me, I will see what I can do. Worst case scenario is that I may need to mount the 2.4GHz TX module permanently inside the module bay of your older 660. But MAYBE I can find some space INSIDE the 660 to mount a newer 2.4GHz module. You really should consider just using an aftermarket DIY 2.4GHz TX module from a company like FrSky, RadioLink or even Corona. These options are rock solid reliable 2.4GHz RF LINKS and the compatible receivers will cost you A LOT LESS MONEY than buying Airtronics 2.4GHz receivers!! I still have a few DIY 2.4GHz modules from FrSky in my parts stock and I might even have a Corona TX module with a few matching receivers. Just some food for thought....KB1BBY/Scott
Last edited by KB1BBY; Apr 24, 2021 at 02:20 AM.

Quick Reply