Apr 08, 2002, 02:28 PM
Thread OP

Mini Tornado Build Questions

I’m building my Tornado now and noticed that the servo arms are somewhat exposed, and are on the bottom of the wing. The instructions where terrible, so I’m not sure if that they way they are suppose to be.

I buried the HS-55 servos in the foam as far as I could without going out the other side, but there is about 5 MM of arm expose. The pushrods are in a tub that you tuck into a slit in the wing.

What going to happen when I fly this bird? Are the servo arms going to sheer off on landing? Did I do this correctly? Should I put on some foam skids?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2002, 02:49 PM
I was a bit concered about this as well. I built mine as stated, and it flies great. I've only flown it indoors so far, and the Astroturf is much harder than grass or dirt, and I've had no problems so I think you should be fine. Actually, I've only landed mine a few times, most of the time I prefer to catch it. Its so slow and tracks so true thats its not a problem, and if ya have a crowd watching they love it! And its all EPP so if ya miss and it hits you between the eyes it wont leave a mark!!!

Chris
Apr 08, 2002, 08:21 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member

Mini T

Hi! I put some foam skids over the servo arms carved out so the arm is free to move. I fly the Mini T in parking lots at night and broke an arm on a servo after about 5 landings. If you stay in grass you should be OK if you set the servos in the wing as far as possible. Don't forget to cover the elevons with tape, they break!! Enjoy your Mini T it is my favorite plane and I fly it every day. It's a great size to keep in the car at all times and flys in wind quite well.

Regards.
Pete
Apr 08, 2002, 10:40 PM
Thread OP
What foam did you use?
Apr 08, 2002, 11:16 PM
USAF Vet Senior Member

Mini T

I just used some scrap EPP foam I had from some packing material. Put packing tape over the servos and glued the foam to the tape and over the servo arms. Also I made a cowl out of foam for the front part of the motor/geardrive as I ripped it off the mount landing on rough ice on the lake behind my house this winter. It acts like three landing skids and protects the servo arms and motor on landings on hard surfaces.
Good luck!

Pete

Quick Reply