14-Foot Me. 321 GIGANT- The time is NOW!

It has been six years since I pushed the size boundaries so I'm starting a thread for the new (overdue) project; the 168-inch MESSERSCHMITT GIGANT!

Splash

Hello once again from the frame shop!

I'm Barrett and some of you know me, some of you don't. In 2010 I built the 100-inch foam Spruce Goose. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-takes-flight

In 2014 I built the 12-foot foamie B-36 Peacemaker https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-36-Peacemaker

It has been six years since I pushed the size boundaries so I'm starting a thread for the new (overdue) project; the 168-inch MESSERSCHMITT GIGANT!

And yes, you'll note I said 321 Gigant. I never personally liked the appearance of the 6-engined powered Gigant and I want to present the image of the clean-winged 321. But with a shortage of Me. 110s around I still need to power this..... monster.

Current plans call for a 14-inch wing with TWO large-ish electric motors in the TRAILING edge of the wing, somewhat inconspicuous, propelling the Gigant while, from head on, still appearing to be the glider version.

Construction will be (my) traditional 'foam box' type and that approach is I think particularly valid for the slab-sided Gigant. Will also help keep weight down, especially aft of the wing where weight is most critical.

Span= 168 inches (14 feet) Length= 86 inches AUW= ???? Let me build the airframe and we'll talk. Happily I'm not tied to any particular motors at this time. I would love to keep it 3-4 cell batteries if possible, that's all.

Still thinking drop-away main landing wheels with skids and a fixed (inconspicuous) steerable nose wheel. However, fixed 323-style landing wheels have definite advantages when you wanna clear the runway sooner ;)

Still on the table however is a rare 4-engined Gigant if I decide the pusher motors are not practical. The first powered Gigants were converted gliders and the first of those used 4 engines not 6.

Needs to be done by mid-September for a flying event in Utah so I predict August is going to be a very busy month. :popcorn:

So grab a chair, subscribe and watch this thing come together.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jul 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM..
Jul 27, 2020, 04:06 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Hopefully starting the fuselage tonight.
Jul 28, 2020, 09:35 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Big is always better

I couldn't find what span this one was, it just refers to 16 sq.meters, 25kg, and on a single motor.

Good luck with the Gigant project.

Spectacular HUGE RC plane. 16 square meter wing SLOW MFK FALKEN (11 min 23 sec)

Ray.
Jul 28, 2020, 11:06 AM
Pro Hoarder
Well this will be fun!
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 28, 2020, 11:16 AM
Back to Boats
Thread OP

Fuselage construction

Thanks!

Got the bulk of fuselage work done last night. First batch of pictures are ready.

The whole thing is made from a material we call Foam-Core which is a 3/16 inch thick foam sheet sided with paper. I think its what people in the hobby call "Dollar Tree Foam" but we get it in 48X96 inch sheets. There are a couple of kinds; normal (heavier) and acid-free which is very light.

I elected to make the main (forward) fuselage section out of the heavier stock to absorb the weight of the wing, batteries, landing wheels, etc., and make the aft fuselage and tail out of the lightweight foam for obvious reasons.

The clamshell nose was a lot of fun though. I'll just cover it with tissue and dope it for the characteristic fabric-covered nose effect of the Gigant. I might have to figure out a way to keep the flight battery/batteries in there though. I have a feeling balancing this thing is going to be tough :/
Jul 28, 2020, 11:17 AM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
The area of fuselage behind the cockpit is weird looking but that area will be cut out and the shape not really visible after the wings are mated.
Jul 28, 2020, 12:15 PM
Is Asuka your Gigant glider pilot going to pilot this one? She might get your men to stay in the plane ... at least until you are off the runway. Do you still have your JU-52? I stand (actually sitting right now) in awe of your talent. You have inspired me to buy a Maxford kit to build. I will order it this week. Probably won't fit in the car for the fun fly but will let me be just a little (teeny tiny bit) creative.
Going now to Trader Joe's to buy some dill popcorn. Seems appropriate to eat while viewing the construction of your German plane. I thought my three meter sailplanes had long wings. Can't wait to see this baby in the air.
Jul 28, 2020, 01:22 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Looking cool, already!

Have fun,
Tony
Latest blog entry: 1/2A Glow Foamie Conversions
Jul 28, 2020, 01:28 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer
Is Asuka your Gigant glider pilot going to pilot this one? She might get your men to stay in the plane ... at least until you are off the runway.
Hanna Reitsch has the experience though....
Jul 28, 2020, 02:13 PM
Hey you picked Asuka over Hanna ten years ago. From all I have read Hanna was a hell of a pilot as well as a very devoted Nazi. It's your call.
Jul 28, 2020, 02:51 PM
Fantastic project!
Jul 28, 2020, 03:16 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Actually Eric Brown is the only correct choice for this beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brown_%28pilot%29
Jul 28, 2020, 04:32 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
off to a awesome start! I love the idea of doing the front in tissue! this thing is gunna be epic!
Jul 28, 2020, 04:32 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
where do you buy the foam in sheets that big?
Jul 28, 2020, 05:29 PM
Back to Boats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
where do you buy the foam in sheets that big?
Picture frame suppliers. We use a local company called International moulding. Buy it by the 25-sheet box. I um..... 'reroute' certain sheets when.... REQUIRED.

Quick Reply